Sign in to follow this  
dcvm

WIP: Some old US stuff

Hi all, I'm proud to present a few screens of USMC guys. They're valid for the period between early 1980s and 1990s. At the moment futures version with PASGT vests and helmets, with ALICE gear and in woodland and OD camo. I have plans to make a desert version (yeah, 6-color desert, mmm :p) and maybe add some older stuff (OD-107 uniform, M1 helmets, etc).

Pics:

They look great, but could you post another picture of the units just standing? It's kinda hard to see with the grass and other unit in the way. But they do look pretty good from what I could see!

I like the look of them mate, nice work.

Being a long time fan of 80s SPI strategy board games, any units from this era give me a warm fuzzy feeling :) Great looking models, too. Fingers crossed here that you have time for OD & other vintage stuff :cool:

Hah, those look great - I like the faded vests and fatigues. Undone straps on the helmets add character too.

Looking good. "Heartbreak Ridge" I watched this weekend comes to mind instantly ;)

"Heartbreak Ridge" I watched this weekend comes to mind instantly

I was inspired by this film by the way :)

Awesome work mate, love the older stuff. Look forward to making a few missions with em.

The title of this thread made me think the old WIP thread was back and I got excited :/ The models look good though. I like that the units look like they've lived in country for a bit and aren't fresh off the factory line.

Big fan of 80's NATO/WP gear/weapons and "worn out war-torn" looking gear - also 6-color DBDU FTW! 10/10 so far!

Nice work. One suggestion would be to move the Compass Med pouch to the left shoulder and flip it upside down.

any more detail?

You mean when the release is :)? When it's done :p

One suggestion would be to move the Compass Med pouch to the left shoulder and flip it upside down.

Ok.

Can anyone give me advice (and photos :)) on MG pouches to use with ALICE?

Edited by dcvm

There was no specific pouches fogr the SAW or M60 until the First Gulf War time period and those were in short supply. The ammo was mostly in with the bandoliers around them for the M60 (Vietnam Style), or in a green bag (the 7.62 Belts come in 100RND Boxes with a green cloth bag. The M249 has the standard plastic drum in a green bag.)

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVGDfNILpsXxcoq_KZkme4T6BRAG2WzLVDX63VgiIj5aVHY0CyZBzNExMfxQ

7.62 Belt

It's green cotton/nylon with a strap pretty much with a cardboard liner to keep shape.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$%28KGrHqIOKiwE4qGshn4%28BOQ+JSYrP!~~0_3.JPG

5.56 200rnd Box

Same green nylon cotton bag but larger to hold the plastic 200rnd SAW box. NO cardboard

http://media.photobucket.com/image/SAW%20ammo%20bandolier/woodchuck68/ForSale/P1020315.jpg

Still made the same way today. I need to start keeping those things. Hard to find actual pictures of them full.

Edited by suhsjake

Now this is goddamn Marvelous. These dudes have character!

EDIT: Needs more beanie - everything is better with beanies.

Edited by Hund

wow. these rock!

@suhsjake

Thanks a lot!

Can anyone also give me some info about carrying M 203 grenades? I have gigabytes of USMC photos in period from 1983 to 1990 but there is nothing like bandolier or M 79 vest. Were grenades just carried in M16 pouches?

Thanks again. And about PRC-77 radio, was it worn just as is or in backpack?

I'd say both. You can google it in seconds.

Will you be doing the H-harness too, or just the Y-straps? And, can you show us the guy in the background from up-close too? I like the cap.