Sign in to follow this  
Feint

RQ-11 Raven A

I was complaining about having something like this, then I saw ArmA 3 would have it and then found this mod. Great work on it, my only complaint/request would be to add a free looking camera (atleast a little movement) so you don't have to be so precise on the map in order to check out a particular individual.

very nice! great work man!

But eh, found some issues when reverting to savegames which contains used Raven (not the unused one), search through the log file and find these things.

Addon microairvehicles (entry MAV_RQ11RAVEN_STATIC) not found in the list of active addons.
Addon microairvehicles (entry MAV_RQ11MONITOR) not found in the list of active addons.
Warning Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.
microairvehicles
Error in expression <
if ((_caller getVariable "birdRecall") == 1) then {_microAirVehicleCam camPrepa>
 Error position: <== 1) then {_microAirVehicleCam camPrepa>
 Error Generic error in expression
File raven\scripts\mavCameraOn2.sqf, line 303

Not sure if this is a MCC question or an RQ-11 question... but since this is your mod, I'll consider you the expert and ask here.

Is this "object" placeable with something like MCC? I am looking through the items lists in game but do not see any reference to it which leads me to believe that it is not.

Also, is it possible to implement vip strobE functionality to the camera. That would add a lot to target differentiation.

Just a quick follow up.... when cycling through the vision modes, when NV becomes active, I see two flashes from the strobe I have dropped, but then nothing. Cycle through all the vision modes again and then when NV is active, two more flashes and then nothing. Glow sticks are visible all the time.

Edited by lawndartleo
additional question

Hello, First this is a sick mod, fun to play with. congrats! also not directing this at feint as it may not be his fault/problem, but does any one use TF86 seal addon and not able to pick up rucksack but still get the option to assemble? is there a fix? or do i go find a different mod? many thanks

Hello, First this is a sick mod, fun to play with. congrats! also not directing this at feint as it may not be his fault/problem, but does any one use TF86 seal addon and not able to pick up rucksack but still get the option to assemble? is there a fix? or do i go find a different mod? many thanks

Did you try with the new one (TF86temp)? It works fine.

There's a mod floating out there that allows pre-OA units to be able to use OA-type backpacks. Note the backpack won't actually show up on the model though, but it's at least usable by the original TF86 units.

thanks gents, i using TF86 1.2 it may be an ace conflict idk, now i have i idea where to look i know i sort something out, thanks again.

Hellow,

I have been using the Raven for a few days now, and I love it, I've gotten to know the controls a little better.

But now my question is,

Is it possible that manual flight can be engaged by the click of a button, and just set it for aircraft controls?

Or is that in the schedule to be implemented, I would love to be able to control the camera unit of the raven myself and have a crosshair for accuratelly putting down markers for my team mates.

Dearest regards, and thank you for the mod!

Snow

Any chance we can get a higher quality image of the little pocket guide? The text on the image is way to small to read. Would be great for making a in-game guide, or a pdf which can also be printed so folks can make a little booklet themselves.

Hi,

we've been seeing some crash issues when using this mod. Unfortunately, it's nigh-impossible to track down. No RPT errors appear - the client crashes completely. All I can share is the following observations:

- it only happens sometimes

- it even happens on missions that don't have any raven backpacks active. just loading the CfgPatches is enough

- when it happens, there's usually some major lag involved when the raven lands on all clients. Shortly after, there's some error either server- or clientside about "baseball.p3d having old nodes" (never saw the error myself)

- it only affects some clients (i'm unaffected), but then fairly consistently within half an hour of playing

- at one time, the server ate all of 32bit address space within a few minutes and promptly gave up on alloc

All this leads me to believe there's some problem with the modelling. I dug through the code and couldn't find anything that would indicate such massive memleaks.

As I said, it's near impossible for us to track this down. It seems to only happen if a certain amount of players is present, and we don't have a playerbase with enough patience to test this, especially with the modset we're using otherwise (ACE and some custom addons, none of which ever produced any problems).

Sorry for giving such a useless bug report. :)

Edited by niv

This was the reason of removing the great raven off our mod-preset.

When we used the raven every time we played some longer mission clients get dropped for no reason.

Hi niv and Outlaw. I made the Raven model. There is no "baseball.p3d". Maybe Feint used the BI one as a placeholder for creating something, don´t know anything about the scripted part :o

I've tried meanwhile to repro the problem, with very limited success. One small observation re: baseball.p3d: Just before the client crash (when the raven landed), I saw the baseball model warping up/down inside the raven model very fast (like, every frame), as if it had problems finding a stable physics position. Not sure what the meaning of that was.

