Sign in to follow this  
Ragid1

Please don't make this M

Maybe a bit offtopic, but kind of funny, bf3 tourettes medic.

Where is the swearing in A2?

There is quite a lot of swearing... in Czech ;) I almost fell of my chair when I heard those random "redneck" fights, absolutely hilarious! ;)

I think (and correct me if i am wrong about this) that the reason most of you don't want to see the gore taken away is because you think that if you take that away you will have to take away the realism as well, and i think that that doesn't have to happen, i also think that you think that if it is rated teen that a lot of whiny and stupid kids will play it and then the multiplayer will be ruined, but i think that just making it complex and realistic, which i defiantly think ARMA has done, that those kids will try it and then after sucking at it they will just leave and only the players you would be okay with will remain. look at (and i know these are mods but) the BF2 mods forgotten hope (a WW2 mod) and project reality both are realistic mods for an otherwise unrealistic game rated teen, however you will never find those snotty whiny kids playing those games because they are to hard for them, so i think the online community would be pretty much the same except that any only Teen rated gamers (such as myself) who fit into your good players category would be able to play it. just my 2 cents. and i know that this is probably not going to happen, it's just that i want so badly to be to play such a good game like this, since so many games nowadays have gone to the arcade style shooter, and to see such a good game like ARMA 3 i really want to play it. thank you

Maybe you should convince your parents you are mature enough to play these games even though you are under the age limit to purchase them yourself? As far as not being able to get this game while being under the age limit to buy it, you seem to be in the minority as I have rarely known a parent who would even blink an eye at getting their kids an M rated game. That may or may not be the best thing to say about society but it seems like most kids can handle seeing a bit of blood and swearing, unless they have been totally sheltered all their life.

I'll say it again though, I find it more disturbing that people would want to wrap up the horrors of war into a nice clean package that presents itself as having very little to no visceral impact on people. Arma makes war very clean looking. No one is getting their head split open, their now vacant skull flopping around only bound by what remains of their scalp. No one has their leg blown off, broken shards of bone jutting from the wound as they crawl around screaming for their mothers. No one gets shot in the chest, having their lungs collapse as their chest heaves struggling to breath. No ones guts are splayed out on the ground with the victim trying to shove everything back inside themselves.

Arma is very clean for what it represents.

Edited by NouberNou

Is this a joke? I sure hope so!

Above poster saved me the trouble of writing anything more about it...

I call for realistic wounding, and fully body/limb destruction. Land mines make a real mess.

:P

Maybe you should convince your parents you are mature enough to play these games even though you are under the age limit to purchase them yourself? As far as not being able to get this game while being under the age limit to buy it, you seem to be in the minority as I have rarely known a parent who would even blink an eye at getting their kids an M rated game. That may or may not be the best thing to say about society but it seems like most kids can handle seeing a bit of blood and swearing, unless they have been totally sheltered all their life.

I'll say it again though, I find it more disturbing that people would want to wrap up the horrors of war into a nice clean package that presents itself as having very little to no visceral impact on people. Arma makes war very clean looking. No one is getting their head split open, their now vacant skull flopping around only bound by what remains of their scalp. No one has their leg blown off, broken shards of bone jutting from the wound as they crawl around screaming for their mothers. No one gets shot in the chest, having their lungs collapse as their chest heaves struggling to breath. No ones guts are splayed out on the ground with the victim trying to shove everything back inside themselves.

Arma is very clean for what it represents.

Yep it is, in real war limbs fly and heads come off. I don't really want that in ARMA 2 or ARMA 3 though.

The most realistic military simulator (except for you know the whole violent part of the military where people are killed, ew)!

Lord Ivan said it should be technically possible to mod it in.

I want a WWI mod.

OP, do you know that you are talking about a war simulator (or at least as close you can get as a consumer)?

Minors do not participate and are not allowed to participate in war. So why on earth and all thats remotely holy would they even consider making this a youngster-friendly game?

Besides this, what have ever stopped somebody from buying an M-rated game? If its their conscience, they should wait until they are 18 instead of compromising a great game.

I really cannot take you seriously.

