Sign in to follow this  
almanzo

Congratulations Bohemia Interactive

well done... more beer for the Xmas Party....:yay:

Congratulations guys!! Good to see one of my favorite games up there.

Ex-original Op Flash player here. Haven't played a whole lot of ARMA but the word of mouth from some friends, various videos and streams, had me run straight to steam and purchase Arma 2 CO. I think a few people on here really are being modest and downplaying what Rocket's project has done. I understand that you all have your allegiances as loyal ARMA fans, and you look at Dayz as this stripped down, simplified mod version of the game you love, but you're selling a great idea short.

ARMA in itself, is a fantastic sim that offers unrivaled realistic visuals and a massive world to play in, I think the biggest things holding the game back from a bigger audience is the clunkiness and lack of polish in some areas even more than the learning curve that some people seem to perceive as the problem.

Dayz represents a much bigger point than simply whether or not Arma is a good game or engine. For years, the gaming industry has been trending towards more simple gameplay, easier multiplayer... you know the kind, the arcade-y shooter, the MMORPG's that have been so simplified they almost feel like they're on rails now... Dayz represents the fact that the gaming community is ready for hardcore sandbox gameplay that isn't overbalanced into oblivion.

The selling point for people on Dayz isn't simply "zombies" as I've seen people saying. It's the lawlessness. It's the fact that every single person I've encountered that wasn't an IRL friend of mine, we had a tense conversation, and backed away from each other with guns drawn. There is no safety in Dayz. There is no newbie friendly zones or NPC guards. There is you, the huge map, loot that you absolutely need to survive, and people who want your loot.

Dayz offers so much more than zombies. I wish the ARMA community as a whole would understand that. Dayz has singlehandedly pushed ARMA out of being an obscure, small knit community, to the #1 title on Steam over a CoD map-pack that fanboys far and wide are downloading while foaming at the mouth, and 8 other titles, some major Triple A titles that were recently discounted.

I hope that BIS sees what Rocket has accomplished in his free time and truly supports it going forward. With the release of ARMA 3, the new features, and potential features that we may not know about right now, they could turn Dayz into the perfect companion game-mode of ARMA 3 that could help drive sales even further. Look at how many people ran out to buy an ALPHA version of a mod for a game they've never played before. Imagine what you could do with it being a supported, fully developed gameplay mode or stand-alone game? If Dayz offered something like barricading or occupying buildings and towns, you could see an entire player-based barter and trade economy built, tense alliances, warfare, a world in it's own.

For the TLDR crowd, this is my plea for BIS to support Dayz fully going forward, and turn it into the hardcore sandbox multiplayer experience that a segment of PC gamers have been waiting for since the days of Ultima Online and Shadowbane. Something that doesn't exist anywhere else. Please don't sweep this under the rug as simply another "zombie craze". You aren't giving Dayz credit by doing that.

The only downside is the 'new people' who have moved in - some of them are cads, bounders and general ruffians. We still have time to turn them into civilised people though!

!

kinda like the new blood. more variety, more life to the arma series. the more types the merrier.

and very well done to BIS and Rocket.

Yes, the new bloods can come from various community, a bit run gun-ish bit. I prefer playing old fashion coop closed off community away from them but when I play with my zombie lover friends on ARMA on DayZ, I usually group up with them, steer clear of those guys unless they try to shoot us we pop them :p . A bit barbaric if people shoot anything that moves on sight. Of course popularity would bring in kids that will annoy me but I guess that's what happen to a popular mod/game/whatsoever.

I do like seeing the community of ARMA being more alive and more revenues for BIS is always good. They've done a great job and deserve the cash.

Speaking of Ultima online..

High fantasy game set on the arma2/3 engine?

yeah, pretty crazy so long after launch.

Come on BI, you have enough cash to make a third island for Arma 3 now!!

Excellent, let's see if BIS is going to trick the community with this mod and let the A2OA issues/bugs "disappear" below DayZ multiplayer statistics....

Dayz will be apart of the 1.61 patch for A2, and we will see dogs woohoo

Dayz will be apart of the 1.61 patch for A2, and we will see dogs woohoo

Official source? Or hearsay? ;)

I think you misunderstand it completely. The way I understand is that they will do some fixes helpful for dayZ (but also Arma in general). Those will be part of 1.61. To include dayZ itself makes no sense at all at this point when its still frequently updated.

Read again:

Asked whether the mod's success could lead to Bohemia Interactive actually lending a helping hand (the mod's creator is currently a little overwhelmed by the response), Španěl says that the developer is actually accommodating DayZ in ArmA II's next update.

"Bohemia Interactive has always tried to help community mod makers in many different ways and Day Z mod is no different", he says. "We're more than happy to assist DayZ in any suitable way and considering the mod's popularity we are committed to do some related work in the next Arma 2 update (1.61)."

