Sign in to follow this  
Feint

RQ-11 Raven A

The unit object becomes invalid and when you poll getPos on an invalid unit it just returns the bottom left of the map. The global script variables are still ok but the _caller object in the raven script is invalid and setVariables set on the unit are gone. setVariables on the raven would be saved however

Here is the workaround i came up with in mavLaunch.sqf

private["_lastCallerPos"];
               _lastCallerPos = getPos _caller;
               while {(alive _caller) and (alive _microAirVehicle)} do
               {

// NW
                       _mavCurrentHeight = mavCurrentHeight;
                       _microAirVehicle camSetTarget getMarkerPos mavCurrentTarget;
                       _microAirVehicle camSetRelPos [(39 * radiusMultiplier), (39 * radiusMultiplier), _mavCurrentHeight];
                       if ((!isNil{_caller getVariable "birdRecall"}) or (!alive _caller) or (_caller getVariable "ravenBatteryLevel" <=0)) exitWith {};
                       sleep (3 * radiusMultiplier);

// NORTH
                       _microAirVehicle camSetRelPos [0, (55 * radiusMultiplier), _mavCurrentHeight];
                       if ((!isNil{_caller getVariable "birdRecall"}) or (!alive _caller) or (_caller getVariable "ravenBatteryLevel" <=0)) exitWith {};

// SW
                       _microAirVehicle camSetRelPos [(-39 * radiusMultiplier), (39 * radiusMultiplier), _mavCurrentHeight];

// SOUTH
                       _microAirVehicle camSetRelPos [(-55 * radiusMultiplier), 0, _mavCurrentHeight];

// SE
                       _microAirVehicle camSetRelPos [(-39 * radiusMultiplier), (-39 * radiusMultiplier), _mavCurrentHeight];

// EAST
                       _microAirVehicle camSetRelPos [0, (-55 * radiusMultiplier), _mavCurrentHeight];

// NE
                       _microAirVehicle camSetRelPos [(39 * radiusMultiplier), (-39 * radiusMultiplier), _mavCurrentHeight];

// NORTH
                       _microAirVehicle camSetRelPos [(55 * radiusMultiplier), 0, _mavCurrentHeight];

};

while {alive _microAirVehicle} do
               {
                       if (alive _caller) then {
                                       _microAirVehicle camSetTarget _caller;
                                       _microAirVehicle camSetRelPos [0, 5, 2];
                                       if ((_caller distance _microAirVehicle) < 14)   exitWith {};
                       } else {
                                       _microAirVehicle camSetTarget _lastCallerPos;
                                       _microAirVehicle camSetRelPos [0, 5, 2];
                                       if ((_lastCallerPos distance _microAirVehicle) < 14)   exitWith {};
                       };
               };

for the disconnect problem maybe you can make another baseball object like with the strobe that is nocollide, add a public setVariable to it which defines it as a raven info object and the owners name and have all clients hideObject it with a loop. When a player launches a raven their scripts then keep setVariables on their baseball object containing all of the necessary variables to control their raven such as map marker names and a reference to the plane object. Every so often clients check baseballs to see if their associated clients are there and if not, use the stored information to at least delete the raven and its markers. Once the raven and its markers are removed the baseball for the disconnected client is deleted.

Good idea. Question: If the original _caller dies and then respawns, would a query like, (alive _caller) return yes or no, or would it return nil or null or any or something if the _caller no longer exists or has respawned? Thanks for the code. Looks good.

For the disconnect problem, if the player disconnects, how could I get a script to run? Which client would run it? Or would the server run it? In other words, even if the command is simple enough as deleting the Raven and map markers, that has to be done with a script. I guess I just don't know how to get a server or another client to execute a script when the original client disconnects.

Hey, its HR J. King from 15thMEU (SOC) Realism Unit.

First and foremost this is a really great mod and is really amazing to say the least. Over the past week or so we have been testing the Raven for potential use within the unit. (We use ACE and ACRE for our missions) We have however noticed some bugs which we would very much love for you to look at.

- Relationship between RQ-11 and ACE backpack system. We have been using a backpack fix for pre OA units but we have still had our problems.

- Some Force Recon units eg Corpsman Slot/O'Hara are unable to pick up backpacks out right.

- Only gear and drop works for transporting it with vehicles.

- I see your working on the player disconnect while using it area so Ill leave that one out ;).

- Sometimes it doesn't show on your back even with a fix eg FR Assault class skins.

- Also maybe you could look at operating the Raven from inside a vehicle too? Something to look at, would be a nice touch.

