Sign in to follow this  
conanliquid

Can't get in helicopter

This has happened on several missions in career mode (although I have up til now managed to sort it out by doing things like crawling under the helicopter or crouching and looking directly upwards or spinning round and doing a merry dance) but I am now at the point where no matter what I do, I cannot get in the helicopter. I am in the mission where you take some Army vets for a ride in the Huey, then land, then have to get back in your heavy chopper. I've got out of the Huey (after turning the engine off), spoke to Nichols, said I will see him at the weekend, presumably to fly the acrobatics I practiced, and then walked back to my chopper. Can't get in. Walked around it, crawled around it, crouched around in first and third person. Tried everything to get back in the chopper. Nothing. My current task is Board your own helicopter. Well I'd happily comply if it was physically possible to do so. This bug seems to come up when I have to get out of one chopper and get back into my original chopper. Its very frustrating. I cannot progress any further now, so I am seriously considering uninstalling Take On. But before I do completely cast this buggy sim to the recycle bin once and for all, I wondered if anyone else has come across this bug and has a solution. I am patched up to the latest patch. My PC is well within the the requirements(above recommended in fact). I have no other issues with Take On running, loading, or any issues with ARMA 2 or Hinds. I am massively disappointed. Oh I have also retried the mission several times. Restarted the game trying various different save points. Completely reverted to the start and replayed the whole career up to this point (which was slightly annoying). I am at a loss. PLEASE HELP.

Edited:

I am not sure exactly how to tag this as solved but I have found a solution. I guess it's my fault for not knowing that to enter the heavy chopper you need to go round to the left side of the chopper and open the main sliding door. Then you have the option to enter as pilot. I would like to add that whilst this is partly my fault for not knowing this, the reason is mainly down to the fact that in real life I haven't entered many heavy choppers so was unaware of this. I can't find any reference to this in the manual but please correct me if I am wrong. Anyway, glad I have got it sorted, but still a bit miffed that it took so long to find out what is basically a very simple solution and could be illustrated a little easier in-game.

Edited by conanliquid
Solved

You got there in the end - that's the main thing. If it's any consolation, I so rarely fly the heavies in this game that when I do I always forget how to get in! There should be an achievement for it ;-)

Haha yes I totally agree.

---------- Post added at 09:45 ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 ----------

I hope this thread helps someone in the same boat ( or helicopter I should say ) at some point.

I'm still having trouble getting in the heavy chopper in one particular mission ('The hand that feeds'). I posted a video here on YouTube: watch?v=3SLwPzfnzOQ

I think it's a bug. I've circled this chopper heaps of times, but still can't get in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Your YouTube link is not complete/broken! -

Anyhow, Heavy Helicopters don't have a 'Pilot/CoPilot' door. You have have to enter them from the rear cargo door; just aft of the pilot seat, before the rear landing gear. Stand next to the helicopter, just behind the pilot's seat by the rear door, hold your 'ALT' key down, and look for the 'steering wheel', icon. The pilot then walks to the front and takes his place at the controls.

Hope that helps! ;-)

*** EDIT ***

This is the correct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SLwPzfnzOQ

It's like using the toilet: Stand closer it's shorter than you think! LOL! :yay:

At time 00:13 you are right there, just move closer to that door. You are too far back...

Edited by Sven2157

bah.... not sure why i bought this game. i'm having the same problem in a medium chopper in the demo while i wait for the rediculously slow download of the full version. even holding alt, all i see on the chopper is 6 icons. all of which are opening/closing door related. one of which is showing up near the top of the chopper behind the rotor assembly... obviously for the door i could open but cant close... did they even play test this game before releasing it?

Look at the door. Press ALT, Use mousewheel. Enjoy.