Sign in to follow this  
^Th0mas^

BIS saids "no comment" instead of just "no" when asked about console game.

I know that you people hate talking about ArmA for consoles, but you said plenty of times that it has been confirmed many times that it will never happen.

In this recent interview BIS saids no comment instead of no when asked. http://nzgamer.com/pc/features/1086/arma-3-developer-interview.html/page-2/

Maybe it means there will be sometime later on?

People have problems with ArmA2 running smooth on hardware which is 10 times that powerful than a console ever will be in the next couple of years.

Now tell me: How the game then shall run on a xbox or playstation with its ancient hardware?

We have such threads now since years and there was no ArmA for consoles, there's also no ArmA2 for them and most probably there never will be any ArmA for consoles. No matter how many threads are started. :)

Console? - not enough buttons =)

They said 'no comment' instead of 'consoles are so rubbish they'd all melt before they could run Arma 3 in any meaningful way unless we make the maps 200m squared with a limit of 20 ai max and no vehicles.'

They said 'no comment' instead of 'consoles are so rubbish they'd all melt before they could run Arma 3 in any meaningful way unless we make the maps 200m squared with a limit of 20 ai max and no vehicles.'

Yeah, just look at operation flashpoint for console =/

I didnt say that ArmA would be released on either Xbox 360 or PS3 because I know that the hardware on both those two are ancient. But there has been lots of rumours about the next gen consoles over the last few months, and I think Microsoft isnt to far from anouncing a new console with hardware that is up to this date. And with the "no comment" I was thinking, why not next gen consoles?

They're probably just prototyping something if anything.

If anything next generation XBOX and PS if their specs are somewhat good.

Console? - not enough buttons =)

agree with this since console has limited button, it will make different experience gaming compared to PC version. In console we can't add mod and unable to use Teamspeak :D . Even though next generation console power will be able to handle ArmA III with lowered quality than it's PC counterpart :)

How can we know, we still know nothing about these next gen consoles :)

That's true, but their capabilities might still not be enough to satisfy A(n)'s requirements for smooth gameplay because every time a new title is released PC hardware advances in parallell, too. Tons of questions and potential "NOs" rises when you think about the possibilities.

Now that my PC is four years old it's probably down around console price level. Maybe we can look forward to their next gen being comparable to what I have now.

Hopefully BIS won't waste time and resources for kiddy console junk. Let those kiddies play cod and all that button mash crap on their consoles.

Hopefully BIS won't waste time and resources for kiddy console junk. Let those kiddies play cod and all that button mash crap on their consoles.

Whoa. Did consoles take your job and girlfriend? :eek:

I actually believe that next gen consols might be able to handle a game like Arma 3, but with limitations like max ai and object count. And regarding the "a console controller dont have enough buttons", sure we might not have the free look and salute or sit down button, but if mapped right i think you could squeze in most of the important group commands.

Sure thats even their office? Its even a old version of the Xbox 360 they got there.

And the Operation Flashpoint games thats already released for Xbox is a damn rip off. Just stole a good name, thats it.

I actually believe that next gen consols might be able to handle a game like Arma 3, but with limitations like max ai and object count. And regarding the "a console controller dont have enough buttons", sure we might not have the free look and salute or sit down button, but if mapped right i think you could squeze in most of the important group commands.

I'm sorry but the game cannot be released without a dedicated salute button.

If you want to turn your console into a pile of sludge then I'm sure it's a great idea. Otherwise? Not so much.

If the next generation(s) of consoles are capable of playing Arma then I don't see why not. You can only currently disregard them because of their capabilities - if that changes then why not indeed?

Sure thats even their office? Its even a old version of the Xbox 360 they got there.

And the Operation Flashpoint games thats already released for Xbox is a damn rip off. Just stole a good name, thats it.

I work in that very room. :p

I think the earlier reference to Flashpoint on consoles was about Operation Flashpoint: Elite for Xbox.

Looks like the interview was already over. Easy to say 'no comment' when the line is dead.

BIS didn't say anything. No comment was BIS keeping silent.

And yeah - what would they say? Consoles suck, not enough buttons, shit unresponsive controls, hardware so ancient it will turn to dust the moment you touch it? They want to release more console friendly Carrier Command as a multiplatform, pulling Christian Allen won't help the business.

Besides BIS said multiple times what they think about ArmA and consoles (read above lol) except in a polite way before they announced CC.

I think OFP:Elite is a good example how they will have to butcher ArmA to get it playable there (hint: look at gamepad button maps in biki) even if console hardware handled it.

Edited by metalcraze

Maybe next gen consoles will just play pc games as easy as pc's do

Valves new console The stream box

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/2/2840932/exclusive-valve-steam-box-gaming-console

"We're told that the basic specs of the Steam Box include a Core i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU. The devices will be able to run any standard PC titles, and will also allow for rival gaming services (like EA's Origin) to be loaded up."

"We're hearing that a wide variety of USB peripherals will be compatible with the boxes, though it will likely ship with a proprietary controller. It's possible that the controller will even allow for swappable components, meaning that it can be reconfigured depending on the type of game you're playing"

Edited by Polecat.uk

You forget about controls. Performance is not the reason console games are so simple and poor on features.

Besides why do you want it on consoles if you can play it on PC?