Sign in to follow this  
Feint

RQ-11 Raven A

You can add that line to either the backpack or the static raven.

Or are you asking if there's an easier way to drop the backpack besides going into the Gear Menu?

Edited by Feint

And as a final suggestion to you: Asking for a change to something that someone has worked very hard on almost every night for a month and then comparing their work to an arcade style fps shooter is probably not a good way to get what you want.

Also, my name is Feint, as in the maneuver, not faint as in fainting on the floor.

Then dont do it? It was just a suggestion. A few allready agreed with that suggestion. Dont take it so hard and personal man.. I wasnt comparing your entire work with an arcade shooter, I was comparing the marker thing feature with an arcade shooter.. I did say it was a very nice job you had done, didnt I?

Jesus christ people take stuff personal in here.. :confused_o:

I misread your name, sorry..

Forget everything I said.

/out

Edited by MugAben

I would need to find a way to click inside of a minimap, which I don't think is possible, or I would need to figure out how to get the cursor visible while inside the camera view. Honestly, it's not worth it to me and not close to reality either. In the real Raven GCS, you have to exit the camera view and go to the map screen to select waypoints. (then again the point could be "use mandobles UAV then" .. hehe

I have been getting used to flipping out of cam, go to set target back to map so its no show stopper at all, I just wondered if you were considering the idea mainly. THe only way would probably be through the camera with on map click, or how Mandoble has done it in his UAV script (to navigate), although I see your point to keep it like it is now. (then again the point could be "use mandobles UAV then") .. hehe

The main reason was the fact that if someone is playing "eye in the sky" to direct troop movement on the ground in real time they would just have a quicker way to navigate inside the cam to keep eyes on enemy movement esp vehicles. IE you exit cam make new target when back to cam its changed rotation in that time and to keep eyes on, wheres in cam you can track the movement more in real time for feedback on ground. I guess rather than just location marking using it as a real time track process.

I used it today on a mission where I was over watching a large area and had group units on the ground under high command, and I could direct them more or less to locations I saw the movement, kind of reminded me of police FLIR cam in heli tracking. Very useful for compounds and checking building door ways and heat from windows. I spent time map marking buildings that were occupied, to then control HC teams to locations to clear, and then real time tracked any patrols for ordering any quick changes in movement, a very satisfying time spent in Arma2 :)

Some other points:

The only other thing was just the standing position only for user while watching camera, to switch to the cam and it not effect your stance was the only thing that I found a bit "niggly".

Also on battery recharge, the "recharge" notification that displays on the top right, is there a possibility to show a real-time percentage count bar?

Finally I had the Raven return to me, and packed it up, but once the pack animation finished it did not return to the backpack on the ground, poof! it just disappeared, could not find it (desert) ... I cant reproduce but bear in mind if anyone else has it happen to them (could be rare).

Either way its a real treat to use, and I understand your points about coding reasons and sticking with the reality of it.

Edited by mrcash2009

Request:

Could it be possible that the GPS coordinates and the altitude been marked on map when user want the RQ to spot. This would be very useful for artillery support teamplay.

Thanks

Missions really basic, If you have the pbo loaded just check the readme / doc or place the backpack down as an icon in editor look for "empty" and ravenA backpack .. sorry dont have game loaded to be specific.

OR:

this addBackpackCargo ["MAV_RAVEN_BACKPACK",2]; (for cargo)

this addBackpack MAV_RAVEN_BACKPACK; (For a unit)

In the editor of a unit, drop the ruck then you get options to unpack over the ruck.

When I'm viewing the Raven's camera, it is really laggy. Every few seconds it pauses and continues course; what's weird is my FPS is a steady 35, even during one of the pauses. Is this intentional to simulate lag between the RQ-11 and the viewing device or is there something wrong?

Sorry If i havn't flicked back enough pages for this error, but i get this error everytime i try to launch the provided mission and i cant try this awesome addon! :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/srg_imi/arma2OA2012-05-1322-48-05-81.png (465 kB)

You have the mission installed in the wrong place. Install it in the same place as the place where your missions are saved when you create one in the editor, then open the mission in the editor and preview from there.