I've tried meanwhile to repro the problem, with very limited success. One small observation re: baseball.p3d: Just before the client crash (when the raven landed), I saw the baseball model warping up/down inside the raven model very fast (like, every frame), as if it had problems finding a stable physics position. Not sure what the meaning of that was.

We were using 5 raven at the same time in our training/boot-camp and the dropping of clients appear faster than in a normal mission and we found out that it only happens when the raven lands. that was the point when we stop using it and were sure about that this was a raven caused problem. Maybe Feint can try this out.

We've had clients crash out of missions that didn't have any ravens placed, or the pboprefix required in their addonlist. So apparently, just loading CfgPatches is enough to generate crashes, even though that may be a different issue?

Apparently, mostly NVIDIA cards are affected. Our ATI users I've spoken to didn't have those issues.

Hi niv and Outlaw. I made the Raven model. There is no "baseball.p3d". Maybe Feint used the BI one as a placeholder for creating something, don´t know anything about the scripted part :o

baseball.p3d is used as the hidden object to which the "#lightpoint" vehicle is attached which thus defines the position from which the flashing locator strobe emanates

We were using 5 raven at the same time in our training/boot-camp and the dropping of clients appear faster than in a normal mission and we found out that it only happens when the raven lands. that was the point when we stop using it and were sure about that this was a raven caused problem. Maybe Feint can try this out.

This could be something related to the many things that occur when the raven gets within 14 units of the landing position which consist of the following in order:

-The sound antiTamper is played

-The static raven is created and then set to the current position, bearing, and velocity of the flying raven (The flying raven is represented by a different object than the non-flying one due to the way the game works)

-The flying raven is deleted

-The battery level is transferred from the player to the static raven

-The message indicating the landing coordinates is sent to the players chat

-The sound watchBeep_off is played

-The players actions for controlling the raven are removed from the action menu

-The locator beacon script is launched

-Some tracking variables are cleared

-The map marker for the raven is deleted

If any sort of errors get placed in the rpt file when this occurs it might help nail it down, otherwise it would take trial and error on someone who consistently gets the drop. Considering the number of steps that happen here that must be synchronized though, it may be causing some kind of network problem even though it seems like a really low number of items

Edited by gmt2001

I know it's not related to the landing intrinsics specifically. We saw crashes on clients in missions which don't spawn ravens: loading the CfgPatches (pbo) is enough to produce that particular issue for people. Unfortunately, I don't really have the expertise regarding modelling on testing this. I had a look over the scripts but haven't found anything that might explain this.

Also, I don't have any rpt entries. I asked around, but none of the affected people still have the RPT files. If I manage to grab some, I'll post them of course, but since I can't exactly bother poeople with this during our gaming sessions and I can't test it myself (since I'm apparently not affected), I don't see it happening soon.

In that case it cant be related to any of the raven scripts because none of them run until you spawn a backpack. Not sure what else in the mod could cause it

Does anyone know if there's a .bikey for this little guy? I love it but didnt see a bikey for it in the download.

i have a short ask, how can i disable the marker on the map? It is visible to all factions. Thats a little bit bad because enemy player can see our drone.

thanks for help!

That would require a change to the mod itself or another mod which overrides it. The markers were originally setup in a way which favors Single Player or CO-OP missions

Edited by gmt2001

I updated to version 1.6. Merry Christmas everyone. Check the first post in this thread for the new download location.

VERSION 1.6

-CHANGED: Removed locked standing animation when "holding" the GCS (restored ability to crouch and go prone while viewing camera feed

-REMOVED: Ground scanning radar (entity revealing)

-CHANGED: Made new target range marker local instead of global

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 ----------

Is it possible that manual flight can be engaged by the click of a button, and just set it for aircraft controls?

Or is that in the schedule to be implemented, I would love to be able to control the camera unit of the raven myself and have a crosshair for accuratelly putting down markers for my team mates.

Short answer, no manual flight control is planned to be implemented. Long answer: The way the airplane flies is somewhat like directing a bird or a camera. I set a point for it to go to and it goes there. So in order to fly the bird manually, I would have to create a method of setting waypoints very quickly right out in front of the bird. It would be a timing nightmare. If I ever make a helicopter MAF, I think I might be able to control it manually. We'll see.

