Sign in to follow this  
-Snafu-

Operation E3

The running speed in Arma 2 is just fine...

Contradictory info from Jay starting @7:05

Not really... he was not at all talking about walking speeds. Only about a fatigue system.

And at exactly 7:05 it looks really like he was walking at 20km/h+

Please find me the YT Video with Ivan Buchta. If its not in there, then its in a blog or in a late post by smoothie (or however that Dev is called)

Edited by mr.g-c

Well if what mr.g-c says is true - it's actually funny. Because if we are to believe Codemasters at the time - OFP with its slow realistic movement, perma-aiming deadzone, clunky (if you think ArmA2 is clunky play OFP) movement, handmade animations which were beyond horrible and real aimbot AI (really if you think AI in ArmA2 can easily snipe you - play OFP) - sold 2 mln copies. During that time on PC it was the number "BIG" names like Diablo and BG were selling.

OFP sold so much because they've made a great campaign and something different without any compromises for "accessibility". ArmA1 lost a lot of players for a reason.

I just hope they keep it realistic.

That we all want more fluid movement and animations, doestn mean we want BF3 or COD movement speeds :)

yeah OFP was such a great game, I played red hammer and resistance as sonn as it came out. such a great game... back in those days it was like a storm!!! You had to learn to move "right" flank them etc, only shoot when the shot kills him etc.. great game and arma series totally are like that in my drunken eyes ^^

It takes me less than a second to raise and sight a SCAR-L with a non-magnified red dot or Eotech 552 and only a little bit longer with an Elcan Specter at 4x or Acog and that's with or without EGLM attached - the speed of the rifles is just fine in the demo IMHO

That's an interesting reference point. Is that whilst wearing full kit and a heavy backpack? How about the rate at which you can controllably swing your field of view?

Swinging your head while wearing a heavy helmet is quite 'fun' and something you learn not to do too quickly as you can easily disorient yourself, at least that's what I've experienced while wearing my kevlar helmet. Also never tilt your head to be sideways.

And at exactly 7:05 it looks really like he was walking at 20km/h+

He is running, you can see the transition if you watch closely, and it doesn't look that fast to me.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha,

Has anyone noticed that getting in that little submarine under water is just unrealistic and not defendable from any point of view ? :D :D

Has anyone noticed that getting in that little submarine under water is just unrealistic and not defendable from any point of view ? :D :D

I guess they just didn´t finish the animations?

Qaz, you little troll, you. :icon_twisted:

What do you mean? The animations suck? Or the fact that when you open the hatch it gets flooded with water, when you get in? Well you can drain it later! ;D

Yeah I noticed that. I am thinking of dropping all support, this is very bad and if BI does not change that quick I think I am done with this title :(

I can not believe they went to the E3 with that.........I mean.........what are they thinking?

DayZ will fix it, they must!

yeah, i am just trolling

Actually both running and sprinting in Arma3 are slower than in Arma2. Walk is about the same speed, and tactical pace is precisely inbetween walk and run.

All movement animations are mocap, just cleaned up, but not artificially stretched or sped up in any way.

Perhaps the feeling of faster movement is because of lower stance, better ground detail and broader FOV in Arma3?

Trust me when you open a submarine under water,it sinks :D

I'm not quite sure you understand how an SDV works...

What do you mean? The animations suck? Or the fact that when you open the hatch it gets flooded with water, when you get in? Well you can drain it later! ;D

Whatever he means I can defend it with a magical spell: "it was done for E3 purposes".

It takes me less than a second to raise and sight a SCAR-L with a non-magnified red dot or Eotech 552 and only a little bit longer with an Elcan Specter at 4x or Acog and that's with or without EGLM attached - the speed of the rifles is just fine in the demo IMHO

You do of course realise that airsoft rifles and accessories weigh quite a lot less than real rifles by nature of things like, for example a loaded 30rnd 5.56 magazine weighting half a kilogram or more than one stuffed with plastic BBs, and the higher quality of materials used to produce things to military durability and service-life requirements; particularly rifle barrels that shift a good portion of mass out in front of your support hand.

Cumulatively the mass difference will probably be a couple of kg or more, and the distribution of mass itself will be different; resulting in a change in the handling characteristics from those you've experienced.

All movement animations are mocap, just cleaned up, but not artificially stretched or sped up in any way.

Can I ask if things like the weapon reload anims are motion captured, 100% animated by hand or the product of some sort of inverse kinematics system? Would be interesting to know as an addon maker... (I'd dreading the prospect of making reload anims to be honest) :)

Edited by da12thMonkey

Trust me when you open a submarine under water,it sinks :D

The crew compartment can hold a certain volume of water, but there are separate ballast tanks in the SDV, ya nab. ;D

Actually both running and sprinting in Arma3 are slower than in Arma2. Walk is about the same speed, and tactical pace is precisely inbetween walk and run.

Perhaps the feeling of faster movement is because of lower stance, better ground detail and broader FOV in Arma3?

Or perhaps because of the lack of any weapon sway when aiming and moving. It does indeed give that floating fast impression.

The crew compartment can hold a certain volume of water

That would be an "infinite" amount, because it does not seal and is permanently flooded (assuming you're under water)

That would be an "infinite" amount, because it does not seal and is permanently flooded (assuming you're under water)

How so? Is there a broken seal between the crew area of the SDV, the engine, ballast tanks, all of the electronics et cetera? Perhaps, a manufacturing error? ;)

SDV is designed to be able to have clearly defined buoyancy characteristics and flooding the crew compartment, which is completely sealed off from the rest of the capsule, is calculated in the engineering. :)

Yawn.

Trolls'n'Haters.... they should make a song about them or so....

oh WAIT

They already did....

How so? Is there a broken seal between the crew area of the SDV, the engine, ballast tanks, all of the electronics et cetera? Perhaps, a manufacturing error?

What part of "the crew compartment does not seal" is so hard to understand?

Its not a sealed unit, there is no hatch to close, you cant drain the seawater out from it, it is always wet.

It is designed to operate this way. Are you actually this dumb, or just intentionally trying to be?

You do of course realise that airsoft rifles and accessories weigh quite a lot less than real rifles by nature of things like, for example a loaded 30rnd 5.56 magazine weighting half a kilogram or more than one stuffed with plastic BBs, and the higher quality of materials used to produce things to military durability and service-life requirements; particularly rifle barrels that shift a good portion of mass out in front of your support hand.

Cumulatively the mass difference will probably be a couple of kg or more, and the distribution of mass itself will be different; resulting in a change in the handling characteristics from those you've experienced.

Can I ask if things like the weapon reload anims are motion captured, 100% animated by hand or the product of some sort of inverse kinematics system? Would be interesting to know as an addon maker... (I'd dreading the prospect of making reload anims to be honest) :)