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

Also on battery recharge, the "recharge" notification that displays on the top right, is there a possibility to show a real-time percentage count bar?

Finally I had the Raven return to me, and packed it up, but once the pack animation finished it did not return to the backpack on the ground, poof! it just disappeared, could not find it (desert) ... I cant reproduce but bear in mind if anyone else has it happen to them (could be rare).

For realtime updates on the recharging, hold the Raven. This is to simulate real world battery recharging. If you are looking at the charger, you'd see the progress. Otherwise, if you left the Raven alone, you wouldn't see the progress. It alerts you when the charge is complete with an on-screen display.

The disappearing backpack issue has been fixed. Make sure you're using the latest version 1.51. Last time, I posted version 1.5 and then found out about the backpack issue a few minutes later (from a comment on the news release on armaholic). So I fixed that as it only took 2 minutes and released a hotfix version 1.51.

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

Request:

Could it be possible that the GPS coordinates and the altitude been marked on map when user want the RQ to spot. This would be very useful for artillery support teamplay.

Thanks

Hitting the M key will create a map marker at the Raven's current camera target. It supplies the map coordinates and the time, but not the altitude. But you can use the map to figure out the altitude of that position.

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

When I'm viewing the Raven's camera, it is really laggy. Every few seconds it pauses and continues course; what's weird is my FPS is a steady 35, even during one of the pauses. Is this intentional to simulate lag between the RQ-11 and the viewing device or is there something wrong?

It's difficult to answer any fps questions without knowing what sort of computer you are using, what the mission is like, if you are playing online or SP, if you are playing with a screen resolution that is too high for your computer, etc. So here are my general thoughts on what you might be experiencing:

The in-camera display updates once every 0.5 seconds and might be tricking you into thinking you are getting low fps. If you have a slower machine and are zoomed all the way in on a map like Chernarus, you will end up with fps issues as that's just how Arma works on some maps. It's similar to looking through a sniper scope at that point.

Also, if you fly the Raven really close to trees or buildings or terrain, it's possible that the Raven will do everything it can to not crash into these things including coming to a complete stop in the air before moving on. To solve this, you should raise the altitude of the Raven so you aren't aiming into trees.

Edited by Feint

I shall try that later, thanks for the quick response!! :)

I was checking my frame rate with FRAPS and it said that I was steady at 35-36 FPS. The Raven itself was lagging, seemed to pause for .5 - 1 second then continue for 2 - 5. I know it wasn't my FPS because I could see trees change their detail LoD while "paused". lol

Well in Co-op its working perfectly, nice work feint, though we do have a small issue with the losing all control over the raven, i figure that was delibrate but it would be nice to be able to regain control over the drone rather than needing a entire new backpack if our operator gets killed, maybe recovering it from the body of the user?

For realtime updates on the recharging, hold the Raven.

Ah yes, missed it sorry.

The disappearing backpack issue has been fixed. Make sure you're using the latest version 1.51. Last time

Yes I got 1.50 didn't spot the quick fix, grabbed it now thanks.

BTW I do not have a good game based PC as im holding out for upgrade to Arma3 once its out (only dual core amd .. I know, shocking isnt it) and I would be the first to spot any FPS issues, and I have had none while flying this currently, in ref to poster with FPS issues, plus im using it with ACE2 and a bucket load of addons incl mando and other things.

Hitting the M key will create a map marker at the Raven's current camera target. It supplies the map coordinates and the time, but not the altitude. But you can use the map to figure out the altitude of that position.

Of course user can interprets map marker but for situation where fast action or shot accuracy of artillery is would highly usefull to have those informations marked next to the marker. It would be also very usefull to have a name associated to this marker this would make infantry/artillery coordination easier.

Well in Co-op its working perfectly, nice work feint, though we do have a small issue with the losing all control over the raven, i figure that was delibrate but it would be nice to be able to regain control over the drone rather than needing a entire new backpack if our operator gets killed, maybe recovering it from the body of the user?

When the controller dies, the Raven should return to the last known position of that player. After it lands, anyone can relaunch it and take over controlling it. At least that's what is supposed to happen. Let me know if this isn't working. I've tested this in single player and it works perfectly.