Not sure if this is a MCC question or an RQ-11 question... but since this is your mod, I'll consider you the expert and ask here.

Is this "object" placeable with something like MCC? I am looking through the items lists in game but do not see any reference to it which leads me to believe that it is not.

Also, is it possible to implement vip strobE functionality to the camera. That would add a lot to target differentiation.

Just a quick follow up.... when cycling through the vision modes, when NV becomes active, I see two flashes from the strobe I have dropped, but then nothing. Cycle through all the vision modes again and then when NV is active, two more flashes and then nothing. Glow sticks are visible all the time.

MCC, I don't know what that is. So you will have to ask them.

VIP strobe issues? I don't know what's causing those problems. I suspect that they are being caused by the effects I'm applying to the camera views to make them more realistic looking (static and what not). I'll do a test and see if I can duplicate the problem.

But eh, found some issues when reverting to savegames which contains used Raven (not the unused one), search through the log file and find these things.

Addon microairvehicles (entry MAV_RQ11RAVEN_STATIC) not found in the list of active addons.

Addon microairvehicles (entry MAV_RQ11MONITOR) not found in the list of active addons.

Warning Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.

microairvehicles

At one point, I changed the way I was organizing the PBOs and folders and stuff. You are probably trying to replay a mission using an older version of this addon. Sorry, the only workaround is to complete the mission using an old version of the addon.

There's a mod floating out there that allows pre-OA units to be able to use OA-type backpacks. Note the backpack won't actually show up on the model though, but it's at least usable by the original TF86 units.

Yes, this resolves most of the issues of people complaining about the backpacks. It doesn't resolve the ACE move to back issue. I'll look at fixing that in a later release.

Any chance we can get a higher quality image of the little pocket guide? The text on the image is way to small to read. Would be great for making a in-game guide, or a pdf which can also be printed so folks can make a little booklet themselves.

Hmm. I've only included a web-resolution PDF in order to keep file sizes down. Remember, you can hit "i" when in the camera to see what the instructions are.

Hi,

we've been seeing some crash issues when using this mod. Unfortunately, it's nigh-impossible to track down. No RPT errors appear - the client crashes completely. All I can share is the following observations:

- it only happens sometimes

- it even happens on missions that don't have any raven backpacks active. just loading the CfgPatches is enough

- when it happens, there's usually some major lag involved when the raven lands on all clients. Shortly after, there's some error either server- or clientside about "baseball.p3d having old nodes" (never saw the error myself)

- it only affects some clients (i'm unaffected), but then fairly consistently within half an hour of playing

- at one time, the server ate all of 32bit address space within a few minutes and promptly gave up on alloc

All this leads me to believe there's some problem with the modelling. I dug through the code and couldn't find anything that would indicate such massive memleaks.

As I said, it's near impossible for us to track this down. It seems to only happen if a certain amount of players is present, and we don't have a playerbase with enough patience to test this, especially with the modset we're using otherwise (ACE and some custom addons, none of which ever produced any problems).

Sorry for giving such a useless bug report. :)

Ug. What a mess. By the way, that's awesome that you were using 5 at a time. Love to see a video of that, except for the crashing part.

Regarding the baseball, the baseball is indeed used for the strobe effect. It appears briefly, the lightpoint appears inside of it, and then the baseball is hidden and then it disappears. I wonder if I deleted it if that would prevent the crashing. Without the baseball, the strobe effect was really not looking good. I could just remove the strobe effect all together. What do you guys think? I'm willing to toss that feature out if it makes the raven less crash-worthy.

Does anyone know if there's a .bikey for this little guy? I love it but didnt see a bikey for it in the download.

Hmm, no one's ever asked me for that. I'll include it in the next release unless you need it sooner. PM me if you do and I'll upload it. I'm not too smart when it comes to digital signature stuff.

i have a short ask, how can i disable the marker on the map? It is visible to all factions. Thats a little bit bad because enemy player can see our drone.

thanks for help!

Ug, lol. I didn't know that the map markers were visible to all factions. That's not how it was written. Version 1.6 removes the "reveal" ground scanning radar. So now the only map markers visible are the raven and the target the raven is looking at. Can you confirm that the map markers are visible to all factions in multiplayer after version 1.6?

Nice to see you working on things again! Anything to help keep it from crashing is IMO worth removing. Perhaps replace with a marker light or somethign similar. And Merry Christmas!