Sign in to follow this  
matty1053

What's the point of playing Vanilla Style?

Try harder :rolleyes:

I can't do harder if I can download the files, but can't see them when I want them to open in my arma-folder.

It's like that building in "the shadow", it's there, but you can't see it and therefor can't unpack them.

Back when Operation Flashpoint was still the best military simulator to play, before the "ArmA" series was even thought of, I always had OFP loaded up with addons. When ArmA came out I loaded up on a few addons, but definitely not as many as I had with OFP. With ArmA, I primarily used reskins of current vehicles and units. I was part of a "clan" I guess and we had our own addons, but that was it. Then ArmA II came out and I rarely used any mods or addons. As of now, I only have 3 addon folders. @Addons (For testing various addons or missions I might find interesting, currently only have KAMAZ reskins in there), @DayZ, and @PR.

So I prefer to just mess around in the editor and play a game of Insurgency now and then. I like to make my own small missions with BI units to play with friends. I do check out Armaholic often though.

I don't know why I prefer to play ArmA vanilla, but I just do. I like everything to match and be on the same level of quality.

Operation Flashpoint is ArmA btw, and I am not talking about that fake flashpoint game that came out after cm sold out BI. Back when it first came out I said I would never use addons because of how bad most the the first ones looked. Some time after that they got alot better and I had a ton of them in until this last game they made. The only thing I have in now is the Cold War Rearmed Mod, just to see the old maps really.

Arma3 vanilla should be Ace mod based,Arma it's a sim not a game,BF3 it's a game,Arma it's a simulator used by all realism units and some armies in the world.

If people it's not smart enough to play realistically there are plenty of other game designed for kids run/shoot/run like.

BiS it's a small company,trying to go mainstream would only disappoint real fun that like realism and bring nothing good because mainstream it's bf3 and COD business and their game under those aspect are far superior to arma:graphic,userfriendly,marketing

Bis must obey at milsim fan wishes,they would pay everything and like it,cod kids would only bash because of poor graphic

Operation Flashpoint is ArmA btw, and I am not talking about that fake flashpoint game that came out after cm sold out BI. Back when it first came out I said I would never use addons because of how bad most the the first ones looked. Some time after that they got alot better and I had a ton of them in until this last game they made. The only thing I have in now is the Cold War Rearmed Mod, just to see the old maps really.

I am quite aware of that R71. I played OFP back in the day and am well aware that Bohemia Interactive developed it while Codemasters published it and owned (Still owns) the name, the only thing Codemasters made was Red Hammer, which I though was garbage.

Edited by Nicholas

Arma3 vanilla should be Ace mod based,Arma it's a sim not a game,BF3 it's a game,Arma it's a simulator used by all realism units and some armies in the world.

If people it's not smart enough to play realistically there are plenty of other game designed for kids run/shoot/run like.

BiS it's a small company,trying to go mainstream would only disappoint real fun that like realism and bring nothing good because mainstream it's bf3 and COD business and their game under those aspect are far superior to arma:graphic,userfriendly,marketing

Bis must obey at milsim fan wishes,they would pay everything and like it,cod kids would only bash because of poor graphic

VBS is used by armies, not Arma (and no...they arent the same)

BIS/Arma isnt going "mainstream"

"Bis must obey"? utter bollocks. they can do as they please.

and arma doesnt have bad graphics. ive seen worse from newer games.

Arma3 vanilla should be Ace mod based,Arma it's a sim not a game

Bis must obey at milsim fan wishes

Nice parody, almost made me think you were serious for a moment. :rolleyes:

Whats the point of playing Vanila style? Its, quick, its easy, and its the way the creator intended.

I understand why ACE is so popular but it's not like it has invaded every popular server available, it is at its core a filler for those that like a particular style of play and it covers a few areas that may have been done a little better, and personaly I realy like a few of the things ACE does and realy dislike a few things ACE does. But I hope BIS is focusing on making thier own game and not one just for fans of ACE. A3 will be a seperate beast to A2. This thread feels a little like the 'What mods would you like to see for A3 thread' with everyone spaming for stuff like ACE, sound, and effects MODS, like they're expecting A3 to be broken before they've seen it. The depth of the cynicism in this forum can be quite disturbing at times.

I think playing vanilla is a good neutral experience. Not too hard, and not too dumb. Perfect for any newbies. It's BIS vision of the game, and it still wears the shiny crown of the most realistic military firstperson game out there. I'm sure A3 wont disappoint in this. I remember how lost I was when I started playing A2 3 years ago, and how I crave for more today even with ACE2 and ACRE.

Of course there will always be people who want more advanced functions and gameplay, as well as they who just want it redesigned and simplified. That's what we have the mod-tools for, and the community is very skilled and ambitious about creating their own visions and improvements to the game. ACE2 and PR are two great examples of this for A2, which should attract any players who're searching for a different level of ArmA. ACE3 is confirmed and there will definitely be more big projects like this for A3 as well, where players can choose to enhance their gameplay more to their liking.

