thomsonb

[SP] Flashpoint: - Instant Action - Dynamic Missions - Release Thread

Thanks for the info Pd3

BTW, pretty sure you can skip the first 4 steps by simply renaming the mission folder.

ie change xxxxx..utes to xxxxxx.mcn_neaville

Then open the mission (via that terrain/island) in the editor

I do the same as [APS]Gnat. Note it isn't simply a matter of dragging the unit onto the map. You also have to:

- ensure all the island entries inside the various scripts (don't rename any sqf file unless you like to make work for yourself) match the new island. Use Agent Ransack to search the mission folder for the 'old' island string (e.g., fdf_Isle1_a), open each identified file with notepad (or, much better, notepad ++ with ceeeb's sqf plugin) and replace it with that of your choice.

- you should also edit the mission key in the description.ext:

doneKeys[] = {"thomsonb_flashpoint_podagorsk"};

- edit the markers for towns and cars: reposition after removing excess entries, starting with the highest-numbered (else I think the parkedCarsInit.sqf will terminate when it reaches a 'missing' entry). Note the markers cannot be other than circular as that script uses the radius in calculating spawn positions.

If you want to change player unit types, AI units &/or weapon types you need to edit the ...Factions.sqf file. Follow the format carefully. I take out flashlight-equipped rifles like the M17 CCO as these are bugged (if the unit enters combat mode, you cannot order the flashlights off) and it is absurd for NVG-equipped units to run around in the open with flashlights on. Wish I could work out how to ensure vehicles like Humvees keep their lights off by default...

Edited by Orcinus

I do the same as [APS]Gnat. Note it isn't simply a matter of dragging the unit onto the map. You also have to:

- ensure all the island entries inside the various scripts (don't rename any sqf file unless you like to make work for yourself) match the new island. Use Agent Ransack to search the mission folder for the 'old' island string (e.g., fdf_Isle1_a), open each identified file with notepad (or, much better, notepad ++ with ceeeb's sqf plugin) and replace it with that of your choice.

- you should also edit the mission key in the description.ext:

doneKeys[] = {"thomsonb_flashpoint_podagorsk"};

These are good suggestions, mine is basically the "quick and dirty" way of getting it up and running and fighting bad guys, its worked for me, however I haven't used any version of flashpoint outside 119.

- edit the markers for towns and cars: reposition after removing excess entries, starting with the highest-numbered (else I think the parkedCarsInit.sqf will terminate when it reaches a 'missing' entry). Note the markers cannot be other than circular as that script uses the radius in calculating spawn positions.

This must be a new feature of flashpoint, I think I need to check this out.

If you want to change player unit types, AI units &/or weapon types you need to edit the ...Factions.sqf file. Follow the format carefully. I take out flashlight-equipped rifles like the M17 CCO as these are bugged (if the unit enters combat mode, you cannot order the flashlights off) and it is absurd for NVG-equipped units to run around in the open with flashlights on. Wish I could work out how to ensure vehicles like Humvees keep their lights off by default...

Yeah, doing the factions.sqf modification is another beast entirely, and its most likely the place you're going to screw up and render your mission unplayable.

I think that probably might benefit from a mini tutorial in of itself.

Well what a suprise thanks the Lingor map!!! Downloading right now....

Keep up the good work mate!!!

:yay:

well, there are enough missions, with 2 versions each, addon free and with addons. Altought it's not a must, if hes willing to do this, why not?

Greetings all

I am pleased to announce the release of

Flashpoint Takistan Multiplayer Coop!

Get it from here: Flashpoint Download Page

Armaholic mirror:

- Flashpoint Takistan MP Co-x (@)

This has been in the works for a *long* time now. Thank you to everyone who has asked me about it and given ideas, feedback and their time for testing the Alpha versions on my server.

It is not yet feature complete, and has a few minor bugs. However I decided to get it out to you guys as soon as I was happy with the basics. Hope you enjoy some coop battles with your mates!

Because of the differences in the way MP missions run, the mission has a slightly different feel to the Single Player version. However I really like the result so far. There are also a couple of new unique features like adding AI Fireteams to your group.

As usual, your feedback is appreciated to help me improve it :)

Cheers

B

P.S. I will make a dedicated forum thread for this later, when I release an update.

Edited by thomsonb

I've checked Flashpoint SP for the first time yesterday and it was really interesting, how surprised was I today with this first MP release.

First of all I want to thank the developer for all his hardwork, this is really something, I can only imagine as a developer myself the amount of work it took to get right.