DayZ is not going to be included in the next patch. You did not understand. Maruk said that they will accommodate DayZ in the next patch.

The definition of accommodate: Fitting in with someone's wishes or demands in a helpful way.

So basically, they will make ArmA work better with the demands of DayZ.

DayZ is not going to be included in the next patch. You did not understand. Maruk said that they will accommodate DayZ in the next patch.

The definition of accommodate: Fitting in with someone's wishes or demands in a helpful way.

So basically, they will make ArmA work better with the demands of DayZ.

Well, if it accommodates for DayZ's demands, it should help all of us zombie mission makers.

So I'm happy. :D

Nice now BIS could possibly add closing/opening door sounds other interactive sounds to the game :D

Rewatching the trailers of the game-which-shall-not-be-named. No mod support, eh?

This demonstrates how important this can be. Great judgement on bohemias part, fantastic job by the DayZ people. Arma 2 is 1st place on steam at this minute. This is how you extend a games lifetime.

I´m looking forward to future developments on this. And without the hard-core community which sustained bohemia ever since OFP, none of this would´ve been possible. I think this, in a sense, has been a grand team effort so far. I am sounding pretty pompous, don´t I? Yay, we rock, us, them, ERRYBODY! 8D

Maybe even somebody who isn´t interested in MP at all, such as me, will take a look at this mod. Once it´s going properly, I´ll make sure to take a peek. Thumbs up!

Now this will give +1 point for the pro pc group with the console vs PC argument thread lol XD

Currently holding at the #1 rank. And to think I'm on a laggy sat connection that can't do MP... :p

just gues when all the boys get a bit bored of DayZ and have a look at the warsim, they will totally be crazy when they notice what is possible hehe

just gues when all the boys get a bit bored of DayZ and have a look at the warsim, they will totally be crazy when they notice what is possible hehe

Yikes. Once they get tired of DayZ and decide to try out ArmA. Then the normal ArmA servers will be shit as well! I really hope that the people who do try to play ArmA, play it for what it is, using tactics rather than just running and gunning lone man, and do not try to change it so it's like another Battlefield or Call of Duty.

Rewatching the trailers of the game-which-shall-not-be-named. No mod support, eh?

What game?

Edited by Nicholas

Such a shame 20,000 new players to the Arma engine are going to be met with such elitist arseness.

Seriously lads, we all love Arma....suck it up and help these guys play the game. Arma has issues, issues we overlook cos we know underneath is a goddamn awesome game engine that lets us play the game whatever way we want. We can mod it, make missions for it, create our own DLC. So rather than being dicks to these new players maybe we should help and point out nicely that we have some other things they might like now that they own the game.

Fair few on here look on the new players in a detrimental way but fact is, they are helping to ensure Arma 3 is released and doesnt go down the same road Stalker went. Lets be honest Video games are like music and movies now.....only the popcorn sells and major publishers only care about the popcorn.

So for the craic, help the new players? And stop being elitist dicks to them?

Dayz is brilliant btw its new way to play games(to Arma players not so much) but the core game mechanic is absent here, you create your own story and your own way to play. Its actually quite brilliant and all Arma players really should play this....if they can get onto a server :)

Yikes. Once they get tired of DayZ and decide to try out ArmA. Then the normal ArmA servers will be shit as well! I really hope that the people who do try to play ArmA, play it for what it is, using tactics rather than just running and gunning lone man, and do not try to change it so it's like another Battlefield or Call of Duty.

What game?

The great big "competitor" Arma 2 had back in 09. Can you believe it´s been 3 years already? One of the big initial blows to the then -very- active and hopeful community (who were still disappointed by the lackluster Armed Assault and general lack of milsims on the market. The hope was that DR would then turn out to be a fully blown, proper military battlefield simulator to stand up to and beat Arma 2, which was going to be released around the same time.) was the announcement of the devs that the game would not support -any- kind of mods, and that no mod tools would ever be provided outside of the mission editor.

What we´re seeing now is that mod support can turn out to be a vital pillar of support for a game. Now the community needs to make the most of the influx of new players.

And I´m with kdjac here. Being elitist tightbums will only serve to alienate the newcomers. Milsimmers aren´t born, they are made: either by personal military experience, or by being shown that playing in such a tight and unforgiving environment is the most supreme, enjoyable kind of fun.

Arma is like a really good, expensive whiskey. Without putting effort into enjoying it, it´ll just burn your tongue and throat, and leave a lingering taste of grain and jet fuel in your mouth. But if you put effort into enjoying it (which is what the newcomers, once they get bored by the zombies need to be animated to do) you will discovered new nuances of taste, complexity and delight. In the case of Arma, that probably involves operating as operational operators under operational conditions in top secret operations.

An-ee-way. If new people show up, let´s welcome them. Maybe they´re the founders of the next CSLA, CWR or ACE modding team.