Sign in to follow this  
sic-disaster

My traveling blog

I just figured i'd plonk down a link on here as well, considering I've been a part of this community for a while now. And even though I might not be one of the most recognizable forum members, perhaps some of you might be interested in reading it :)

So, while I havent actually started traveling yet (I hope I'll be able to leave in a couple of weeks though!) I already started a traveling blog a few months back.

It might have been a bit premature but I decided to go ahead and create one because a few months ago I spent a week in the Czech Republic ski'ing and I convinced my parents to make a trip to Auschwitz in Poland because it was the closest we'd be likely to get in the coming years and it has always been a place I wanted to have visited.

The story of the Holocaust has always greatly influenced the way I thought about people and I really wanted to talk about it at one point or another on the blog, and I didnt want to write about it after a longer period of time had gone by in fear of memory watering it down (even though I doubt that would ever be possible).

In the meantime though I have to keep the blog sort of going and so I decided to write some additional posts about my plans so far and today I wrote a new post about one of the people that greatly inspire me.

In future though the posts would be all about my travels and written as I go

I hope you guys enjoy it:

http://a-wanderers-soul.blogspot.com/

Made a new post because I finally have a set date of departure!

And to give the post a little more substance I included a 90-minute film of somebody else's trip in Finland, Norway and Sweden among other places.

It really is very interesting to watch

http://a-wanderers-soul.blogspot.com/

Well, I'm off tomorrow morning!

Plane flies at 14:00, but I have to be at Schiphol at around 11:00, and will be leaving home at around 09:00 to get there. Then I have about 8,5 hours of flying ahead of me before I will land in Toronto, Ontario at around 16:30 local time (Ontario is 6 hours behind Holland).

Have said goodbye to both sides of my family, my friends and my younger sister, and will be seen off by my parents tomorrow. It feels really weird. I have been dreaming about this for a long time and now it's finally here. At the same time there is this sense of melancholy as I leave everything I know behind as I switch continents and I will be completely on my own and pretty much cut-off except for the few moments where I am able to establish some kind of contact online.

I carry no laptop or anything like that with me, so it's going to be completely random contact every now and then. So there are some big doubts still flying around in my head along with excitement. It's hard to know how to feel. One moment I'm exuberant, the next I think "What the hell am I doing?"

But I hope it all turns out for the best :)

I really enjoy reading your blog. As a jew the last post about Auschwitz really put tears in my eyes.

I did a one year trip along america after I quiet the army and I must tell you six years after it still was the time of my life.

Dream big and live big, brother.

I liked you link to Chris Mcandless. Especially the balance of his choice of having no map vs "he was reckless" that you mainly get.

New update with lots and lots of pictures. Unfortunately I couldnt upload my video's, but I made several of me exploring that area and several caves in the vicinity.

I'll have to find a way to deal with that problem. Public computers suck lol.

http://a-wanderers-soul.blogspot.com

Made two blogposts today! The first contains all the video's I shot while I was at the Grotto. I have had to buy a laptop to do this and spent at least 36 hours uploading these video's due to a crappy wifi connection! So you had better enjoy it! ;)

Link here: http://a-wanderers-soul.blogspot.ca/2012/06/grotto-videos-finally.html

The second post is about all my travels after I last made a post and helps keep you up to date with my latest adventures. It's easiest to just go to http://a-wanderers-soul.blogspot.com/

!

Thank you for the photos - reminds me of Chilean Patagonia with better roads lol. I haven't visited Canada and that road trip from Montreal to Vancouver looks like a good place to start!

Very nice, love travelling myself and wished I had a blog and digital camera in the end of the 90ies when I was travelling sometimes for months. Vancouver Island will be for sure great, saw a lot on TV and it looks beautiful.