Sign in to follow this  
almanzo

Congratulations Bohemia Interactive

About time folks are tired of that arcade crap they've been fed with for years :)

I think it isn't because they have been tired of that arcade COD or Battlefield and then trying on ArmA II but rather it's because DayZ that everyone wants to buy ArmA II.

I think it isn't because they have been tired of that arcade COD or Battlefield and then trying on ArmA II but rather it's because DayZ that everyone wants to buy ArmA II.

"regardless of why the sales increased", it is still a good thing. DayZ came from the same blood :)

"regardless of why the sales increased", it is still a good thing. DayZ came from the same blood :)

yes it is :D

But I hope that what makes ArmA II sales booming is because it's core gameplay , but with this DayZ I guess peeps whose didn't even heard about ArmA at all before will be acknowledging that there is a realistic military simulator called ArmA :)

I'm just happy that the game is doing well, I hope I can buy it soon. Looking forward to having a good milsim. BF2 Project Reality is fun, but sometimes you need something more realistic.

If this is true what they write in the PcGamer and they are working on a standalone game for DayZ, why dont they sell it instead as a DLC for Arma 3 ? Look at the Steam charts....this would booost Arma 3 aswell and bring in new player for all gameplay modes and not just for a seperate standalone game. Just wonder....a standalone would split the the new player boom again, except the players could connect to other Arma 3 mods. Hope they dont miss a big chance here for Arma 3 itself and the community to make the game more popular.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/06/rumour-dayz-creator-instructed-to-work-on-mod-full-time-by-bohemia/

Edited by oxmox

Blockbuster Max Payne displaced to No. 2.

Actually, Arma2 displacing Max payne 3 has happened a few times already, lol. Is like a boxing match; one is on top, later the other one is.

---------- Post added at 00:44 ---------- Previous post was at 00:37 ----------

If this is true what they write in the PcGamer and they are working on a standalone game for DayZ, why dont they sell it instead as a DLC for Arma 3 ? Look at the Steam charts....this would booost Arma 3 aswell and bring in new player for all gameplay modes and not just for a seperate standalone game. Just wonder....a standalone would split the the new player boom again, except the players could connect to other Arma 3 mods. Hope they dont miss a big chance here for Arma 3 itself and the community to make the game more popular.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/06/rumour-dayz-creator-instructed-to-work-on-mod-full-time-by-bohemia/

I think Dayz from a business stand point would be better off as a stand alone game in the future using the Arma engine than a DLC. A "DLC" gives the impression that the title is a small game; an appendage of something better. The DLC scenario might be good in the beginning for Dayz but if Dayz becomes highly profitable then becoming a standalone game is the next logical step.

Edited by Lorca

Wish they hit the 1 000 000 sales mark just like OFP. Would be a gigantic step forward.

If this is true what they write in the PcGamer and they are working on a standalone game for DayZ, why dont they sell it instead as a DLC for Arma 3 ?

DLC is good, but if hundreds of thousands of people came over the forums for DayZ only and with the same cravings like we have for the main game then that cant be good can it? I got nothing against DayZ, i think its fun as hell, but if it makes great sales and pull tons of new players in then it might be best to have it separately. With 2 games within the same game that have a big player base each that both shout for fixes features, follow ups etc etc one can only think of compromises, and that doesnt really feel like a good thing.

What IS good though is that BIS gets more $$ and that Rocket pulled more (many more) players into our beloved game, and that new pool of players will see ARMA3 which is enhanced over ARMA2 regarding smoother gameplay (animations), more streamlined GUI and with more eye candy so many of them surely will start playing ARMA as well (as they will see how f-ing awesome it is). And im sure backing this to a 100%.

Im not working at BIS so i cant really say how it all will be handled, but i think all of us ARMA nuts always feel a bit scared that our game will get compromised one way or another, and when a zombie gamemode gets tons of attention then many of us get a bit shaky no matter how fun and great it is. ;)

DLC is good, but if hundreds of thousands of people came over the forums for DayZ only and with the same cravings like we have for the main game then that cant be good can it? I got nothing against DayZ, i think its fun as hell, but if it makes great sales and pull tons of new players in then it might be best to have it separately. With 2 games within the same game that have a big player base each that both shout for fixes features, follow ups etc etc one can only think of compromises, and that doesnt really feel like a good thing.

