Sign in to follow this  
sgt_savage

Unsung Vietnam War Mod Version 2.5 Discussion

good and bad news.

if you shelve the campaign, is it possible for you to release what has already been done with the 2.5? or is it really impossible?

just one thing that I noticed in your previous version:

the choppers were a bit too angular... I don't know if you see what I mean, but compared to the UH-1 from BIS (or the AH-6 and the OH-6), their ones were rounder - like the real ones.

I hope you're not upset about what I say, it's just my feeling.

anyway, I'm still looking forward to your mod!

@Wiki - In regards the campaign, no it will not be released in the condition it is in.

Same with the choppers , to us they seem fine and the author is not with us this time around.He is taking time away from the mod to study.

Sorry :)

@ Diggdydog - We are saving that one for the installer and public release ;)

good, focus on release.

As we all who doing mods out there. We want to release before Arma 3 is out. :)

Yes my logo for the win!!!

So to clarify and so that both party's get credit , the original logo design you see here on the WIP updates was by blackfox34.

There is a slightly modified one made by Diggidy dog which has not been shown.. as yet.... :) thanks guys

Sav

In support of this lovely work - we will release an Evolution MP co-op for every map in the pack. Aiming to co-release with the mod with Sav's permission and support.

awesome news on the rug_dsai! makes for chilling elephant grass firefights

If it is not too much of a hassle, would it be possible to have the backpacks on units as OA-backpacks, or ACE-packs, instead of just being a unit with a backpack modeled on it? We (SSG) have done some extra stuff for UNSUNG, like an invisible ruck that has ACE config, for use on units that have backpacks modeled on them. Also we made our own ACRE radio.

in case it helps

if you look in RACS mod - they made great additional backpacks for their units

If it is not too much of a hassle, would it be possible to have the backpacks on units as OA-backpacks, or ACE-packs, instead of just being a unit with a backpack modeled on it? We (SSG) have done some extra stuff for UNSUNG, like an invisible ruck that has ACE config, for use on units that have backpacks modeled on them. Also we made our own ACRE radio.

I believe this is something they are trying to do for the units, if they have the resources. edit: Remove the "hard" backpacks from the models I mean...

That's exactly what we are trying to get done. However, 3 people have been put on that job and we are still waiting :( . Hopefully someone might finish it soon :p

We will endeavour to make our stuff compatible with ACE and ACRE but our radio's and rucks will be used, Not others from any other mod since ours have been modelled to fit our units.

Yeah we never made a model for it, just a class with function :) then we just added that item to the radio units :) our stuff was made for internal use a year ago (because we really need acre/ACE haha :D ). We don't plan to release it since it is not official UNSUNG stuff.

We are super excited for a new release! If we can help in any way, just let us know.

quick suggestion for the units/backpacks - at the very least add this line to soldier config:

example is from a clientside adjustment we made to the fabulous OMOD units made for A2:

class bink_omon_operator : MVD_Soldier

{

canCarryBackPack = 1;

};

this enables the addition of backpacks to player by using script on backpack heap (our normal system for evolution missions). Without this line in the soldier init, the backpack will not show up in inventory (doesn't matter if they don't show on body so much - as long as you have a few clips and nades when you're out and surrounded!)

can explain more if it helps team understand how to short circuit huge modeling job...

Its all been taken care of Gaz is currently working on the backpacks and correcting some existing issues. So 2.5 will have fully functional and removable rucksacks.

25logo.png

WIP REPORT # 4

Time again for a small update.

We are still working hard on finalising this release, finally we are making headway with it. We are nearing beta stage which will be fast tracked thanks to our Beta team that have been progressively testing everything as we move forward. No release date is scheduled since Murphy's law still applies.

Here are some screenshots of a new island in the works Cao Bang , which was made by Super 6.1

This island centres around a Mekong delta theme with lots of water ways with dense foliage along its banks, a VC's paradise.

It also has open grassy plains and bombed out hill areas reminiscent of some of your favourite Nam flicks.

While this map is not entirely complete and has a few small issues it is still a worthwhile addition to the unsung mod. We will endeavour to correct these small issues later down the track after the 2.5 release . It does also require MGB Nam but, we felt that this is not really an issue since most nam'ers already use a mixture of Unsung and MGB nam anyway...

