Sign in to follow this  
Dajunka

Behaviour of enemy carrier.

It's a long time ago but I seem to remember that you could not get a shot at the enemy carrier until very late in the game.

If you happen to come across the enemy carrier it would immediately run away.

With Carrier command GM, I can find and sink the enemy carrier at my leisure, which I find a little dull. Do you think this will change before release of the game?

Fair enough call but there are only a few islands in the beta. Once you're playing on a board with 60 it'll feel different - you probably won't even have enough fuel to find the enemy carrier ;)

Fair enough call but there are only a few islands in the beta. Once you're playing on a board with 60 it'll feel different - you probably won't even have enough fuel to find the enemy carrier ;)

True. :)

I believe there are to be 30+ islands in the final release. But what if? What if you do meet the enemy carrier, will it be game over or will the enemy prolong the game by evading?

That's hard to say. But I am more than confident in BI's ability to create a challenging and exciting fight if you happen to run across the enemy carrier in the final game. I guess balancing the AI is something they do when the rest of the game is more or less finished.

I just bumped into him...

I tried launching the Mantas but when I was clicking on the EC in the map, it kept bringing up the nearest island details rather than targeting him....

So I just headed in with my carrier and we started exchanging fire...

He blasted my Mantas off the flight deck before they even had a chance to react...

So I used the main cannon to put some holes in him...

We past broadside and I swung straight round, and I thought "great", my cannons are on the front, and all he has is machine guns that may be able to reach me....

But he had started swinging round too so I blasted along his hull with plasma..........

and then the game crashed! :-(

I'm finding the game extremely difficult....I've taken the unoccupied island, but then whichever island I try to select my officer says we are not strong enough to attack them yet....so I try for the weakest I can find, but my Mantas get blown out of the sky, and my Walrus' fumble about till they get destoryed!

Are we supposed to manual everything in on the attack or something??? I remember the fighting AI much better on the Atari ST original.....might be time to dig out my ST emulator....I think I have the disk image for Carrier Command somewhere!! ;-)

Edited by darkcyde

Yes the AI is pretty darn stupid and try's it's up-most to get itself killed. You will have to do most of the work manually.

A large part of the problem is there is rocks and trees on the islands now, which the Walruses cant figure out how to path around and so get stuck. That I find is the big problem. I would imagine if the trees were just eye candy that the walruses could pass through rather than invincible sticks of Whateverium I think the AI would be having an easier time navigating. It does ok on empty beaches and what not.

It also affects the AI as I've been finding huge piles of tanks around the generators all the time as the enemies simply cant go anywhereWhich makes attacking easier than it should.

Also, I think there are a few bugs still remaining with the AI. If you have had command of a walrus or manta and then later in the game start to order them about, you usually always get one that doesn't do as it's told. This doesn't help. ;)

If the Walrus's could plow over trees like Suranis said, I think that'll make a huge difference. I've seen my Walrus's blather about trying to scale a pebble whilst a single enemy unit behind was kicking the carp out of it....and it didn't even stop and wonder was was wrong! ;-)

And the enemy carrier.....sneak up through the fog till you can just about see him, and blast him to pieces with the plasma cannon and he doesn't blink!

If the Walrus's could plow over trees [...]

Then they would still have trouble with the rocks. The pathfinding is not the best whether there are trees or not. But most the time the vehicles get to their destination after a while. And I don't mind to help them now and then. After all there are just eight in total and usually just a fraction of those enroute at the same time.

Giveing them a small nudge is one thing, but with the BETA AI as it is now, there may as well be no AI for the player.

Not only are there pathing issues, but sometimes even the mantas and walrus fail to open fire when they are pointed right at the target with a clear line of fire...............

Yeah, and last night my repair walrus inexplicably stopped repairing. After I reloaded the map, and docked and relaunched them, it decided to get back to doing its job. Oddly enough, in the same save before that it was working fine. So it is inconsistent.

But I think we can agree that the physics and stuff is good so they can focus on tweaking the AI to get things good. I am convinced however that certain areas you are MEANT to physical drive past to get around, like last night when I snuck a walrus around some rocks to the back of a base to take out its AA guns. The AI could never get past the rocks but there was a pass there that had to be deliberately placed so that the player could get there but the AI could not.

After I reloaded the map, and docked and relaunched them, it decided to get back to doing its job.

Sounds to me like the "repair ammo" was depleted.

Unless the save game changed the amount of ammo in the unit, it should have been full up. I had just launched them prior to saving.