Sign in to follow this  
theblessedpig

Taking up a new sport? American Football

Howdy everybody,

I started to notice recently that soccer and swimming aren't cutting it anymore, when it comes to picking up ladies jk ;) ;) So I started looking at other sports that I could take on when I get back to the old country. I've been looking at American Football, since I like full contact team sports. So I am asking you guys, any tips on how to start? I understand the game and the rules, but I am asking more about drills and stuff like that.

I am not really the smallest, I am 6'2", 170 pounds. I played hockey, soccer, basketball, baseball, did swimming. Any tips? Should I go for it?

Thank you for your time

PS: I am not really scared of getting injured.

PS2: I've also been thinking about rugby, but I don't think my town offers a rugby club/team/whatever.

PS3: I know I gotta get bigger with my weight. I am working on that.

Edited by TheBlessedPig

May as well try it. I think it's very dull compared to hockey personally but it can be fun.

Fake an Aussie accent and throw on a rugby shirt -you'll get more chicks ;)

Seriously? You want to play Football as a pickup tool? 170 is pretty light (ok, very light) for football but it depends on what position you're trying out for and your other attributes ie..speed,agility,hands,toughness etc...

So calorie up, do Olympic weightlifting for power/explosiveness and Powerlifting for brute strength then work on that 40m.

Good luck!

Of course I am not playing a sport for picking up girls, that's just a joke. :D The thing is that I will graduate high school in the US pretty soon and when I get back to the old country, I wanna try something new too.

170 is fairly light, I know. Especially for 6'2". I am a mixture between a mesomorph and an ectomorph, which pisses me off sometimes, since it's hard for me to add weight. At the moment I am working out twice a day, running 5 miles in the morning and playing baseball. I am fairly strong and well conditioned for only being 170 pounds.

@GRS, I played hockey for a long time too, but I simply want to try something new. And the idea of running different plays for different situations is appealing to me too.

Edited by TheBlessedPig

now here is a mans sport :p i doubt theres a G.A.A club in Slovakia but still :D

iM0mfyHvTgo

Edited by Slatts

Aussies Rules football ;)

Its like Galic............Just better :p

Aussies Rules football ;)

Its like Galic............Just better :p

international rules ;) just a shame its on the decline down under, still popular over here

American 'football', pfff.... Try rugby if possible. On the other hand you can always start training combat sports etc.

guess because its more of a one off competition a year.

guess because its more of a one off competition a year.

and the fact theres no more fights :p

That GAA thing looks like fun times... shame there is nothing like that in my neck of the woods.

I'd try rugby maybe, if there was a team in the city, I live in.

and the fact theres no more fights :p

Fights you say?...

Best sport going but never the easiest to get into...

That GAA thing looks like fun times... shame there is nothing like that in my neck of the woods.

heres GAA football..of course I would have to use the video of my county winning the final :D

j56XDU6WDGc

I'd try rugby maybe, if there was a team in the city, I live in.

Perhaps look into Lacrosse then. When I watched the GAA video I thought it was lacrosse. I now know that there is a difference but they are apparently somewhat similar and my high school had a Lacrosse team so maybe you could find something around you.

Slovakia works a wee bit differently... high schools don't offer sports. I couldn't find lacrosse in my area. I might ask my friends if they know something, but I doubt it, when I didn't find anything.

Slovakia works a wee bit differently... high schools don't offer sports. I couldn't find lacrosse in my area. I might ask my friends if they know something, but I doubt it, when I didn't find anything.

My apologies. For some reason I thought you were looking for something in the United States. After rereading your first post, I have no idea why I thought that.

It's all good. Yea, currently I am in the USA, I am leaving the 12th June and I am looking for sports to play when I get back to Slovakia.

This thread is manliest!!

Heres your sport mate -impress babes with your brawn AND opposite square color killing prowess in one fell swoop

kK5TQSKmS3o

Heres your sport mate -impress babes with your brawn AND opposite square color killing prowess in one fell swoop

That would be quite hard actually...

[YOUTUBE]kK5TQSKmS3o

That sport is quite cool actually!

Boxing chess looks quite manly! Pretty darn cool.

I have decided to go for Football, at least try it. Might just as well go for it. YOLO, right?