Sign in to follow this  
ProfTournesol

Veni Vidi Vici Mod beta 1.0

Professor, thank you in advance for taking away tens of hours of my life, spending on playing your fantastic mod! I have watched the thread discussing your work in progress for months, and remember somebody was asking about possibility for making formations. ***I've used the script for line battles from the Civil War mod ("line41", etc) and it worked fine! In fact, it made the game look and play like...the initial battle from the movie Gladiator!!! "Close" line formations does make sense: My legionaries march realistically tied, then stay the ground and help each other to kill running into them disorganized barbarians! It worked just like it was in history! I tried to fight with and without formations, and the results were remarkable: The legion in formations lost significantly less men than the one that fought "at will"! So, I have all my legionaries in formations now and light troops and allies - fighting without formation, - to follow and kill running away (and around) enemies. It is amazing, it feels like... it is a real Legion!.. Thank you!!!

Professor, thank you in advance for taking away tens of hours of my life, spending on playing your fantastic mod! I have watched the thread discussing your work in progress for months, and remember somebody was asking about possibility for making formations. ***I've used the script for line battles from the Civil War mod ("line41", etc) and it worked fine! In fact, it made the game look and play like...the initial battle from the movie Gladiator!!! "Close" line formations does make sense: My legionaries march realistically tied, then stay the ground and help each other to kill running into them disorganized barbarians! It worked just like it was in history! I tried to fight with and without formations, and the results were remarkable: The legion in formations lost significantly less men than the one that fought "at will"! So, I have all my legionaries in formations now and light troops and allies - fighting without formation, - to follow and kill running away (and around) enemies. It is amazing, it feels like... it is a real Legion!.. Thank you!!!

Funny thing is that i worked on this civil war script, even if someone else finished it ;)

By the way, could you upload a template with this script somewhere (such as the mission you're playing ?)

My pleasure, Professor! I am at my work now, and do not have access to my files...but I will do when I come home tonight. It is strange...I just tried to locate the files with the line battle script on the Internet...could not find them...

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

I think you could find it on the Spad's page (not sure, since my IPhone cannot load it for some reason)

Professore, I just wanted to acknowledge that indeed, those scripts that I used to tie the legionaries in line formations had been made by you (I found your signature in the following document). I'm working on the Rome Total War scenario right now (its going to be quite epic) and, as soon as it is ready, I will post it somewhere, with your permission :) ***Your antique island is beautiful! I could only dream about "what if" somebody try to stretch the map, like 31st Rip done it for Arma (1 and 2)...and make a western Mediterranean theater with Part of North-East Spain, South of France, Italy, Sicily, ***and, of course, the dreaded coast of Northern Africa - with mighty Carthage! Then we could start working on the super-scenarios like "The First Punic War" or "The War Against Hannibal" :))

By the way, I found a simple way to manipulate the Legion without CoC script (probably it's an old trick that many people used for years...). I made a player controlled unit as a Roman General, with the rest of the "squad" are all the banner bearers. ***Made them all "immortal" (to simulate the fact that when the banner holder was killed, somebody would always grab the flag) by making triggers "not alive (name of the man)"; "(the name) setdamage 0". ***Then I made waypoints for the groups, assigning them to move to their banner bearers and "cycled" it. Now, whenever I move my subordinates, - the groups are moving too :) It looks and feels very realistic: The troops follow the banner bearers of "their cohorts", then stay around the standards and fight "to protect them". Very easy to command the whole Legion, either on the map, or at the field. Also, different reinforcements' groups could be attached to start following the banners under conditions specified by triggers (like taking full control of the area on the map). That creates a sense of fighting "a big war", a "conquest" campaign (and keeps your army in the size enough for fighting, but manageable for the PC). On very rare occasions, one or two of your "immortal" banner keepers could die (it happens when they are killed by many hits at once as I figured out that "bug"). I like it too: You must protect your legion standards even if you know that most of the time you can get away with the bearer been hit. Well, if it happened, you just lost one of your "regiments" (including its reinforcements) ***for the rest of the game: The legionaries will keep staying around the fallen flag, unless the enemy attacks them... I would say, it's yet another historical similarity: The roman unit that had lost its banner was a subject to punishment and dismissal!!! :))***

*** *** The mod as it is now, personally for me, is already the biggest innovative event that has happened to OFP since the Civil War/Napoleonic ***and Liberation 41-45! You can play with it for weeks or months, and, with some creative thinking, make "History come alive" in so many different ways! As somebody already said, I do not have enough words to thank the author!.. Well... (now I feel really greedy) could we make those elephants...attack and kill? :))

Oops posted about the download link not working but it works now, great mod by the way

Y U NO MAKE THIS FOR ARMA 2? :C

Seriously, I never even thought that something like this can be added to ArmA series, would be cool to have bows/arrows, swords, trebuchets, cannons etc...

Link(s) please?

By the way, even though I'm not playing A1 and OFP anymore, great mod.

OFP is better than A2 functionality/setting-wise but outdated with graphics/sounds, so many went to play A2, after getting tired of A1 myself I joined A2 community and so on. Maybe BI makes OFP 2 someday :p

Thanks for the link :)

This mod is great!

I love how the shields have a physical presence, you managed to implement them perfectly. They add a entire new depth to the combat, instead of being a case of who can stab first, it becomes a case of putting yourself in a good position to have your hits connect with the enemy and the enemy's hits to bounce of your shield

Yesterday I downloaded the mod ( You can crucify me :D ) and i m positively surprised. Great mod

Great Work.

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

I hope not only Rome and Greek but Egypt, Persian and Macedonia also :D

Great Work.

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

I hope not only Rome and Greek but Egypt, Persian and Macedonia also :D

Persia is included !

Link please,this one apparently does not work anymore,and I've lost all files on my pc

thanks in advance