Sign in to follow this  
stephsen

first impression and any questions

Just hit the browser refresh and the advert will go away.

Or hit the word to the right under the advert. The one to the right of the one next to the mute icon. Either works.

Could a soldier still be running around after being shot in the chest by mosin nagant or Kar 98k? Because i had the impression that shots in the torso would also knock a soldier down immediately.

Most likely yes but not necessarily. To just continue running like nothing happened, not so much. Not like that's a new problem in games.

first impression from a quick walk in the editor:

HURRAY! ugly lowres tex-lowres LOD - popping trees are back *facepalm*

performance seems ok so far

the new default normal-walk animation looks,feels,sounds very weird. i guess ill walk alot in crouch mode now

the maps are amazing, already love them

AND i miss JSRS :)

oh and as i already seen it in a lot of videos: why was ATOC=on chosen as default setting? vegetation looks so bad with that, AA off and FXAA enabled looks so much better and gives way more fps, or is that just on my system? i dont believe that as i seen it with my old 5770 and now with 560gtx

the new default normal-walk animation looks,feels,sounds very weird. i guess ill walk alot in crouch mode now

New run animation is to cater for the new ability to shoot while running in a forward direction. Its very inaccurate in terms of weapon accuracy but its a nice feature that wasn't in ArmA 2. I believe there is a bug with the sound config for it though because the footsteps play very quickly compared to the actual animation. Trying to get a dev to confirm.

game seems more stable from the patch. seems great, basically arma 2 with extra options in ww2.

units models are brilliant. love the variety of mounted weapons etc. Im still getting used to things but boy multiplayer with this will be epic

New run animation is to cater for the new ability to shoot while running in a forward direction. Its very inaccurate in terms of weapon accuracy but its a nice feature that wasn't in ArmA 2.

i like that new feature, but how its done, it doesnt feel right. strafing to the left is like ur standing still, strafing to the right is faster??? errr jea...

will see how this plays in mp pvp, i have the feeling it wont be that nice, at least for me

another thing i just noticed:

popping of grass 3m in front of urself, i know thats arma2 default like on chernarus. but hey theres a fix for it since ages from GDT (gdt-server.net // low plants addon, its the file gdtmod_plants2_clutter.pbo, it makes the appearing of grass into view very smooth.

Edited by RunForrest

Just had a go at the training before jumping out to dl the patch.

Looks great over all. It's also great and refreshing to finally hear decent acting...in a arma related game. Really looking forward to getting into the rest of the game.

One big problem is the player weapon sounds. They're really weak, mainly because they're ridiculously quiet..like arma2. They're the same volume as a guy 30 feet away. Please please please turn up the players weapon volume in the next patch.

If Amazon doesnt lie then i have a Boix with iron Front and two packs of delicious English Tyrells Crisps waiting for me... too bad i have one more customer after the regular worktime... cruel world... :o

First impressions: very good :D Some of the sounds cut out a bit too soon and the bug below weren't the best but overall I'm really impressed (the tiny 1k1k map is awesome), I just hope the MP scene picks up a bit, but it's still very early days.

Oh, also, where do we report bugs to? When I jog standing up it sounds like like half a squad running (too many step sounds for the amount of actual steps my guy is making) - I'm patched up too.

At the moment you can post on the official forum http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/503-Information-amp-Discussions

Later a dev.heaven page will be added, I think.

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Do startup commands work still from arma 2.

-nosplash -world=none -maxmem=2047 -cpucount=2 -exThreads=7

Yes, they do.

Impressions after few hours: (Patched at 1.01 and i know how to setup grafics and stuff with this engine)

Bad, im disappointed tbh. This is never on status of 1.60 OA patch. Biggest flaw: LOD popping, low res texture loading like crazy!

I tried playing sp szenario german side where u get in a plane at start. The game crashed 4 times right at start after i got in plane. I didnt dare to try another sp szenario.

MP test. C&H on Legion X server. After the mission loaded and the screen is still black i already died the first time just like that. Than - respawn, anywhere. I walk around, few minutes later the missionscreen shows what mission im playing and the mission kills me and tells me to choose respawnpoint wtf? Choosing respawnpoint doesnt work nor does changing the class. I tried 15 minutes to understand how that works. No chance. 10 deaths, didnt see 1 enemy but stuck in respawnmenu.

Coop test. Ambush mission. First impression - NICE! Thats a szenario what i like. On the way heading to the ambushpoint- nice 40-50 FPS on high to very high settings - as it should be - BUT lod and texture popping at vegetation like crazy - in OA Chernarus that belongs to the past- but not here, and like that, its not very enjoyable. Nvm i went on with the mission. I see the scout vehicle, distance maybe 100m or less, i kill the driver - reaction of other AIs in the vehicle - none, i killed them all without a hassle. The convoy approaches, i pull my AT and hit the troop transport, AIs disembark and stay where they are, easy targets. I get hit by other AI and try to get cover behind a fallen tree. Next disappointment - known from default arma - the launcher blocks my view in prone stance. I get up so i can see something, i fire a few rounds - thats the moment when the game freezes - i have to close it via task manager.