Edit: - And another possible idea is to have an option to unlock to a panning camera, so you can look around instead of it being fixed when you require it.

Thanks and hope you reply soon,

HR J. King

Edited by JKing

Good idea. Question: If the original _caller dies and then respawns, would a query like, (alive _caller) return yes or no, or would it return nil or null or any or something if the _caller no longer exists or has respawned? Thanks for the code. Looks good.

For the disconnect problem, if the player disconnects, how could I get a script to run? Which client would run it? Or would the server run it? In other words, even if the command is simple enough as deleting the Raven and map markers, that has to be done with a script. I guess I just don't know how to get a server or another client to execute a script when the original client disconnects.

Im not sure what the alive query would do at that time. The idea for the disconnects would be to have an object which can be found using listObjects or vehicles or some other finder function that has a copy of the ravens variables. If a player disconnects then other players scripts can cleanup after them using the copies of these variables

Also i have a script which can be used to allow compatability with the ACE On-Back system. It wont allow you to place it in backpacks but allows you to use it with the On-Back slot

Finnaly, you should change the Range Ring and Target Marker to be Local markers. Only the player deploying a particular raven needs to see these markers

Also i have a script which can be used to allow compatability with the ACE On-Back system. It wont allow you to place it in backpacks but allows you to use it with the On-Back slot

I've have tried that and it works most of the time but for some units it doesn't like the USMC FR Assault Classes. And as in my above post some specific FR units cant even pickup the backpacks.

This mod is the only thing i know of to make it work with other units. I am not sure why those other units would still not be able to pick them up

The raven backpack inherits everything from the standard vanilla UAV backpack. USMC FR units are pre-backpack, which I think you all understand at this point. If there's a script out there that allows for OA backpacks to be placed on the backs of pre-OA units, perhaps it's calling only vanilla classnames or something. I have no idea. But I would approach whomever made that script and see if they can update it to work with the Raven backpack. I can't really change anything about the Raven backpack to enable that script to start working correctly. If I'm wrong about that, I'd appreciate being enlightened with specific code to fix the problem.

Regarding the ACE on-back system, no thank you. My intention from the start has been to make this more on the realistic side. Even though that limits some of the potential usability, that's how the Raven A is. There's no "carrying on the back" functionality of the real Raven A, so I'm not going to pursue that. If you want to carry it on your back, disassemble it and carry it as a backpack. In real life, the Raven is pretty bulky and requires a stand with transceivers and a pretty large carrying case. I've already violated that part of the realism by allowing just a single unit to carry all of it. I don't want to violate the realism further by enabling carrying the Raven AND a backpack at the same time. But thanks for offering.

Similarly, I will NOT be making a camera that can be aimed. I've had a lot of people requesting that here, in youtube comments and via PM, but the answer was no and will remain no. Sorry. The only way I'll change that is if I build the Raven B variant which at this point I have no plans to do.

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Hey, its HR J. King from 15thMEU (SOC) Realism Unit.

First and foremost this is a really great mod and is really amazing to say the least. Over the past week or so we have been testing the Raven for potential use within the unit. (We use ACE and ACRE for our missions) We have however noticed some bugs which we would very much love for you to look at.

- Relationship between RQ-11 and ACE backpack system. We have been using a backpack fix for pre OA units but we have still had our problems.

- Some Force Recon units eg Corpsman Slot/O'Hara are unable to pick up backpacks out right.

- Only gear and drop works for transporting it with vehicles.

- I see your working on the player disconnect while using it area so Ill leave that one out ;).

- Sometimes it doesn't show on your back even with a fix eg FR Assault class skins.

- Also maybe you could look at operating the Raven from inside a vehicle too? Something to look at, would be a nice touch.

Edit: - And another possible idea is to have an option to unlock to a panning camera, so you can look around instead of it being fixed when you require it.

Thanks and hope you reply soon,

HR J. King

Thanks for your interest. I've seen cool videos of your games and played on your servers a year or two ago and had a lot of fun at the time flying around as a pilot on taxi duty.

In direct answer to your questions:

-please see previous comment regarding backpacks and pre-OA units.

-I don't see "gear" and "drop" as being a bug or any bad ways to interact with the backpack. To me, that's standard vanilla backpack interaction. If you are using a 3rd party script which enables other functionality, I would say contact the makers of those scripts for adding in the Raven backpack. But I could be misreading your comment. Please feel free to clarify if I'm missing your point.