What IS good though is that BIS gets more $$ and that Rocket pulled more (many more) players into our beloved game, and that new pool of players will see ARMA3 which is enhanced over ARMA2 regarding smoother gameplay (animations), more streamlined GUI and with more eye candy so many of them surely will start playing ARMA as well (as they will see how f-ing awesome it is). And im sure backing this to a 100%.

Im not working at BIS so i cant really say how it all will be handled, but i think all of us ARMA nuts always feel a bit scared that our game will get compromised one way or another, and when a zombie gamemode gets tons of attention then many of us get a bit shaky no matter how fun and great it is. ;)

I agree 100%. I'm extremely happy for BIS because they are getting revenues that they should have had many years ago. Their hard work is paying off. Already, people are admiring the beautiful map of Chernarus.

Anyways, don't worry about any significant compromises, if at all. Even if Dayz does become very successful I highly doubt it will hinder the quality of the Arma series. Is probable that BIS will still remain a indie company even with the possible success of Dayz. BIS has invested so much in the military style of gaming that I highly doubt they are going to throw it all for a zombie game. BIS is a business and I wouldn't be surprise if the CEO hires a few more employees to work on Dayz with Rocket as creative director and whatnot in that department. Luckily, EA isn't pulling any of the strings on this company.

Edited by Lorca

Exactly. I also believe that DayZ players currently out number the "normal" ArmA playerbase. If they released DayZ as a DLC, it would be a mess with the military simulator players asking for this and that, and the zombie players asking for different things.

They'd definitely be best as separate games.

Let us not forget that one of the reason of Dayz success is the map of Chernarus. Chernarus, like Arma 2 itself, is a very underrated map. It's a beautiful and, most importantly, believable world. Then again, I shouldn't be surprise since the devs use real world data to map Chernarus with some modification to make it playable. Also, another thing that makes Chernarus believable and something which many don't really pay attention perhaps, is the spatial distances. When you run or walk you really notice a correct amount of space that you have covered. In other words, unlike other CoD style shooters, you cover distances in a very unrealistic way. Arcade games are just like that; you pass along the whole length of a house in 1-2 seconds.

i think people are more in to sandbox lately. Not being forced to get there, or do this cause game objective tells you it, but rather explore the world on your own, make objectives u want by urself. Sadly i got tired of dayz lately, i enjoyed more walking alone, when you got lots of teammates on ur side, and constantly talk in TS, it breaks the atmosphere a lot, you don't feel alone, hopeless and have no fear for ur life.

Still amazes me how DAYZ managed to get that popular, by zero marketing and advertising. I think big game industry companies, are abit upset, they spend millions for marketing, and BIS just gets best seller in steam, cause of 1 simple mod. lol!

i think people are more in to sandbox lately. Not being forced to get there, or do this cause game objective tells you it, but rather explore the world on your own, make objectives u want by urself. Sadly i got tired of dayz lately, i enjoyed more walking alone, when you got lots of teammates on ur side, and constantly talk in TS, it breaks the atmosphere a lot, you don't feel alone, hopeless and have no fear for ur life.

Still amazes me how DAYZ managed to get that popular, by zero marketing and advertising. I think big game industry companies, are abit upset, they spend millions for marketing, and BIS just gets best seller in steam, cause of 1 simple mod. lol!

The Holy Grail of marketing is trying to understand what people want and give them want they want. Even when this happens, it's still not guaranteed your marketing will succeed. There was this music band who created a cassette with many songs, the not so good songs were placed on side B(as customary)and their best songs on side A. Guess what? one song, just ONE song from side B somehow touched a chord with people that it became an instant hit selling millions. Look at Facebook. There were other similar social sites that offered the same stuff and much more but somehow people were fixated with Facebook. It's a mystery really what makes something a hit and BIS should thank the Gods that this gift call Dayz no matter how insignificant and "childish" it may be for some has come to their door step.

Edited by Lorca

i say, show DAYZ players, who came and played dayz only, some real arma! I have a clan, based on DAYZ, and 1 day i told them to go on a warfare server. They were amazed, how huge and different this mission was compared to dayz. But it seemed abit to hard for them, we let to and PvE server, now they been playing PvE only for a week or so, forgeting about dayz :D.

