Sign in to follow this  
almanzo

Congratulations Bohemia Interactive

As with DayZ, it can be scripted into missions (that need it) even now. Simulating a soldier with really fast metabolism and a broken immune system (AIDS?) on the engine level is going to limit the kinds of missions that can be made without applying workarounds.

I see what you did there... I won't even post the smiley, refer to your own signature.

in41RSxgPyPoy.png

Exactly. I also believe that DayZ players currently out number the "normal" ArmA playerbase. If they released DayZ as a DLC, it would be a mess with the military simulator players asking for this and that, and the zombie players asking for different things.

They'd definitely be best as separate games.

disagree strongly. just look at all the much looked forward features that were introduced in beta patches for what is clearly a dayz influence.

thats frigging great if you ask me.

Unless of course the changes in one games core engine can carry over to the other. but as we've seen with TKOH, one engine interation always seems to takes 2nd fiddle and not get updated as much as the other. but it evens out over time i hope.

As with DayZ, it can be scripted into missions (that need it) even now. Simulating a soldier with really fast metabolism and a broken immune system (AIDS?) on the engine level is going to limit the kinds of missions that can be made without applying workarounds.

Yes true for quick missions but hardcore SF missions might really benefit from these DayZ elements: never mind about AIDS or fast metabolism, you won't get far on a Mediterranean island in mid-summer without regularly drinking water, it would be another way to put a ticking clock on the mission and force improvisation if water supplies run out.

As I said, it can be scripted into missions that would actually benefit from such a mechanic.

All others would need to drink and piss too... or should BIS restrict it so that only hardcore SF players are able to do such "SF aspects"? ;)

All others would need to drink and piss too... or should BIS restrict it so that only hardcore SF players are able to do such "SF aspects"? ;)

As Celery (repeatedly) says, it could be left up to the mission maker to add via scripting, but personally I'd rather see it added at engine level as an optional difficulty setting (makes it much easier to implement in missions)....

but personally I'd rather see it added at engine level as an optional difficulty setting
Would only make sense if all incl AI will be affected by these features too. Imo its too much pain for a little gain for SP campaign - focus should stay on how the player solves different situations, which decissions he makes and how he makes his way through the story. Some gimmicks and minigames can be nice but it can also turn into annoying stuff that is just implemented to (over)stretch time and nerves. Perhaps we will see such stuff as a module/script template in A3?

Isn't that amazing? I'm pretty sure many game developers are scratching their heads right now thinking how in the hell this is possible? Is not like Dayz has revolutionized the Zombie/horror genre.... has it?.

Im gonna go out on a limb and theorize that the reason people are so attracted to DayZ, is yes the survivalist and the open world type gameplay- but i think more importantly people are so sick of the "Over-Balancing" that plague games of today!

Modern Developers are so concerned, rather obsessed, with balancing the gameplay (making it fair) that they've forgotten that we play games for a challenge- not to be hand held through everything with sugar on top. In my opinion it totally waters down a game. Life is not fair, why should games be?

I think the no-rules, anything goes, gameplay is a real refreshing change that the mainstream players have secretly been yearning for. (I say secretly because you still see the same people begging for balance and fairness that you see in over balanced games such as COD and BF3, and any mainstream game to come out since BF2)

Thats what makes DayZ so popular imho. And I hope the Devs realize that.

Regular infantrymen can drink and piss... Harcore SF will be required to drink their own piss in the new mechanics as a Rite of Passage.

Celery's initial comment on "Fast metabolism & AIDS" had left me in stitches, as I fell off the chair laughing. :cc:

military-sucks.jpg

:D

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Duck and take cover....new big wave of players incomming just for DayZ :p

Rooster Teeth, member of the One Billion Views Club on Youtube, did upload their first DayZ introduction video.....

Nice video BTW. It's funny to see newcomers to the series saying "Ohh... this is HUGE/beautiful/real/anythingthatweknowforthepast10years".

Now its time to take DayZ's draft and try to hook some of these people to ARMA cause what they saw so far was just a small portion of the whole.

Duck and take cover....new big wave of players incomming just for DayZ :p

Rooster Teeth, member of the One Billion Views Club on Youtube, did upload their first DayZ introduction video.....

Posted 3 hours ago, 3,778 likes, 13 dislikes on YT.

He presented it as a free MMORPG. GG

P.S. Operation Flashpoint - wut iz dat??

P.S. Operation Flashpoint - wut iz dat??

It's always nice to see famous YT'ers and big gaming news sites doing the homework research on facts when making overview of DayZ.

Pretty sure I heard someone on Machinima saying something like "ArmA series is best known for DayZ mod".

nice over view by those guys

*facepalms self* Oh those guys don't even have the slightest clue of what Operation Flashpoint 1 or ARMA 1 was >_< . Looks like they need to do some more research.

*facepalms self* Oh those guys don't even have the slightest clue of what Operation Flashpoint 1 or ARMA 1 was >_< . Looks like they need to do some more research.

Rooster Teeth are not known to be PC folks. What with their main game series being Halo.

It's always nice to see famous YT'ers and big gaming news sites doing the homework research on facts when making overview of DayZ.

Pretty sure I heard someone on Machinima saying something like "ArmA series is best known for DayZ mod".

At this point, they're partly correct as DayZ has introduced ArmA to a great many people...