-Again, see previous comments regarding backpacks and pre-OA units. I've seen other addons which enable pre-OA units to use the backpacks, and they aren't able to show the backpacks on the back, thought they do show up in the gear menu. This is due to the pre-OA units not having the correct proxies in their models to properly display the backpacks. If ACE has figured out a way to display backpacks on pre-OA units, that's great. Talk to the ACE people about any incompatibilities with 3rd party backpacks and maybe they will have a fix.

-operating the Raven from inside a vehicle used to be possible in my earlier implementation, but I've had to make certain choices in development which made that impossible. The main limitation is that when inside of vehicles, the addActions which exist on a unit are automatically hidden by the game. Until this "auto hiding" is disabled or there's a workaround, using this addon inside a vehicle is impossible. I am open to ideas though.

-The camera functionality will not be changed as enabling some kind of panning camera would be unrealistic in the Raven A variant. The existing functionality in this addon is a bit of a compromise because of the limitations of the game already and I don't wish to degrade the realism any further. At the moment, I have no plans to make the Raven B, but that could change in the future. For now though, this addon's camera functionality will stay the way it is now.

Edited by Feint

Great release guys ! Uploaded to server and runs great ! My boys are having a blast reconning objectives before assaulting :-)

One thing I would like to see is the ability to include this in an ammobox .. is this possible ? Nothing wrong with having them on the ground

but would be nice to make it part of our Rucksack necessities for those troops willing to carry her into battle :-)

Thanks for your interest. I've seen cool videos of your games and played on your servers a year or two ago and had a lot of fun at the time flying around as a pilot on taxi duty.

In direct answer to your questions:

-please see previous comment regarding backpacks and pre-OA units.

No problem, wasn't sure how it all worked.

-I don't see "gear" and "drop" as being a bug or any bad ways to interact with the backpack. To me, that's standard vanilla backpack interaction. If you are using a 3rd party script which enables other functionality, I would say contact the makers of those scripts for adding in the Raven backpack. But I could be misreading your comment. Please feel free to clarify if I'm missing your point.

The reason why I said this was gear and drop is fine just some FR Units didnt allow the raven to be picked up at all and the only way for that person to get it into a vehicle was the ACE carry and store method which bugged it. But how it is now is perfectly sufficient for our needs.

-Again, see previous comments regarding backpacks and pre-OA units. I've seen other addons which enable pre-OA units to use the backpacks, and they aren't able to show the backpacks on the back, thought they do show up in the gear menu. This is due to the pre-OA units not having the correct proxies in their models to properly display the backpacks. If ACE has figured out a way to display backpacks on pre-OA units, that's great. Talk to the ACE people about any incompatibilities with 3rd party backpacks and maybe they will have a fix.

Again thats fine it was more about the compatibility issues with ACRE manpacks and aesthetics.

-operating the Raven from inside a vehicle used to be possible in my earlier implementation, but I've had to make certain choices in development which made that impossible. The main limitation is that when inside of vehicles, the addActions which exist on a unit are automatically hidden by the game. Until this "auto hiding" is disabled or there's a workaround, using this addon inside a vehicle is impossible. I am open to ideas though.

Thats fine, just food for thought, we would love to see if it is possible and would be great for someone to find you a solution.

-The camera functionality will not be changed as enabling some kind of panning camera would be unrealistic in the Raven A variant. The existing functionality in this addon is a bit of a compromise because of the limitations of the game already and I don't wish to degrade the realism any further. At the moment, I have no plans to make the Raven B, but that could change in the future. For now though, this addon's camera functionality will stay the way it is now.

I understand your devotion to realism and really respect that (I didnt know about the backpack thing, xD) however as we are a Marine Realism Unit and the Raven A is no longer in production it would be really great if you could use your current mod and add a seperate DL for a panning camera because a lot of guys in the unit would prefer that. Even if it was something seperate for us we would be very grateful and hope you will consider it. We are continuing the testing process and will send any more bugs we find your way. Thanks for the response.

Regarding the ACE on-back system, no thank you. My intention from the start has been to make this more on the realistic side. Even though that limits some of the potential usability, that's how the Raven A is. There's no "carrying on the back" functionality of the real Raven A, so I'm not going to pursue that. If you want to carry it on your back, disassemble it and carry it as a backpack. In real life, the Raven is pretty bulky and requires a stand with transceivers and a pretty large carrying case. I've already violated that part of the realism by allowing just a single unit to carry all of it. I don't want to violate the realism further by enabling carrying the Raven AND a backpack at the same time. But thanks for offering.

