Sign in to follow this  

Moderator and member relations

This seems to be a hot topic right now, so why

don't we discuss it in a nice friendly manner?

Here are some of my thoughts:

I must say that in many ways it sucks being a moderator. The major part of this comes from the fact that people suddenly start to treat you differently. There are basically two versions of that, one is kissing ass and the other one is challanging you aggressively. The people that you like alienate you. The people who you like to argue with and debate with start to go soft on you, not wanting to get into a conflict. Every comment that you make is taken as a threat. This makes me very sad since all the fun I have had in this foum has come from open discussions with all you people. sad.gif

I can't see why it has to be like that. Moderators are the janitors of the forum. We are the sanitation workers. And we work for the interests of our members. People don't get banned for expressing their views. Threads are not closed because of difference in opinions.

There is an unhealthy 'us' against 'them' mentality. We definetly don't need that kind of segregation. I am still that 'pinko-commie-liberal-bastard' denoir that I was a week ago smile.gif The things I write here in the forums are still my own opinions. You are very welcome to bash them as much as you want! The only thing that is different is that I occasionally move some posts that are in the wrong forum or close spam- or offensive threads.

This also requires that you make judgement calls on what is ok and what is not. If I say "We shuld ban all teapots" it is fully ok to say "denoir you are a moron!".

Treat mods like you treat other members. What you shouldn't do is attack the mod personally for just being a mod. Not only is that rude, but you are also contributing to the segregation. Placebo has for instance been attacked in that way many times, and just for doing his job.

If you have a problem with someone, PM the mod in question.

All the mods are sacrificing a lot of time in the forums, and behind the scenes to make the forums a better place. We work for you as janitors and not bosses.

And lighten up! This is an internet forum, not the UN security council. smile.gif

Those were my 2 cents anyway smile.gif

denoir

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ June 18 2002,12:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I must say that in many ways it sucks being a moderator.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeh, I agree. Moderators suck. biggrin.gif

A friedly mod/member discussion:

mud.gif

But seriously, I think it works both ways...some members could show more respect to the mods, and some mods could show more respect to the members. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ June 18 2002,11:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A friedly mod/member discussion:

mud.gif

But seriously, I think it works both ways...some members could show more respect to the mods, and some mods could show more respect to the members.  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

*cough* *cuntrag* *cough*

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ June 18 2002,11:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A friedly mod/member discussion:

mud.gif<span id='postcolor'>

looks more like a mod-nomination by placebo tounge.gif

Groan. You can always count on nordin and avon to sabotage a perfectly good discussion.

I would close this thread now, but I am hoping some more mature ppl are going to come online soon.

Then people ask: Why do you keep closing threads?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ June 18 2002,13:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would close this thread now, but I am hoping some more mature ppl are going to come online soon.<span id='postcolor'>

You mean you're waiting for Placebo to close it? tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ June 18 2002,12:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This seems to be a hot topic right now, so why

don't we discuss it in a nice friendly manner?

Here are some of my thoughts:

I must say that in many ways it sucks being a moderator. The major part of this... blah-blah-blah-blah. Blah-blah-blah.

...the mod in question.

All the mods are sacrificing a lot of time in the forums, and behind the scenes to make the forums a better place. We work for you as janitors and not bosses.

And lighten up! This is an internet forum, not the UN security council. smile.gif

Those were my 2 cents anyway smile.gif

denoir<span id='postcolor'>

You speak the truth my fellow moderator. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ June 18 2002,12:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif8--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ June 18 2002,13wow.gif8)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would close this thread now, but I am hoping some more mature ppl are going to come online soon.<span id='postcolor'>

You mean you're waiting for Placebo to close it? tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

/me starts crying

What have I ever done to you to deserve such a mean treatement?

Well, just a little bit more serious, asskissers started and will keep kissing your ass after you became an admin, also in this thread, agressors are excluded due to the topic ('friendly discussion'wink.gif and others are not much effected and thus not to much into answering here. Might be simple as that...

Forgot the spammers that can't resist to answer here, but maybe not as serious as you wish they would smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, just a little bit more serious, asskissers started and will keep kissing your ass after you became an admin, also in this thread, agressors are excluded due to the topic ('friendly discussion' and others are not much effected and thus not to much into answering here. Might be simple as that...

Forgot the spammers that can't resist to answer here, but maybe not as serious as you wish they would <span id='postcolor'>

True, very true. Closing smile.gif If somebody feels that they have something importrant to add to the discussion then PM me and I'll repoen the topic.

/me turns over and stares at avon and nordin

Baaaad spammers! Baaaad! wink.gif

Opening so Espectro can have his m0000 smile.gif

Thank you for the opening smile.gif

First I would like to do the most important of my speech.

m000000000000

And now that we all have settled, we should all sit down in a circle, moderator or user, smoke a joint and sing kumbajaa.

Peace man!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ June 18 2002,13:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sounds like a bar-b-que.

Great! Let's look around for something to roast.<span id='postcolor'>

/me slaps theshavenlady

m000000000000

no grilling tounge.gif

Awg, Gerschwarzenge, ya should use a bong to avoid coughing out da precious smoke.

*blblblblblblblblblblblb*puff*

Whoa, far out, man.

How could you be so thoughtless? wink.gif

The man/bovine is trying to m0000 damn it!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ June 18 2002,14:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Awg, Gerschwarzenge, ya should use a bong to avoid coughing out da precious smoke.

Whoa, far out, man.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes but Espectro offered a joint so I had no choice. sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ June 18 2002,13:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ June 18 2002,14:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Awg, Gerschwarzenge, ya should use a bong to avoid coughing out da precious smoke.

Whoa, far out, man.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes but Espectro offered a joint so I had no choice.  sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Now now if expectro jumped of a bridge would you too?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ June 18 2002,12:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ June 18 2002,12:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ June 18 2002,13wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would close this thread now, but I am hoping some more mature ppl are going to come online soon.<span id='postcolor'>

You mean you're waiting for Placebo to close it? <!--emo&tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

/me starts crying

What have I ever done to you to deserve such a mean treatement?<span id='postcolor'>

You were born sly.gif