Rocket has single handily put Arma 2 on the map. When you have a game that makes players sing while they drive along the roads of Chernarus then you've got something special in the making.

Players sing and have fun since the release of OFP (now CWA) in 2001..... DayZ is just a inside job that was luckily Alpha-released in the right time were Zombies are somewhat popular. Just imagine no one would care anymore about killing the xxxxxxxxth Zombie horde/spawnblob or played enough survivor games. DayZ is just simple shoot & loot concept, something like public skirmish without any thought on making it more challenging* or giving players an objective/long-term goal. DayZ can be fun for a certain time and its imo most liked/played by casual players. (*other than feature vs feature enhancements)

That's because they're derp ADHD, who won't be staying in ArmAverse for long, unless DayZ comes out of Alphahhh and turns into a full-fledged semi-MMORPG with persistent stats.

/end

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

Players sing and have fun since the release of OFP (now CWA) in 2001..... DayZ is just a inside job that was luckily Alpha-released in the right time were Zombies are somewhat popular. Just imagine no one would care anymore about killing the xxxxxxxxth Zombie horde/spawnblob or played enough survivor games. DayZ is just simple shoot & loot concept, something like public skirmish without any thought on making it more challenging* or giving players an objective/long-term goal. DayZ can be fun for a certain time and its imo most liked/played by casual players. (*other than feature vs feature enhancements)

Nope, m8 - persistent stats is what this success is all about: you have server duping, locked servers for loot hoarding, gear duping, gear spawning via hacks, disconnects on first contact to save stats/gear, server hoping for gear. Stats, baby, stats.

Incidentally, they would still play this game if it was ten times more complex, but with stats, man, stats.

That's because they're derp ADHD, who won't be staying in ArmAverse for long, unless DayZ comes out of Alphahhh and turns into a full-fledged semi-MMORPG with persistent stats.

/end

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

Nope, m8 - persistent stats is what this success is all about: you have server duping, locked servers for loot hoarding, gear duping, gear spawning via hacks, disconnects on first contact to save stats/gear, server hoping for gear. Stats, baby, stats.

Incidentally, they would still play this game if it was ten times more complex, but with stats, man, stats.

What stats? there are no stats as far as I can see, not yet anyway. Stats to me mean some kind of leader board or ranking system, which so far DayZ does not have.

The hook of DayZ is the persistence of your player and inventory, that's not really stats (calling it stats gives ppl the wrong impression). This persistent master server is the magic ingredient.. This could be applied to many other missions too (military). And I believe they could be just as popular too, but it has to be easily accessible.

DayZ can be fun for a certain time and its imo most liked/played by casual players. (*other than feature vs feature enhancements)

This is what PVP fans in the OFP universe have been crying out for for years. A unique game mode that involves player V player that is highly popular ( and isn't just CTF or Hold). The only way this can exist is via something that can be played by casual players. A hugely popular PVP mode that is complex and requires lots of team work is a pipe dream I believe.

Edited by -=seany=-

What stats? there are no stats as far as I can see, not yet anyway. Stats to me mean some kind of leader board or ranking system, which so far DayZ does not have.

The hook of DayZ is the persistence of your player and inventory, that's not really stats (calling it stats gives ppl the wrong impression). This persistent master server is the magic ingredient..

Gear = loot = stats = "achievements" = all the same. You've understood the concept.

This could be applied to many other missions too (military). And I believe they could be just as popular too, but it has to be easily accessible.

Really now, and where would we need a master server, during which engagements are we going to need persistent status of the battlefield? Are current 2-6 hour Warfare games not enough? Does somebody want to create a MMO out of this?

Pick a niche, please!

This is what PVP fans in the OFP universe have been crying out for for years. A unique game mode that involves player V player that is highly popular ( and isn't just CTF or Hold). The only way this can exist is via something that can be played by casual players. A hugely popular PVP mode that is complex and requires lots of team work is a pipe dream I believe.

Really? We have the perfect PVP gamemode in ArmA, but apparently no one gives a f-ck about it, except a few modders of said mission, and that mission is CTI Warfare - why doesn't BIS develop it further? You want me to switch over to zombie land apocalypse to enjoy the hardcore-ness of brutal milsim PVP?

What a farce.

the only stats you have is your lifetime since spawn, zombie and player kills ... and that's it ... and all goes null when you die

Really? We have the perfect PVP gamemode in ArmA, but apparently no one gives a f-ck about it, except a few modders of said mission, and that mission is CTI Warfare - why doesn't BIS develop it further? You want me to switch over to zombie land apocalypse to enjoy the hardcore-ness of brutal milsim PVP?

What a farce.

Not at all. I'm just saying that it could be possible for some one else to use a similar model but have it on a different, more military or real world theme. Of course it will take some one clever to come up with the right type of mission. It's obviously a popular model though ( the persistent server), why not use it for the basis on other real world type missions for some folks who don't like the whole zombie/ unreal setting? To me the fact that DayZ exists should be promising to the Milsim fans wanting a PVP mode as popular as DayZ is. It means that with the right person creating it and right mission the potential is there for a really good/ highly popular milsim game PVP mode.

And if we already have the perfect PVP gamemode in Arma, then why is it no gives a f-ck about (as you say) ?

Edited by -=seany=-