To clarify, the ACE On-Back script i made is for the backpack, not the assembled raven. It is to allow moving the raven backpack into the extra backpack slot ACE adds (shown underneath the Secondary/Launcher slot in the gear screen). In its current state the backpack is not compatible because it is an OA backpack and not an ACE Weapon-Based Backpack. In fact, you can put an ace backpack on your back, put a raven into your secondary slot, and then move the ace backpack to your secondary slot and they would both occupy the same spot at the same time. The script i offer uses a setVariable on the player and a Weapon-based backpack to allow the on-back functionality. When in the secondary slot the current backpack is used the way it currently is used. When you try to move something from your back to secondary or use the action menu entry to put the raven on back, it saves the battery state from the raven backpack to a setVariable on the unit and then replaces it with a weapon-based backpack. Once the raven backpack is moved back to the secondary slot it is replaced with the current backpack again and the battery level is transferred to the backpacks setVariable. The main use for such a thing is to allow players using the ACRE mod to carry a Raven backpack and be able to use the AN/PRC-117F without having to deal with both items occupying the same slot (and potentially confusing them)

For the vehicle usage of the raven the only solution currently available is to add the ravens control actions to the ACE Self-Interact menu or to add your own key combo which opens a similar type of menu

@JKing The built-in ArmA 2 behavior is to not allow medics to carry backpacks

Great release guys ! Uploaded to server and runs great ! My boys are having a blast reconning objectives before assaulting :-)

One thing I would like to see is the ability to include this in an ammobox .. is this possible ? Nothing wrong with having them on the ground

but would be nice to make it part of our Rucksack necessities for those troops willing to carry her into battle :-)

See http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addBackpackCargo

Edited by gmt2001

Where can I get this script? This is perfect because we use those radio's a lot.

And FEINT, is there a way of making it an ace self interaction menu or does ACE have to approve that?

Still wondering about a seperate DL for panning camera too.

Thanks! xD

The main use for such a thing is to allow players using the ACRE mod to carry a Raven backpack and be able to use the AN/PRC-117F without having to deal with both items occupying the same slot (and potentially confusing them)

I think if you want to stick with realism, no single unit should be able to carry the weight and bulk of both the Raven system and the AN/PRC-117F radio as both are quite bulky in real life. Those duties should be divided up in my opinion. Thanks for clarifying though. I believe I understand what you are asking now.

---------- Post added at 22:13 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

And FEINT, is there a way of making it an ace self interaction menu or does ACE have to approve that?

Still wondering about a seperate DL for panning camera too.

Thanks! xD

I'm thinking about the ACE self-interaction menu.

Negative on the special separate download for a movable camera. I appreciate what you are asking but the answer is no for now.

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

As gmt2001 mentioned, you can use addBackpackCargo or addBackpackCargoGlobal to add the backpack to an existing ammo crate.

I'm glad you are enjoying the Raven. :)

Ah well thats sad to hear, hope you make a B Variant at some point as that would be more realistic. Hell even Pakistan has B Variants from the US lol. Thanks anyway.

Feint I just want to say Thanks for the RQ-11 and thank god you took into consideration an Escape key besides esc.

My Esc key has been broken in Arma2 due to a clash with Windows 7 ATI drivers and my Keyboard. So I cant use escape key.

When I saw that I could use "G" I was like Thank you so much ,now I can actually use this without having to Cntrl -Alt -Delete or alt-tab and leave game.

Excellent work as always my friend. I cant help but be reminded of my Fire bird XL when I see this little fella.

http://www.hobbyzonerc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=HBZ2000

Edited by Eaglezero6205

I think if you want to stick with realism, no single unit should be able to carry the weight and bulk of both the Raven system and the AN/PRC-117F radio as both are quite bulky in real life. Those duties should be divided up in my opinion. Thanks for clarifying though. I believe I understand what you are asking now.

---------- Post added at 22:13 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

I'm thinking about the ACE self-interaction menu.

Negative on the special separate download for a movable camera. I appreciate what you are asking but the answer is no for now.

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

As gmt2001 mentioned, you can use addBackpackCargo or addBackpackCargoGlobal to add the backpack to an existing ammo crate.

I'm glad you are enjoying the Raven. :)

I see what your saying about someone carrying both the 117 and the raven. My final note on the matter is that if desired my compatibility script can be made as a completely separate pbo that the user can install if s/he wishes so that the user has the choice and so that it doesn't make ACE a required addon for the rest of the addon.

If you want to go the ACE Self-Interaction menu route i can help you with it but doing so properly would require adding ACE as a required addon and thus should, if possible be done as a separate PBO. You could avoid this by making your own similar type menu with a different keyboard shortcut. The ace self-interaction menu is actually made using a feature of CBA so by making your own menu you will only need to make CBA a required addon.