Now to the questions, since the MP release works a bit differently (or it looks like it does, in terms of deciding the setup parameters), will this be a "better" version of the old SP? Or is it just a remake to work with coop? What I'm asking is if I want to play mostly alone (and with friends from time to time) should I download/play the old version or the new MP one?

Again thanks and keep up the good work :)

I've checked Flashpoint SP for the first time yesterday and it was really interesting, how surprised was I today with this first MP release.

First of all I want to thank the developer for all his hardwork, this is really something, I can only imagine as a developer myself the amount of work it took to get right.

Now to the questions, since the MP release works a bit differently (or it looks like it does, in terms of deciding the setup parameters), will this be a "better" version of the old SP? Or is it just a remake to work with coop? What I'm asking is if I want to play mostly alone (and with friends from time to time) should I download/play the old version or the new MP one?

Again thanks and keep up the good work :)

Hi skkeeper,

That is an interesting question;

- Right now the MP version is missing a few features from SP. However I will be developing it more, so expect it to improve!

- The SP version is not a "dead mod".. but as it is much more developed already, I will be focusing my time on the new MP version.

- I have played the MP version a lot on my own recently, while testing it, and I have really enjoyed playing the MP version alone. To try and answer your question... it depends which version you enjoy more for SP, I guess I would recommend to try both, and play either depending on what kind of game you want :)

- Just to clarify for players: The MP version CAN be played alone with 1 player no problem, and while it is different from the SP version, it is just as awesome to play ;)

Thanks for your interest, let me know how you like to play both versions, getting lots of players opinions helps me have ideas and choose the direction for the project

cheers

B

Edited by thomsonb

Mister Thomsonb, it is most excellent to see this come out! Was hoping you were still working on an MP version!

Now just have to convince my friends to dust off the game and join me.

Thanks so much for your work!

Hi mate

I don't play MP but I'll check it out in SP.

BTW I planning a personal port to i44 - if you want to consider adding that to the list of public versions, happy to send you a review/test copy when I'm happy with it.

A big addon to be sure, but if you haven't tried the latest versions you're really missing out.

Cheers

Orc

Just a quick question. The armaholic posting states that it requires ACR. Is this the case? I'm still at work (yes on a sunday), so can't fire it up just yet to find out.

Greetings all

I am pleased to announce the release of

Flashpoint Takistan Multiplayer Coop!

Get it from here: Flashpoint Download Page

Armaholic mirror:

- Flashpoint Takistan MP Co-x (@)

This has been in the works for a *long* time now. Thank you to everyone who has asked me about it and given ideas, feedback and their time for testing the Alpha versions on my server.

It is not yet feature complete, and has a few minor bugs. However I decided to get it out to you guys as soon as I was happy with the basics. Hope you enjoy some coop battles with your mates!

Because of the differences in the way MP missions run, the mission has a slightly different feel to the Single Player version. However I really like the result so far. There are also a couple of new unique features like adding AI Fireteams to your group.

As usual, your feedback is appreciated to help me improve it :)

Cheers

B

P.S. I will make a dedicated forum thread for this later, when I release an update.

No way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBLDUAGsE64

I can't wait!

---------- Post added at 01:32 ---------- Previous post was at 00:35 ----------

Well, I decided to do a brief trial run and I must say that I'm quite impressed.

You've managed to translate the combat ambience of the SP version perfectly into the MP release.

For an initial release, this is rock solid, there's not a single problem I can find with it, and we all know how fastidious I can be about things.

You even included an option to scale the MAX_SKILL variable, I love you man!

I do have a few questions and a few "wishlist" ideas that I think would really improve the overall experience.

Is it or would it be possible to use the MP version as a framework to create objectives?

I think on top of the sandbox element, I would say that the MP version could have potential as the ultimate battle ambience module.

I'm thinking, create any old mission within the confines of the Flashpoint MP framework, and the random, dynamic elements of Flashpoint will make approaching and accomplishing that objective a different experience every time.

I'm just wondering if somehow doing that might interfere with the scripts used to track and spawn squads.

Other minor tweaks I would look for are:

- Revive respawn

- Tweaking unit ratios: "car, armored, personnel, air, etc".

- Zones in which spawn radius is amended for a certain effect (towns, etc)

Overall, I see great gameplay potential for Flashpoint multiplayer, consider your efforts greatly appreciated.

..states that (Flashpoint Takistan MP v01) requires ACR. Is this the case? ..

Hi WeaponsFree

Yes it does require "Army of the Czech Republic". If you don't have the ACR DLC you can get ACR Lite free patch from here

Arma2.com ACR Patch Download page approx 100mb file

(this link is also on my download page)

ACR added some great new weapons and vehicles to the Czech side.