If some true arma 2 players, have new friends from dayz, just show them what really arma is, i bet they will be amazed as my friends were!

yeah, that looks like a similar thread.

Lol, one thing I've noticed about BIS forums is that more than any other game forum, they have this inexorable disdain towards threads posted in the wrong section. Veteran or noobie members will crucify you for this. Is mind-bottling. Even when logging in the forum for the first time you have to swear an oath to this law. First time I've ever seen that in a game forum.

Edited by Lorca

I think I played on a warfare server which is perfectly suited for DayZ Players. At first he forced grass on Cherna (Which I think is a must because everything is slower and more intense and looks better, you arent forced to disable grass you are not at an disadvantage).

And second the money gain was very slow.-

There was very much Teamwork on that server and you had only like 3 or 4 AI Soldiers. I liked that one because it focused more on Infantry and immersion!

And sometimes you had no money..

I think such a Server is a good entry for DayZ player. Of course we want flying choppers, arty, planes bases, but at first we got to learn the basics...

I think I played on a warfare server which is perfectly suited for DayZ Players. At first he forced grass on Cherna (Which I think is a must because everything is slower and more intense and looks better, you arent forced to disable grass you are not at an disadvantage).

And second the money gain was very slow.-

There was very much Teamwork on that server and you had only like 3 or 4 AI Soldiers. I liked that one because it focused more on Infantry and immersion!

And sometimes you had no money..

I think such a Server is a good entry for DayZ player. Of course we want flying choppers, arty, planes bases, but at first we got to learn the basics...

warfare means everything! You can play with all the stuff arma has to offer in this game, almost every weapon/vehicle/chooper/plane. Its a matter of time, when commander upgrades aircraft factory, so you can buy chopper and planes. At begining you got nothing, then you can buy units and vehicles, later tanks, aircrafts, and at very end, you can trow a nuke at enemys base :D

I know but normally i have enough money for a full squad and tanks and stuff...

on this server i had no money for even ammo sometimes.. it was hard, and I took really care of my one and only AI Soldier I could afford ;)

Whoever sets the parameter can easily dictates how the session will be played.

1. Reduce the amounts of income and you will see more infantry based players or light vehicle units. People tend to stick together too to increase survival rates

2. Set money penalty on mobile spawn will make players play less rambo style since it costly to respawn and die again.

3. Disable town camp spawn and only let spawn on ambulance/mash will let you have a more tactical gameplay

Whoever sets the parameter can easily dictates how the session will be played.

1. Reduce the amounts of income and you will see more infantry based players or light vehicle units. People tend to stick together too to increase survival rates

2. Set money penalty on mobile spawn will make players play less rambo style since it costly to respawn and die again.

3. Disable town camp spawn and only let spawn on ambulance/mash will let you have a more tactical gameplay

that all soumds neta, but who will like play with such hardcore setting?

---------- Post added at 06:54 ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 ----------

I know but normally i have enough money for a full squad and tanks and stuff...

on this server i had no money for even ammo sometimes.. it was hard, and I took really care of my one and only AI Soldier I could afford ;)

well, just feel free to ask your commander, for moneys, if he has enough he must share some with you, thats what im always doing.

So long as this mod doesn't set a dangerous surrealist precedent with ARMA3 I give it my full support. ARMA3 MUST stay a milsim first and foremost. If the first official expansion pack is the translation of dayZ over it then so be it but IMHO what makes that mod so appealing in the first place is that it takes high-realism survival. With some leeway given for being bitten by a zombie of course..

I agree, but you could look at this in reverse: what if some of the hardcore survival elements from DayZ were to make their way back into Arma (i.e soldiers having to eat and drink periodically, hunt animals if stranded behind enemy lines, monitor body temperature to avoid infection....)? Could really enhance the SF aspect of Arma III...

I agree, but you could look at this in reverse: what if some of the hardcore survival elements from DayZ were to make their way back into Arma (i.e soldiers having to eat and drink periodically, hunt animals if stranded behind enemy lines, monitor body temperature to avoid infection....)? Could really enhance the SF aspect of Arma III...

As with DayZ, it can be scripted into missions (that need it) even now. Simulating a soldier with really fast metabolism and a broken immune system (AIDS?) on the engine level is going to limit the kinds of missions that can be made without applying workarounds.