Hmmm... A3 units should act always political correct eg "Oh hello Sir, could you get me some of these magic bandages? I just got hit and this wound is bleeding a little bit here and there.... and thank you very much.... God bless you!" Are we playing a military game or something with unicorns and fluffy bunnies? ;)

"As you can see I've just been shot in the head. It's nothing serious but I am bleeding badly" - Sion Lenton, producer of the Disney version of warfare.

ArmA is a semi-Simulator, so it should strive to get closer to reality, not water down the realism of the simulation by removing current features to appease adolescents and the fainthearted. It's war, in a firefight all speech that is not aimed at directing the action or keeping equipment in working order is spent cursing or taunting. Mutilation happens, though I wouldn't consider increasing the range of possibilities of this aspect a priority.

Edited by JdB

I don't honestly have an issue with the swearing in games as long as it is appropriate. E.g. you wounded in BF3 you drop an f bomb Highly appropriate and acceptable seeing as I took a bullet. If this happened IRL I am sure I would do the same. That said swearing for swearing's sake is pointless and actually makes the game a joke. (not that I don't like a bit of banter as long as it doesn't make the game a joke)

OP you should really get your parents on side if you want to Arma 3 instead of attempting to remove/alter what could arguably important elements of realism from the game. Also as said previously it is not an M rated topic it is a very much restricted, 18 ,MA rated topic.

Lastly at least in Australia M is a recommended rating as opposed to a legally binding thing is this different to where you hark from. Admittedly parents will obviously have control in this as well though.

Regards

I think (and correct me if i am wrong about this) that the reason most of you don't want to see the gore taken away is because you think that if you take that away you will have to take away the realism as well, and i think that that doesn't have to happen, i also think that you think that if it is rated teen that a lot of whiny and stupid kids will play it and then the multiplayer will be ruined, but i think that just making it complex and realistic, which i defiantly think ARMA has done, that those kids will try it and then after sucking at it they will just leave and only the players you would be okay with will remain. look at (and i know these are mods but) the BF2 mods forgotten hope (a WW2 mod) and project reality both are realistic mods for an otherwise unrealistic game rated teen, however you will never find those snotty whiny kids playing those games because they are to hard for them, so i think the online community would be pretty much the same except that any only Teen rated gamers (such as myself) who fit into your good players category would be able to play it. just my 2 cents. and i know that this is probably not going to happen, it's just that i want so badly to be to play such a good game like this, since so many games nowadays have gone to the arcade style shooter, and to see such a good game like ARMA 3 i really want to play it. thank you

You are very wrong about PR. They are always on actually, I know that because i've been playing PR daily for nearly 6 or so years.

Swearing happens. A lot, it's life, get with the program.

Edited by SGTIce

In my opinion, if ArmA3 would be rated 'T' it wouldn't feel at all like a mil-sim and it would be more of a 'Get this objective done to beat the mission' kind of game (Like how the old Army Men Toy Soldiers games used to be). It's the more dark, cruel and even ugly things that war brings (Mass graves, murder, assault against civilians, loss of a friend in combat, etc) that gives the game campaigns and missions more relation to real life.

More so since in ArmA3, you'll be playing a soldier on the ground where you see the ugly side of war beyond 'Get Objective A done then more to extraction zone C' and see the impact it has on a population and people.

In my opinion, ArmA3 should retain it's rating as M to make it known that war is not a game and is an ugly thing. When I think about making ArmA3 T rating, I think about the removal of all the strong story points such as mass graves or other mentally or emotionally scarring plot points that make a campaign. And with that, would tell children (If it was T rating, 13 year old kids will buy it. And yes, they're still children imo) that war isn't horrifying and bad. That you can run around with the only possible threat to you is the enemy with a gun, which it isn't.

I remember back when shooters used to be 'T'. They were -very- bland and had -zero- story. They were simple 'Defeat the enemy' games where there was no blood, there was no dialogue between the player and his team (If there was one) and the enemy. It was dull, and you never felt like you were the character, you never were pulled into the game. You felt like you were playing a game, shooting stupid computer generated AI that had the same routines.

Now, what I think about the ArmA series, I think about how it brings the more deeper, emotional side of the people and populace of where you're fighting. The story points (May they be how ever dark and gruesome) make you feel the impact of what is happening in the campaign/mission and with the ability to 'Play the role' of your character and that the characters actually display their emotion and opinion about what is happening, you feel that you're not playing a 'Game' but are living the characters life during their combat action tour. You are shown a more realistic side to the war beyond 'Capture point A' and such as older games used to be, and in turn, showing a more mature view of such a bad thing.

