Sign in to follow this  
cam0flage

Addon idea

He hey again,

I got to ride a T-72 last week, it was pretty interesting and they taught us a lot about the tank. One interesting thing was that instead of the usual blue exhaust fumes the tank can release a heavy white smoke could. It is usually used to cover for example a damaged tank or infantry when others continue to advance.

Guess this wouldn't be too difficult to make, mod makers comment on this!

Too bad I didn't have a camera with me, a T-72 firing its main weapon was pretty impressive.

// cam0flage

Perhaps we should see an internation drive to get cameras into areas when they are needed straight away, this cannot be allowed to go on. biggrin.gif

It's a shame biggrin.gif I've experienced really cool things in the army like being transported in a Mi-8 Hip etc. but only pictures i've managed to take are the ones where our whole squad is wearing gasmasks, army swimming pants and suspenders.

Oh yeah, I talked to a BMP driver during the exercise with T-72s, I asked him about the armor, he said it can hold off assault rifle ammunition but even a PKM penetrates it. Guess the OFP BMPs are a bit tougher than the ones in real life ...

// cam0flage

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cam0flage @ June 18 2002,15:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh yeah, I talked to a BMP driver during the exercise with T-72s, I asked him about the armor, he said it can hold off assault rifle ammunition but even a PKM penetrates it. Guess the OFP BMPs are a bit tougher than the ones in real life ...<span id='postcolor'>

Either that or OFP's PKM is too weak. biggrin.gif

What good is a BMP if any ol' MG can go right through it?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cam0flage @ June 18 2002,14:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh yeah, I talked to a BMP driver during the exercise with T-72s, I asked him about the armor, he said it can hold off assault rifle ammunition but even a PKM penetrates it. Guess the OFP BMPs are a bit tougher than the ones in real life ...<span id='postcolor'>

Really? A LAW HEAT can fail in penetrating BMP armour. Are you sure he wasn't joking? The BMP-1 has 19 mm armour on the hull and 23 on the turret. (fas.org)

So, technically it seems to be possible. I guess i have to consult Kegetys about this one.

denoir, i don't think the driver was joking, actually he was dead serious because there was a captain from the tank brigade standing behind him. He said the weakest spots are the sides of the hull, especially in the back where the compartment for passengers is. I guess it could be possible for a PKM with proper ammunition to penetrate 19 mm armor, but who knows ...

// cam0flage

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ June 18 2002,14:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wow! Denoir deleted my spam post! biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I wanted to give you the opportunity to give us four consecutive non-spam posts. I guess I failed tounge.gif

You cannot get a smoke launcher to a T72 or or other tanks unless you want to give out the machine gun or the main cannon for it... The way it is made in the Lynx is that it fires a "dummy weapon" that doesnt damage anything, but only fires its guns... Then I changed the muzzle smoke the gun makes into a long lasting puff that enlarges to those big clouds...

OFP Tanks seem to only be able to have two guns, the main gun and the machine gun which release the muzzle smokes so to make a smoke generator you have to take one of those away for it.

But couldnt one try and make a new ammo type for the main gun which "fires" smoke?I could have look,but I am lazy *lol*

Hmm BMP armour really isnt that good but even worse (and a lot worse!wink.gif is the M113, its some tons of pressed chocolate paper...you can take it out with a MG3 easily...it just isnt up to date...

grrrrrreetz

[76]Chavez

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ June 18 2002,14:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cam0flage @ June 18 2002,14:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh yeah, I talked to a BMP driver during the exercise with T-72s, I asked him about the armor, he said it can hold off assault rifle ammunition but even a PKM penetrates it. Guess the OFP BMPs are a bit tougher than the ones in real life ...<span id='postcolor'>

Really? A LAW HEAT can fail in penetrating BMP armour. Are you sure he wasn't joking? The BMP-1 has 19 mm armour on the hull and 23 on the turret. (fas.org)<span id='postcolor'>

Im sure he wanst jokin cause when i was in army they said that 7.62 can easily go through m113 armor too

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Im sure he wanst jokin cause when i was in army they said that 7.62 can easily go through m113 armor too<span id='postcolor'>

probably true, i've been told that 7.62 bullet can penetrate 20 mm of steel.

// cam0flage

actually u can blow up the BMP and M113 on Ofp with enough machine gun ammo. And yes i no this to be true because i've done it (i really am that sad)