thomsonb

[SP] Flashpoint: - Instant Action - Dynamic Missions - Release Thread

Thanks Thomsonb, I'm lovin this! I've just got to work out why my frame rate goes right down to 12 after a minute or so. So many units I guess.

I too would love to see an Iron Front version!

Love these missions when I just want some plain SP Arma2 action, and don't want to bother with other missions' boring cutscenes and transport times. I play it with lots of mods, including ACE, and ASR AI. The AI mod really makes it hardcore, the AI fires from very long ranges, great firefights.

Edited by Zorg_DK

Thanks a lot for your work, thomsonb! Were can I find any tutorial to learn how to add new factions (islands)? I would love to see Operation Frenchpoint added, aside from Isla Duala and Lingor islands support.

I like the simplicity of the mission, but maybe some repair trucks here and there, and maybe enemy outpost at the objective?

I really love these maps, but I have a few requests/suggestions.

1) Allow the ability to have US Army and other Arrowhead stuff in Chernarus (and regular ArmA 2 guys in Takistan)

2) Allow options to re enable artillery (with options for it such as how many artillery shells and stuff like that), but leave it off by default for those who dislike it

3) Allow Russia to be on allies in Chernarus, and NAPA as enemies (but still keep the option to have them enemy and allied respectively)

4) Perhaps in the future allow the player to choose their load out, but keep the list of units to spawn as as well (I.E. One might want to spawn as a CDF soldier with M16A2, so they choose a CDF soldier and then use load out option to gain an M16A2)

5) The ability to load custom factions if you have the files for it (Such as Bundeswehr)

6) A Cold War Rearmed 2 version? :D I'd love that

and finally

7) Paratroopers? It would be cool to see a few paratroopers every now and then, perhaps the ability to choose to spawn parachuting in

Thanks for your time and your awesome maps.

Edited by Pachira

Good fun, been playing these missions since 2 days. Played one of the first versions long time ago but quickly lost interest, but these new versions got me now. :)

Couple of suggestions:

* Maybe add more tasks than just 'reach this point'. Maybe destroying a vehicle, or kill some VIP.

* Allow player to adjust the max. skill level.

* On small terrains like Shapur, in 'everything random' too much planes are spawned, and as a result crashing into each other

* Mission ported to CWR² :)

I'm having lots of fun playing Aliabad as Takistani, but there seems to be a more of US special forces with silencers and other fancy stuff than the regular army, they don't quite fit in the battlefield type of game.

And you have my vote for CWR².

Great stuff.

I play mostly Flashpoint: Takistan, have to try others.

* Mission ported to CWR² :)

+1

- - - - -

EDIT: CAA1 download from Armaholic is very slow for me, do you guys have an alternate download link, a torrent perhaps?

Edited by Kernriver

* Allow player to adjust the max. skill level.

Use Jedra's ESS &/or asr_ai. Both work fine with Flashpoint x.

Even better, use them with the latest beta & -Coulum- & tpw's supression script. Firefights have never come close to this before.

Playing your nice mission lately with TPWC and latest ASR_AI, it is even better with the better AI and working AI supression. I have one suggestion though - I would like to see the player be a part of a group in at least some scenarios right from the mission start. The starting as a loner is a bit strange unless you play sniper scenario.

Hi

Its not "dead" as you asked JetlinerX, I have been busy with other things!

Thanks for everyones questions and comments, I do read all, and many ideas go on my list for future development, I often don't have time to answer every post sorry...

I have been working on the following new features for the next version:

- New Infantry squad behaviour:

Infantry groups tend to move toward Towns and Villages and other Key terrain. When they arrive they patrol the area.

When moving toward the chosen destination the groups follow the terrain, preferring to move in valleys and avoiding exposed routes.

- Booby trap IEDs placed randomly in compound doorways. Triggered by BLUFOR soldiers. Can be spotted if player is careful. Small-ish explosion.

- Taliban Weapons Caches. Guns, ammo, sometimes items like map, binos, nvgs and gps, and sometimes IEDs. Placed at predefined points, mainly in the walled compounds on Takistan (over 200 locations defined on Takistan). Randomly selected points chosen each game.

- Performance Tweaks, some people had framerate problems, I am working on an automatic "Low CPU" mode that detects the users CPU benchmark and reduces unit count a bit.

Hope I can release this soon, probably Takistan version first, very soon, then other maps, as it is a long job defining all Towns and weapon cache locations for each map.

Cheers

B

Sounds very interesting. I am looking forward to testing it in due course.

Hi

- Taliban Weapons Caches. Guns, ammo, sometimes items like map, binos, nvgs and gps, and sometimes IEDs. Placed at predefined points, mainly in the walled compounds on Takistan (over 200 locations defined on Takistan). Randomly selected points chosen each game.

B

You could add to this maybe some support vehicles (ammo, fuel, repair).

Dare I ask about multiplayer? Working on that at all thomson? I would seriously kill for it. I would even be willing to donate money to the development of Flashpoint Cherno if I knew multiplayer was going to be added... So what do you say? :3

Dare I ask about multiplayer?

JetlinerX, thats a bit spooky because I was just working on the basics of an MP version today. I cant promise anything really soon, as I am not familiar with MP mission making, and such a dynamic mission runs into some problems... I plan to release a very basic test version first, on Chernarus where you play as a Force Recon team...

B

Hey as a request, can you make it so that transport helicopters can land and drop in infantry? It seems a bit artifical sometimes to see these transport helicopters just circling the map. Perhaps after they land, they can provide covering fire and what not, but it would make them more interesting.

JetlinerX, thats a bit spooky because I was just working on the basics of an MP version today. I cant promise anything really soon, as I am not familiar with MP mission making, and such a dynamic mission runs into some problems... I plan to release a very basic test version first, on Chernarus where you play as a Force Recon team...

B

Did you know I love you?

Hi thomsonb

The new features sound excellent :)

One request - I sometimes don't grab a whole team but wander around healing (with a reduced COSLX if I'm not playing as an SF medic) & recruiting 'abandoned', immobilised single units. The problem is that often they keep running off in diverse directions & getting shot (or getting me shot as I end up having to keep giving "regroup" orders). I think they retain waypoints from their original, now extinct, team; presumably they default to being leader units. Some way of deleting all waypoints if the player recruits units would be helpful. I rarely stick to the allocated waypoints even if I recruit a whole team, I tend to head off to where there is the most action.

Thanks again for all your hard work on these great missions.

Cheers

Orcinus

...The problem is that often they keep running off in diverse directions & getting shot (or getting me shot as I end up having to keep giving "regroup" orders). I think they retain waypoints from their original, now extinct, team;...

Hi Orcinus

You are right, when you recruit units using my "Manage Team" dialog, You join the group of the units you are joining, and you "inherit" the waypoints structure of that team.

I realise that most players will choose to be the leader, not follow the waypoints. However the reason I have coded it this way is to handle the case where the player decides to be in the group but not the leader.

I have also noticed that some units respond slowly and refuse to return to formation after you become the leader of the group. The are not following the waypoints though, they are given a return to formation order automatically after you become the leader. There must be a way to order them straight back to the player, maybe i need to send them a disengage command or a doMove to the leader?

Hope this explains why I have coded it this way, its a compromise to cover all possible actions of the player!

If you find a good way of ordering the units back to you, that always works, please let me know, and i will script those commands automatically!

For info, I am almost ready to release an experimental MP Coop. version of Flashpoint: Chernarus, its a very basic alpha version at this stage, but working!

*EDIT* I have just found a quick scripting way to improve this, and added it to the latest release, thanks for bringing it up Orcinus!

cheers

B

Edited by thomsonb