I bought the it simply to support BIS :)

The Lite version has all the same units but lower res textures and sounds I believe.

cheers B

Edited by thomsonb

Is it or would it be possible to use the MP version as a framework to create objectives?

- Revive respawn

- Tweaking unit ratios: "car, armored, personnel, air, etc".

- Zones in which spawn radius is amended for a certain effect (towns, etc)

Hi Pd3

I will add setup parameters for the amount of Vehicles, Armour, Helicopters, Aircraft and Sniper teams in the next update (I just ran out of time tbh).

I have tried several Revive respawn / medical type modules. None of these worked really well. So i left it out for the initial release.

In testing I have actually enjoyed not having respawn a lot more, it make the mission much more authentic, and immersive.

However, I will keep looking for a suitable revive system that fits the mission.

Reducing the spawn radius in towns etc is an interesting idea, I will consider it. The AI groups are already programmed to move to towns and patrol. This makes towns dangerous already (especially after the mission has been running for a while).

Making a MP framework is a great idea. I hope to achieve this in the future. Big job though :)

In theory adding your own mission objective to flashpoint would work, it would not break the spawning or anything.... try it out!

My next feature will be objectives and side objectives. Which you can choose to accept or decline. These will be randomly generated but realistic hopefully!

B

Hi mate

BTW I planning a personal port to i44 - if you want to consider adding that to the list of public versions, happy to send you a review/test copy when I'm happy with it.

Hi Orc

Please do send me a copy of your I44 port that would be great!

I love the I44 mod, I simply haven't had the time to play it, and get all the units, loadouts and vehicles defined and make it happen!

cheers

B

Hi Orc

Please do send me a copy of your I44 port that would be great!

I love the I44 mod, I simply haven't had the time to play it, and get all the units, loadouts and vehicles defined and make it happen!

cheers

B

Sure, will do. Just downloaded the latest update (2.65) - as with HAC, I'm way behind 'cos of the authors' frenetic development pace.

Cheers

Orc

thomsonb,

It was a big surprise to read that you have made a MP version of your mission. It's been a long time sinde I played Flashpoint and now I can try it with friends. Great!

Some questions/ideas about the MP version:

- Can players only choose from the stock factions or is it possible to add community made islands, troops and equipment which may be on the server?

- I wonder if you could allow PvP by adding a second team for human players. I can think about two different ways of playing Flashpoint in a PvP environment:

1) Two squads of human players use the factions which are fighting the war. In this case it may be challenging to identify the opposing human team.

2) The human players choose factions which are allied to the AI fighting the war. For example: If USMC is the AI faction the players want to be allied with, they could choose BAF because both are BluFor. Then players could concentrate on fighting against each other in a very hostile environment. Could be interesting gameplay.

In my opinion, a mission which can be played alone, as COOP and also as PvP is very good for spontaneous play on a clan server. Imagine: The first human player on the server starts to play with recruited AI and when his friends arrive they can either join him to play COOP or form two teams and play PvP.

Originally Posted by thomsonb

Yes it does require "Army of the Czech Republic".

Hey thomsonb

No problem for me, I am thinking I'll purchase it myself (only DLC I don't yet have) to support BIS, but many of my friends are far from solid fans, and got on the bandwagon with Dayz or after some considerable insistence on my part. So the additional 100mb download can be an added cause for "bah never mind" when trying to entice some buddies to join a Flashpoint mission.

I know it's ridiculous to ask that you put time and effort into making a Combined Ops only version for the sake of some lazy friends of mine, but wanted to mention it would help spread the mission around in my group.

Otherwise thanks again for the great mission!

The only thing I find peculiar about the multiplayer version is that it seems you can "summon" ai squadmates out of thin air?

I'm assuming this is because of difficulties associated with transferring ai in multiplayer?

I don't really know how I feel about it, I kind of liked the idea of being forced to go it alone until you happen upon a squad which you could join.

That Flashpoint Takistan MP mission is absolutely awesome. I'm about to send you a PM with some ideas to you. It'd also be cool, when you get the time, to see other maps get the MP treatment. Chernarus comes to mind, as I think the rolling hills and forests and the larger towns would make for epic amounts of fun.

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

Well, I was GOING to PM you some ideas, but this forum has a two-post minimum before allowing PMs. Basically, the PM is going to have a whooooooooooooole bunch of ideas from me, and is going to ask for your permission to do some modifications to the file for private use (as well as asking if you'd like copies of the modified files in case you want to integrate any ideas I have back into your own work).

Sorry to the mods if this double-post is an abuse of the rules in any way.

EDIT:

Thanks, BIS. You've made potential collaboration difficult. D:<