This map I have to say really captures the Nam theme. Again a big thanks to Super 6.1 for donating it to the Unsung team.

Also you might notice the new M151 jeep and a PBR by YAC ... What's a good river map without the brown water navy anyway? Hopefully we will have time to also make some sampans too, but will have to wait n see.

That's all for now. Time for the screenshots:

unsung9.th.jpg

unsung8.th.jpg

unsung7.th.jpg

unsung6.th.jpg

unsung5.th.jpg

unsung4.th.jpg

unsung3.th.jpg

unsung2.th.jpg

unsung1.th.jpg

good work! Keep it up!

Im so looking forward to fly Huey and bom bom long time with airsupport, supply, transport or just flying circus.

I love that...amazing Work guys!!! the last screenshot is my favorite.. so much immersive!

Very excited for the new release!

Looks very impressive, really captures the area and era..

Great work..

Loving it, really looking forward to this one... Maybe soon it will be time for me to go back in time and explore some of my LRRP ideas!

Not sure if this is an OK place to post this video. SSG Clan (Swedish strategic group) did an UNSUNG special sunday OP. 45 players vs AI on Ia Drang. I thought it would be nice to share :) The mission was simple.

Alpha and Bravo are stationed on the north side of the island. Bravo is out in the woods just south west of LZ Albany. Their mission is to clear the VC Camp somewhere to the east of their current position. Meanwhile Alpha will be flown in to LZ Albany, secure the LZ then move out west and check an old VC camp to make sure it is still cleared. After that check is done, Alpha will move back to the LZ and meet up with bravo who should be on their way. Once Alpha and Bravo are at the LZ the groups will to a quick RTB to re-arm and take care of the wounded. Then they will return to LZ Albany and to a sweep south east.

We had a great time and will do another OP next sunday.

Mission maker was me. Lots of special made scripts and graphics and also music for this mission. Not sure what is shown of it in the video though.

It's a 2 hour video from an FTL in Alpha Squad. So I'll highlight some of the moments.

00:00 LZ Albany with contact.

10:00 Securing the LZ. Reinforcements arrive. Sproradic contact..

37:00 Alpha + a part of Bravo (that died and respawned), move west towards the target area.

42:00 Contact!

50:00 The bravo fireteam and och Alpha four moves up to the gun line (finally!)

52:00 Rigge sucks (a player)

01:04:00 Tactial retreat with contact.

01:15:00 Back to LZ, with contact.

01:24:00 Boarding the helicopters... or?

01:29:00 Moving out towards the second objectiv. Formation with bravo squad

01:40:00 Contact! Two steps forward, one step back.

Heyo.

Been a big fan of all the Vietnam-themed addons out there (namely VTE, UNS and Mbg_Nam map) and i'm really looking forward to this version. I do have a couple of questions, however.

a) Any chance of the D-7 Bulldozer which was in ArmA I to be released with UNS in ArmA 2?

b) Any chance of an actually working China Lake grenade launcher, which would shoot 4 grenades (one in the chamber, 3 under the barrel?) in fast sequence & then reload, rather than having to reload every time, every shot?

c) Any Chance for the Shotguns to be ported to actually use the PMC Shotgun ballistics, namely buckshot & spread? The current models seem to do nothing but shoot one straight round, just like a normal rifle, or a shotgun with SLUG ammo, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a spreading, short-distance effective wepon with huge stopping power, to engage enemies on close quartes, e.g. when they engage you in your own trench.

Those would be my most favourable parts i'd like to see in the 2.5 version, other than this, all i cna say is that your new Map, especially the film-like bombed landscape looks stunningly fantastic, and i'm looking forward to some long river patrols along this new map (sadly, the rivers in your old maps, apart from CSJ_SEA are all so shallow that even a paperboat can hardly float), would be even better with Sampans, not only pbr's, and maybe some other brown water navy thingys aswell (inflatable boats, LSSC's, landing crafts? -could be another idea, book tis as d) :D )

Good luck in development, would be happy to see an answer.

Regards, Elena.