Ah well thats sad to hear, hope you make a B Variant at some point as that would be more realistic. Hell even Pakistan has B Variants from the US lol. Thanks anyway.

I have many family members who were USMC, no longer with us, veterans of many conflicts around the world and at home. I would like nothing more than to supply the Marines, even the virtual ones, all the tools they need to accomplish their mission. Given an infinite amount of time and resources, I would do just that.

Feint I just want to say Thanks for the RQ-11 and thank god you took into consideration an Escape key besides esc.

My Esc key has been broken in Arma2 due to a clash with Windows 7 ATI drivers and my Keyboard. So I cant use escape key.

When I saw that I could use "G" I was like Thank you so much ,now I can actually use this without having to Cntrl -Alt -Delete or alt-tab and leave game.

Excellent work as always my friend. I cant help but be reminded of my Fire bird XL when I see this little fella.

http://www.hobbyzonerc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=HBZ2000

Thanks, sir. Glad you are enjoying it and sorry you are having keyboard issues. I've read killing the process for the Catalyst Control Center helps fix the problem. Fire bird XL looks like fun.

I see what your saying about someone carrying both the 117 and the raven. My final note on the matter is that if desired my compatibility script can be made as a completely separate pbo that the user can install if s/he wishes so that the user has the choice and so that it doesn't make ACE a required addon for the rest of the addon.

If you want to go the ACE Self-Interaction menu route i can help you with it but doing so properly would require adding ACE as a required addon and thus should, if possible be done as a separate PBO. You could avoid this by making your own similar type menu with a different keyboard shortcut. The ace self-interaction menu is actually made using a feature of CBA so by making your own menu you will only need to make CBA a required addon.

CBA is already req'd. I think I know the function you are referring to. Considering.

Edited by Feint

Thanks for one of the most useful addons, it sure is helpful in warfare scouting town.

On the note about the ACE interaction menu, the menu is actually from CBA. If you would like I could either PM or post the configs I use for my heli extras addon to integrate it to the ace self interaction menus

Fredkatz, I was just about to post ref your addon, which isnt ACE dependent and CBA/ACE detect.

Great input will be good to see the same as yours, its a nifty feature and slots in tidy (ref the ACE menu detection and options).

It would work for both worlds, In the ACE self-interaction menu OR a separate menu - The only problem might be having to set a key to open the menu outside of ACE

The menu also works inside vehicles which would help solve the using the raven inside of vehicles that many people have asked for.

Maybe expand into a AE Puma? if you haven't come across it already its essentally a larger brother of the raven with a rotating camera and longer range/endurance.

Maybe expand into a AE Puma? if you haven't come across it already its essentally a larger brother of the raven with a rotating camera and longer range/endurance.

If you want to get technical about it all, each system now up to the T-Hawk (Or MAV as most BF3 players will know it) has a gimbled payload available to it. The AE Puma and the newest Wasp (Which is just now getting going under the Army) have them and the Raven-B DDL has one as an available payload. Unfortunately the good old USMC is a bit slow on the uptake for the Raven upgrades so expect Side/Nose cam on them for awhile OCONUS and in training.

If you want to get past the technical issues behind carrying a 117/119 etc and a UAS at the same time, create a WASP mod. IRL you could carry both with ease.

I would love to see an AE Puma make it into the game with a 360' camera setup.

Aside from that, this Raven is gorgeous man.

JKing: The only thing not realistic about this Raven model is, and for obvious reasons, the video feed while in transit from one point to the next and B: The height limits.. Even the Analog systems could surpass 150m MSL with ease.

Cant pick up the backpack at all to put on back when you place none interactive objects down in the editor like Fence and shelf. I can pick it up just fine as long as there is nothing else on the map but when i place something down i lose the ability to pick it up. Its debilitating for use of the mod. Also ability to pick up the backpack does not work on dedicated server with ACE.

Edited by Cytreen

Cant pick up the backpack at all to put on back when you place none interactive objects down in the editor like Fence and shelf. I can pick it up just fine as long as there is nothing else on the map but when i place something down i lose the ability to pick it up. Its debilitating for use of the mod. Also ability to pick up the backpack does not work on dedicated server with ACE.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce the problem you describe using backpack-enabled units. See if you are able to pick up other backpacks, like place a BIS backpack next to the RQ-11 backpack. See if you can pick up one but not the other and report back, please.

Sense patch 1.62 i have not had the problem but i will stay on the lookout. Really like the mod so far. Thanks for making it.