Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Will Bohemia finally improve ARMA's PVP to attract New Players?

I like the one with the groovy lasers and the goats. Throwing smokes at the goats was great fun :cool:

How about we will talk about COOP and SP too?

There's not a single good official COOP mission in ArmA series at all.

How about improving SP to attract OFP players back? Those dudes who bought 2 mln of OFP copies you know and who were disappointed in ArmA1.

Why there's always so much whining about PvP somehow being not present in ArmA?

Because we have given up hope on co-op. Tactical Gamer had the best co-op missions back in the day: 30 minute briefings, full chain of command, no maps were given out to privates in certain scenarios - the whole nine yards. :)

How about we will talk about COOP and SP too?

Talk away in a thread that is about the subject. This thread is about improving PvP, not co-op or SP :)

Why there's always so much whining about PvP somehow being not present in ArmA?

So people who want to improve or move a gamemode forward are suddenly whiners? Come on.... And you give the answer yourself: people are talking about it because it's virtually not present in Arma. So we want to discuss ways on how to improve this. If you're not interested in PvP that's all fine, but why keep coming back to this thread? We're not suggesting to dumb down or change Arma gameplay across the board, so simply don't join PvP servers in Arma 3 if you think Arma should be about SP and co-op only.

Edited by zoog

The day Arma becomes competitive with battlefield or COD will be the day i stop playing it...

Battlefield and COD are popular because of their simple, no brainer combat mechanics. A smaller community allows for a more refined game based around what those who play it regularly, want from it.

The day Arma becomes competitive with battlefield or COD will be the day i stop playing it...

Battlefield and COD are popular because of their simple, no brainer combat mechanics. A smaller community allows for a more refined game based around what those who play it regularly, want from it.

They're not popular because of the simple combat mechanics. I'd almost say they're popular because they're popular, there's always people online so you can always play with and against human opponents, and PvP is always more exciting.

I believe PvP in arma 3 will be great if just a few things are implemented:

Selecting gametype before server list (just put in PvP, Co-op, custom and "all")

A points system, points for kills/flag caputure/time in koth area, also log time played, why these stupid stats? well the next "feature"

Teambalancer, rounds of 20 min and a teambalancer after every round so it's not a foredrawn conclusion which team wins, like in battlefield servers without non-dice plugins.

Game mechanics that make baserape/lockdown virtually impossible, say like a king of the hill type game where the team that holds the hill gets a big penalty on respawn time but gains points for the win.

Red orchestra has a free weekend and big discount now, we'll see if it takes off after this. It's PvP and def. not with "simple" mechanics. There's a singleplayer too but their AI makes the Arma2 AI look skilled at CQB.

You people here are so out of touch with what gamers wan't that it's almost a joke, yep all of you, even the developers. If you want to compete you need FIREFIGHTS . That's really how simple it is, most people want lengthy FIREFIGHTS and for some peculiar reason BIS never ever advertise firefights in their videos. How you going to compete if you aint even going to show some good firefights.

hUl6z0G59Ew&feature=related

I'm assuming that video is PvP? ArmA offers PvP as well, and anything you make it to be. I've had some awesome firefights in ArmA.

So that's it! Thanks, we'll add firefights to Arma 3 then. :D

So that's it! Thanks, we'll add firefights to Arma 3 then. :D

They better be all over the place. :p :pistols:

So we will need firefighters too...

Well there are other topics that talk about AI improvement, realism, accuracy which all add up to a longer and harder fought firefight. Was that an MP game shown, PVP? Or was it SP? You can get some great firefights going, it's all about tactical and strategic placement of troops, normally encompassing a linear-type mission.

That video is BF2 PR so its PvP and I too would like bigger sway and all the things that would make the firefights last longer. My knowledge about how its done in BF-PR is very limited but afaik, BF2 had minimum bullet drop if any at all but thanks to some ''simple'' walkaround they managed to introduce so called deviation, which i believe ACE implements to some extend too.

Red orchestra has a free weekend and big discount now, we'll see if it takes off after this. It's PvP and def. not with "simple" mechanics. There's a singleplayer too but their AI makes the Arma2 AI look skilled at CQB.

ro2 is just okay. but can't be compared to arma. don't you feel that you are in the box while you play it?

and hey, it got a health regen, aswell as lack of ballistics.

if you can die in one shot doesn't make the game as great as arma. ;) yeah, i tried and played it just yesterday.

also Iron Front ftw. this is really great ww2 war game.

ro2 is just okay. but can't be compared to arma. don't you feel that you are in the box while you play it?

yeah, it is a bit claustrofobic.

dunno about ballistics, you can set distances on sights but there's no actual long range combat so no way to tell really.

i just made a 600 metters shot with default riffle targeting exacly where i want to hit, aswell as trying to shoot running people with deflection. it's not working here. weapons more like lasers.

person lie down right after you pull the trigger, even tho distance was quite large

Where in hell you got a 600m shot with a rifle in RO2?

This week I played ArmA2 DM on Shipment (kudos to ...) which is very small map from CoD. I'm now comparing ArmA2 to CoD:MW. But again, it's DM, it gets boring very quickly... (+ random weapons on spawn isn't really good, pickup locations FTW).

Where in hell you got a 600m shot with a rifle in RO2?

winter one with trenches

No need to compete. I play Arma for a different reason then I play Battlefield 3. I'm a Battlefield fan but I know Arma is supposed to be a realistic sim while Battlefield is a fast shooter. I like both and when Arma 3 comes out I will still play both.

winter one with trenches

600, damn, no need to adjust the sight? or is that a server setting? or does it just not exist?

600, damn, no need to adjust the sight? or is that a server setting? or does it just not exist?

You have to get lucky. That's about it, back on topic.

but still dats lazors weapons. anyway.

feel free to check out iron front: liberation 1944. i actually enjoyed it even more then i ever enjoyed arma 2 XD

even tho it's quite vanila, you can adjuts sights on machineguns, in tanks and so on and YOU ACTUALLY SEE IT CHANGING!

played around some coop scenarions and it's kinda great.

can't comment about tank armor yet, faced only one so far, but it's great.

if arma 3 movement will be same like iron front, i would love it. rest about iron front is the same as for arma 2.

but holy fucking crap. enjoyable, and missions aren't any kind of rpg stuff which i hate with passion like go there ask this fing that. just get there kill ALL the enemies or defend someth and so on.

this is what i really loved in arma 1, and this is why i didn't complete arma 2 campaign.

missions. we need campaign that full of missions like that, and ofcause ability to play it coop. ( i'm talking about arma 3 now )

SO the question still stands.... does anyone know if this is something BIS can and is willing to do?

As much as I love the ARMA series and am pretty much at the point of "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" for the game (ARMA 3)...

I really don't want ARMA to be as popular/successful as COD/BF3. Look what happened to Blizzard after they got successful; they pretty much turned into sellouts with Activision and DRM's and three seperate campaign BS and stuff. Until Bohemia can show that they will stay true to their game, and the fans of the series rather than the general audience, I'm not willing to take the risk of them possibly doing what Blizzard did.

Although ARMA has the advantage of hardcore gameplay suited to only a very specific audience, while Blizzard games try to appeal to the general public, I think it will be much easier for them to stay true to their fans.

Thumbs up for Bohemia Interactive.