Sign in to follow this  
andy_Shhh

Infamous BSOD

so ive just built a new pc within the week ( specs are windows 7 64-bit, z77 pro4 mobo with intel i5 3750K ( not OC'd), 8GB Ram DDR3, and GTX 680 and 240 gb SSD ) and downloaded OA from steam. ONly things currently on the system are windows 7, avg and steam+OA atm its a bit laggy but theres plenty of tips on this forum ive not got around to yet.

my main issue is i keep getting BSOD. game starts fine, can sit in the menu's and the editor for as long as i want and its fine, BUT once i start actually playing, in the editor, boot camp, campaign, the game crashes everytime after roughly 3 minutes. Game plays fine up to that point ( all be it a bit laggy but no grpahical glitches or sound glitches or anything to suggest its going to crash)

BSOD appears 99% of the time before computer turns itself off, occasionaly just switches off with BSOD. Managed to get a picture of BSOD if its any help

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6484/photomkr.jpg (2239 kB)

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

( P.S have tried what it suggests :P )

[h=3]STOP Error 0x00000124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR[/h]STOP error 0x124 means that a fatal hardware error has occurred. uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA). STOP code 0x00000124 may also display "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" on the same STOP message.

Source: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/tp/stop_error_list_0x121.htm

Feed Google with this: STOP Error 0x00000124

You will find several (hopefully) helpful hits.

For me 99% of the time BSOD happened due to one of the ram sticks being faulty. Remove one stick, try running the game, if error persists, swap them and try again.

Yea I get BSODs too. Mine was something like STOP: 0x0000024 or something like that.

Definitely game related because other games run fine without BSODs. And coming from the fact that OP has a brand spanking new system, BSODs should not be happening so yearly.

Yea I get BSODs too. Mine was something like STOP: 0x0000024 or something like that.

Definitely game related because other games run fine without BSODs. And coming from the fact that OP has a brand spanking new system, BSODs should not be happening so yearly.

BSOD's are 99% a sign of Hardware and/or Driver problems. It might be that ArmA 2 make use of resources that aren't used on other games. STOP Error 0x24 (if this is the correct one) often point to a HDD problem or HD Controller/Driver.

Also new Hardware can be broken or incorrectly set up in BIOS.

Find free stress/memory test software. Test your RAM, CPU and GPU to check for fault.

I bought a new GPU last time and within a week it seems to degrade causing my PC to hang with colored pixels on the screen when running some games.

After doing some test using the software i found that it always happens when the GPU hit 100%. Sent it for replacement right after that.

It might be game related, but don't be too quick to judge the game. Because in my experience a spanking new system is exactly why one gets crashes and BSODs. The drivers for your top-of-the-line hardware are still fresh and there's a higher chance they have some bugs in them. When my system was new, my crash frequency was also much higher. Now that the average age of a component is 4 years I do not experience any crashes in arma 2.