Next test. I join MP server, pvp dogfight, no AI : 25 FPS. Common is that it? Really?

Its not! I like the attention of detail on maps, the guns, the vehicles, the soldiers. The Trenches!! Oh boy how long was i waiting to see this in the ArmA series - love it.

I bought this because of the new destruction system on vehicles, but i havent even tried it yet because the flaws dominate the overall picture. Its a repeating im-not-ready-yet-slap in my face that keeps me away from enjoying this. I can see the jewel in this, but it needs time and work so that it can really shine - as usual with this engine, but i expected more - my fault i guess

Playing the campaign, I cannot get past the firing range since it does not allow me to turn when I am there and so I cannot aim at the target I am supposed to hit. Is it me doing something wrong or is it a bug? (doing for the fatherland orginal campaign)

Dan;2156269']Playing the campaign' date=' I cannot get past the firing range since it does not allow me to turn when I am there and so I cannot aim at the target I am supposed to hit. Is it me doing something wrong or is it a bug? (doing for the fatherland orginal campaign)[/quote']

Not seen that one before and I played those campaigns about 20 times! Is it the German or Russian campaign (they both have firing ranges)? In the first instance I would restart the campaign (you are on the first mission anyway) - it may be just one of those Arma type things.

EDIT ---->

Damn - just saw you mentioned the Fatherland Campaign. I played that again just this morning at it was OK - Try a restart.

Also started the German campaign, got to the firing range, out of the truck and over to your group which all sat down ... nothing happened. A minute later my character sat down ... Then nothing happened.

[EVO] Dan I had the same problem a few times but not always. I think its related to custom controls. Or do you use default keys?

---

RunForrest sorry to hear about all the issues.

# LOD popping - BI seems to work on that; see latest OA beta

# CTD with planes - known problem reported in several previews; lets hope BI and AWAR can sort it out ASAP

# The server admin of Legion X server told me it seems their server has problems as almost all players got dropped; we never had such issues in the beta

# AI - well its the arma AI, not better nor worse

# Launcher blocks view in prone stance - yes indeed very annoying. hope they fix this ASAP

# Low FPS in pvp dogfight - the mission has 4000 VD and the terrain has many objects. Do you get better FPS in such situations in Chernarus?

So don't get me wrong. You make valid points and I think some of them need to be resolved ASAP. Lets hope they are able to. :)

---

Sethos do you play veteran or expert? There is a waypoint. You need to move to the very right of the group just next to the officer.

But yes the logic/design there is not good for the completion condition.

@Sethos - you need to move just to the right of the group leader - it's quite a tight trigger point.

Quick suggestion. Nvidia doesn't have a profile for the game ( Yet? ) so if you need some of the AA compatbility bits, SLI settings etc. rename the iron front .exe to arma2oa.exe

@Sethos - you need to move just to the right of the group leader - it's quite a tight trigger point.

Oh I see! Thanks man :)

I played up until getting out of the transport at the training grounds (about 2 minutes) but had to stop to go to work. I like what I see so far. I had a CTD when I clicked on campaign pre-patch but after it worked fine. Cannot wait to play more tonight and tomorrow!

Also make sure to update to 1.01. It fixes a lot of issues in the campaign, engine and adds a lot more content to MP.

[EVO] Dan I had the same problem a few times but not always. I think its related to custom controls. Or do you use default keys?

I only used a few custom controls (such as zoom in zoom out), but didn't change any of the major one. I think they could also do with expanding the completion radius on the waypoints as this seems to be the problem some people are having. I managed to finish the first mission in the campaign (third time it worked perfectly), now on the second mission and waiting for the Ruski's to attack me a the checkpoint, not sure if its bugged though because its been 3 or 4 mins after the other guys turn up, and nothing has happened.

Using 1.01 patch btw

Also I am really enjoying the bits of the campaign I have played so far, I really liked the training ground, quite imersive (things going on around you that your not even involved in)

Having only played for a short time, the most glaring issues I found are:

Unplayable FPS in some forests, compared to up to 60FPS in more open terrain

The footstep sounds when jogging

The left jog is as slow as walking(!)

Edited by RasdenFasden

but the weapon sounds impacts etc. are realy bad the effects for weapons and impacts are really bad too (is the same effects how in arma2 vanilla :rolleyes:

I have to agree here - there are major sound problems, bad volume and mixing. The P-38 sounds like a water pistol, the loading sound is louder than actually firing it.

As much as I know this will get modded, sound always seems to be the weak link and it's a shame that it couldn't be better out of the box.

I should point out that this is only relevant to the weapons, the vehicles and ambient sound are all as they should be (from what I've heard so far).

Great game otherwise :D

Edited by BangTail

Man, my campaign ( German ) has already crashed to desktop twice in the second mission - Doesn't look good :(

Just download from BI Store and started German Campaign in which after doing the grenade tests -the game has stalled like a trigger was missed or something.

It looks pretty decent but I must agree the sounds are pretty weak and I expected a lot more in that dept. considering it's full retail.

Also, where is this patch?

I don't know why, but every time I get in a vehicle, it starts to skip and lag very bad. Is anyone else having this problem?