Missions really basic, If you have the pbo loaded just check the readme / doc or place the backpack down as an icon in editor look for "empty" and ravenA backpack .. sorry dont have game loaded to be specific.

OR:

In the editor of a unit, drop the ruck then you get options to unpack over the ruck.

ok, i tried this, i placed it in a ruck sack, found it in the rucksack, but couldn't access it when "gear" stuff opens to press "take" :S

EDIT:

Got it working, there's a proper backback already in "empty"

Edited by wika_woo

You're picking up the Raven, and packing it into the backpack? Are you dropping the rucksack (Using the left arrow or I think there's a 'Drop' button in gear selection. I forget) because you can't 'Unpack' the raven while you're still wearing the ruck.

This mod is awesome (and the new hotfix only makes it better)! Only thing it's missing is an animation for throwing the Raven. (The grenade throwing animation would be pretty good for it). Great job Feint!

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you are all enjoying it.

@wika_woo, try reading the readme file. It will save you loads of time trying to figure out how to use this addon. Did you actually manage to get the raven into a backpack? That's hilarious. I didn't even test for that to see if that was possible. Also, your video won't play for me because it's saying it contains content from UMG, whatever that is. I'm guessing music.

@antoineflemming, I considered doing that from the start, but it got a little complicated. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

When the controller dies, the Raven should return to the last known position of that player. After it lands, anyone can relaunch it and take over controlling it. At least that's what is supposed to happen. Let me know if this isn't working. I've tested this in single player and it works perfectly.

your code for that is flawed at least when using ace. once the unit respawns the _caller becomes invalid and points to a non-existant entity that is off-map in the lower left of the map. The raven will fly to the bottom left corner and hang there. (tested a few days ago with 1.1) If a player disconnects while the raven is in the air it will also just freeze up where it is and if the player was in camera view their GCS will stay where they were too.

Also if your interested i figured out how to make it compatible with the ACE on-back feature.

Just a thought, maybe you could add an emergency RTB way-point/marker form the position it was initially launched from, so when its launched a clear marker on map is placed at this location, or even the user has an option to on-map-click a return position for emergency only especially when on the move.

If any operator drops out or dies, the Raven detects signal loss and flags up an override to return to this RTB emergency location marker. That way units will know where its going to return to intercept, recharge and re launch. Obviously if its recharged and relaunched the marker is deleted and replaced to this re launch location. The new operator has option to place a new emergency RTB and so on (if they forget it would automaticly place one where they launched it from anyway, user option is to override with a move option in action menu list that opens map for an on-map-click to shift it some place else). And the marker clearly is for friendly broadcast "side" only :)

By default the Raven will still return back to the operator as normal if they are active and alive, regardless of the RTB marker. Think of it as the Ravens fall back position.

There must be more MP scripting ways to detect a different player, but was just an idea. It might be worth getting on test server or clan to road test it all with & without ACE, its so good that full MP test would do it justice.

Edited by mrcash2009

@wika_woo, try reading the readme file. It will save you loads of time trying to figure out how to use this addon. Did you actually manage to get the raven into a backpack? That's hilarious. I didn't even test for that to see if that was possible. Also, your video won't play for me because it's saying it contains content from UMG, whatever that is. I'm guessing music.

Try Using the download function on YouTube, you should be able to download the movie

The youtube vid is a demo of the usage, nice & simple and clear, worth putting in the OFP (UK here could see it fine).

Hmm. If the player disconnects while the raven is in flight, that's a problem. There are variables which get handed off to the static raven as soon as it lands. The problem is, I can't apply variables to the flying raven. I am guessing that's because it is a non-ai vehicle and this is just a shortcoming of setVariable. I'm also using global variables for some things because of the scope limitations I can't seem to get around.

I'm not sure how to fix players disconnecting in mid-flight. That only happens if they lose connection with the server or something, I'm guessing. Can you test for that with

if !(player==player) then run some code

As for the player respawning, what happens to his global variables and variables assigned with setVariable? Are they destroyed?

---------- Post added at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

I'm going to see if I can apply variables to the marker that is tracking the raven as a workaround for some of these issues. But if the scripts that are controlling the raven are running on the player's computer and then that computer disconnects from the server, I have no idea how to account for that.