If you look back at T-Shooters, most were more of an Arcade-like style where all it was that you had to defeat the enemy to progress. Now, as the idea of strong, controversial plot points (Like going into an airport and starting to shoot civilians/Murder or sexual assault on people) the standard for shooters changed to show a more human and emotional side that most would deem as 'Mature' content that (Most) children can't handle. Take away the factors that make modern Shooters 'M' rated, you get a bland game that is just running and gunning. (The way 90% of shooters used to be about)

And, sorry for typing so much and possibly repeating things but I was tired typing this up and couldn't hold by my view. If need I can clear up something if it's confusing x.x

Not possible as long as there is killing, blood and harsh language included.

And I doubt that there are many players around who agree on removing that to attract more kids players.

Besides that, there are enough 13 year olds around already who are not able to write one sentence without errors, have no manners and screw up games whenever they see a chance. We surely don't need more of them. :)

I was born in 1989 and played OFP CWC when the demo came out, then I let my brother buy it :yay: .

not possible as long as there is killing, blood and harsh language included.

And i doubt that there are many players around who agree on removing that to attract more kids players.

Besides that, there are enough 13 year olds around already who are not able to write one sentence without errors, have no manners and screw up games whenever they see a chance. We surely don't need more of them. :)

amen!!

On the subject of swearing. All i need to do is take one step outside to hear kids anywhere from 7 years and up talk about how they are going to F* each others mothers and butt F eachother etc.

I don't see that as a problem personally considering the irony of it all. It's just the way it works, they learn the "harshness" of the word and abuse it to bits taking the edge off of the whole thing.

In the past it was considered ill mannered to say "hell". These days it's a valid replacement for sh*t.

In 20 years time F***, S***, A** will all be considered valid replacements for whatever new words are worse to say that kids will say to get some attention.

Beyond that, swearing happens in war. Swearing happens in the military period, no matter what nation that military belongs to.

Not simulating that immersion aspect of the game to stay "politically correct" just makes for a bleak and gray experience.

Anyways, where i live, the only people that complain about the constant swearing are elderly people. They rest just don't give a F, it's perfectly normal.

EDIT:

Oh and the only reason i censor these words here is because the forum rules might prohibit the use. Doesn't mean EVERYBODY here know exactly which words i am talking about.

Once again, i don't see how that makes any difference if i replace the "bad" letters with asterisks.

We all know the words, why are we so offended by them?

On the subject of swearing. All i need to do is take one step outside to hear kids anywhere from 7 years and up talk about how they are going to F* each others mothers and butt F eachother etc.

I don't see that as a problem personally considering the irony of it all. It's just the way it works, they learn the "harshness" of the word and abuse it to bits taking the edge off of the whole thing.

In the past it was considered ill mannered to say "hell". These days it's a valid replacement for sh*t.

In 20 years time F***, S***, A** will all be considered valid replacements for whatever new words are worse to say that kids will say to get some attention.

Beyond that, swearing happens in war. Swearing happens in the military period, no matter what nation that military belongs to.

Not simulating that immersion aspect of the game to stay "politically correct" just makes for a bleak and gray experience.

Anyways, where i live, the only people that complain about the constant swearing are elderly people. They rest just don't give a F, it's perfectly normal.

EDIT:

Oh and the only reason i censor these words here is because the forum rules might prohibit the use. Doesn't mean EVERYBODY here know exactly which words i am talking about.

Once again, i don't see how that makes any difference if i replace the "bad" letters with asterisks.

We all know the words, why are we so offended by them?

Go on the street, in the midst of adults, and you will here the same language. I understand that cursing can be excessive in games, but don't buy into the illusion that cursing is what kids do. There's cursing in every age group, and most likely the kids that curse did so after hearing adults curse. So anyone complaining about cursing should get used to it.

And, I understand, some of you who don't want cursing in the game may not have headphones, and may have kids around. Well, ArmA2 is, and ArmA3 most likely will be, an M-rated game, so get your kids away from it anyway. You're concerned? Good, it's rated M for a host of reasons. Your kids shouldn't even be around you while you're playing it anyway.