Sign in to follow this  
timmy

Does ram really help game play

I have 128 mb or pc133 sdram, which is fairly cheap. Im debating wether or not i should buy about 256 more mbs or just save up for a better graphics card, i curenntly have a gf2 mx 400. Will more ram, make the gameplay better, for instance, will it increase the fram rate much?

More RAM, no doubt. OFP was running choppy at best when I had 128MB SDRAM. Have a GeForce 256 Pro card, but am selling this PC now anyway, building a new with GF4 TI 4400 card.

BUT anyway - OFP is not a problem even with a GeForce 256 DDR - which is most likely slower than yours. As soon as I upgraded from 128 to 384MB, OFP became a quite different (as in "enhanced", "better" and so on) experience.

I recommend that you up memory to at least 256MB, then save up for a GF4 later (those cards are getting cheaper now, with news from ATI and Matrox on the horizon, but GF4 will still be around as great gaming cards in at least another year or two).

For now, more RAM would be the best thing to do. Your card is not bad compared to mine, and OFP is more of a CPU demanding game anyway.

thanks for the help, ill be going out and getting some ram soon.

OF is a CPU intensive application, so you will benefit more from upgrading your CPU (and memory too ofcourse) than to upgrade your videocard.

Ram will help like you wouldnt believe. I used to run 128 mb of RDRAM, and OFP ran ok, but took forever to load and other stuff. I now run 640 mb, and everything loads like a dream. Also, you will find that more ram may just solve issues that you are having with your computer. In other words, you can never have too much ram

Well, my brother and I are on almost identical computers, I am on a 800mhz comp w/ a GF2mx400 64mb and 256megs of pc133 ram. my bro is on a 1ghz w/ 128 megs of ram with the same graphics card. At times when I get a low frame rate I look over my shoulder and see he is running the game smoothley.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hidden @ June 18 2002,03:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...am selling this PC now anyway, building a new with GF4 TI 4400 card.<span id='postcolor'>

Nice, I'm building one too in 4-5 weeks. geForce 4 of course, was also thinking of using an AMD processor and a watercooled case (maybe even some overclocking of that AMD). You?

If I'd get short on money, I guess I'd save the watercooled case for later and go with the Pentium 4.

Koolance - Sweet watercooled cases

if you have a 32mb gfx card, you need to replace that first. cos the ram youll have (384) like me right now does a little bit extra, but a middle range 64mb gfx card will be a good investment, especially as you can buy one for the same price as ram from most places (only very few places sell ram for reasonable prices), like 35 pounds for 256mb.

If he has a limited amount of money to spend, I wouldn't use it to buy a graphics card with more RAM, because very few games available today will benefit from it.

Yes, there are synthetic benchmarks like 3DMark that will get better scores on cards with more memory, but that is because they were specifically written to stress the cards by using many large textures, and having 64MB or 128MB of on-board RAM instead of 32MB helps in that case.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the cards with larger amounts of RAM often have slower-rated memory, with slower default clock speeds. For example, Visiontek sells both a 64Mb and 128MB version of the Xtasy GeForce4 Ti 4200â„¢ -- the 64MB model is clocked at 500MHz, while the 128MB model is clocked at 444MHz. The faster-rated speed of the 64MB model will not only yield better performance out-of-the-box, but it also has more overclocking potential.

Anyway, I think adding system RAM is the way to go. Next, I would upgrade the processor.

geforce 2 mx 400 is a 64mb card, so im good on the graphics card for now.