The only thing I think vanilla is missing is a properly working VOIP. After playing with ACE2 and ACRE for over 2 years now, coming back to a more or less vanilla A2 when messing around in DayZ, good ingame communication is the only thing I'm really missing. Hopefully this will be greatly improved for A3, especially now that the DayZ-community is putting more pressure on the matter ;)

Edited by Mr. Bravo

Compared to ACE 2 (only using it as it is the best comprehensible mod relevant to realistic simulation), vanilla feels like a shoot-them-up arcade, tis a shame that mods such as these are needed in order to get the 'relevant' experience in the genre it is currently positioned in, but all that does is halves the community and decreases population on average.

Compared to ACE 2 (only using it as it is the best comprehensible mod relevant to realistic simulation), vanilla feels like a shoot-them-up arcade, tis a shame that mods such as these are needed in order to get the 'relevant' experience in the genre it is currently positioned in, but all that does is halves the community and decreases population on average.

Maybe you should play the vanilla game again, to see how far it is from a shoot'em up :rolleyes:

The relevant experience is only relevant for ACE lovers, but not for the others. DayZ shows you how various the community could be if it wasn't that elitist.

Maybe you should play the vanilla game again, to see how far it is from a shoot'em up :rolleyes:

The relevant experience is only relevant for ACE lovers, but not for the others. DayZ shows you how various the community could be if it wasn't that elitist.

DayZ is elitist in its zombie fetish with persistent MMORPG stats - all they care is endlessly strolling through their 'wasteland'. ACE 2 is used as an example, because I didn't find any armour simulation, wound treating, or any medical supplies, or even proper infantry fatigue system in vanilla. :rolleyes:

It is not about being elitist, it is about cohesion - I want tens of thousands people playing this game on-line using versions of the game that do not mismatch and break the population numbers five months after release.

P.S. Does anyone remember the time when vanilla aircraft had no counter-measure flares? Those were fun times, eh.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

More like it's about BIS promoting this as a military simulation and yet medics have infinite supplies and there's no fatigue, weapon resting and wind. It isn't like ACE fans ask for something supercomplex that will force players to study quantum physics before they will be able to get into ACE.

Surely soldiers can get tired after running non-stop for 10 hours with a 20kg backpack?

What's so elitist about asking for very basic things? Should ArmA forever stay in the same place because if bullets will get deflected by wind 500m out that will make the brains of newbie explode or something?

Because ArmA3 still looks like it's stuck in the same spot.

+1

I'm sure pretty much everyone would be fine with some of the ACE features like the ones metalcraze mentioned. Most of them simply make sense to be there.

The reason mods are so successful is that, yes, the vanilla game at times lacks some fundamental components that we all want.

For me, with ArmA 2 that's sound, explosions and realism components from ACE2.

Now, from what I understand, I believe ArmA 3 has catered for all of this. Brand new sound engine, built from the ground up, new explosions and particle effects, thrust in there with Ragdoll and Physx, and now with zeroing, improved first aid, fatigue system, weight etc etc. I think ArmA 3 vanilla is looking like it'll provide exactly what I want out of a game. What's the point of editting something that pretty much has everything you need? I know in twelve months time I might have a million mods, but for the time being, BIS seem to be delivering a pretty awesome vanilla game.

there will be always something what mods can offer what vanilla game lacks ...

if you think A3 is going to have all what ACEv2 has then you mistaken ...

that's the point of allowing game to be moddable anyway, so you don't force users to one type of gameplay, one type of mission that there is variety limited only by imagination of modders

No one expects that, but at least some basic stuff (projectiles, wind, healing, fatigue...), yeah.

DayZ is elitist in its zombie fetish with persistent MMORPG stats - all they care is endlessly strolling through their 'wasteland'.

Do DayZ people look down on other types of play in Arma 2 and show it? If not, they're not elitist. The same can't be said for all demographics in the community.

No one expects that, but at least some basic stuff (projectiles, wind, healing, fatigue...), yeah.

Arma 2 already simulate projectiles, healing and fatigue already, even wind, this last one just doesn't affect projectiles.

Arma 2 already simulate projectiles, healing and fatigue already, even wind, this last one just doesn't affect projectiles.

Yes it does, just like CoD simulates shooting from guns...

ArmA simulates fatigue?

I can run from one point of Chernarus to the opposite one (which is what? 15km?) without ever taking a break. Them people in ArmA make professional athletes burst with envy.

Do DayZ people look down on other types of play in Arma 2 and show it? If not, they're not elitist. The same can't be said for all demographics in the community.

Do I look down on anyone in this regard? Well, only on the cod derps - perhaps, but not anyone here... wait, the cod derps have already disembarked into ArmA with the advent of DayZ, which negates the prime argument that complex games can't attract said cod herpaderps and other ADD victims.

It simulates fatigue and projectiles to an extent. I am happy with that extent. By some people's logic here, I must be a mouth breathing retard for not wanting uber realism.