Sign in to follow this  
froggyluv

Chivalry Medieval/War of Roses

Fellow fans of Mount and Blade type combat have a good year ahead of us with 2 real mouse directional medieval combat games coming this year. Personally I'm thrilled to have two medieval melee games wih Chivalry running in only 1st person tho claiming to allow full mouse control (attack/defend from any custom angle) while WoR is purely 3rd person and for some reason insists on proclaiming they'll be the BF3 of the year 1203 :p Its gonna be a good PC gaming year!

Chivalry:Medieval Warfare

-Y0las3-e1M?hd=1

War of the Roses (Not official trailer and quite long)

jnNrHdihGSY?hd=1

They both look really cool. I especially like what I saw in the Chivalry trailer. The thing I hated most about M&B was the M part... It got so old very fast for me and I've been looking for more sword games since.

Yes I agree that the actual combat mechanics look more flushed out in Chivalry then WoR at least at this point. Theres really nothing more satisfying then a squaring off against another player in melee with full mouse control in bloody, gory sword/axe swinging combat. Hopefully someday the RPG world will realise this :)

I prefer Chivalry over Wars of the Roses since the outfit and armour in Chivalry are better suited with the real life medieval history :)

But the fact that I don't like in Chivalry is that the setting are in fictional land and story, so similar to Mount&Blade series except Mount&Blade : With Fire and Sword which located in real life eastern europe (although the event used in Mount&Blade : With Fire and Sword are some fictional)

Well Ive played War of Roses Alpha (its now in Beta) and have to say wasn't too thrilled with the feel of the game -quite stiff. The mechanics and animations of the swings just didn't feel like they were being swung by an actual human but by some automaton rather. Very flashy graphics but so far -not my cup of tea gameplay wise.

Chivalry on the other hand is looking better and better and the combat looks...well...smashing :p

Heres a more recent video:

6GnuCjueong

And they have also got a Kickstarter going where there is an even more recent update video here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1711512107/chivalry-medieval-warfare

Thats got to be the youngest Lead Dev ever! But damn that game looks good.

Grabbed the beta for $50 and it doesn't dissapoint! The fighting is much more in your face, visceral medival mayhem and the sounds immersion top notch! If you've ever watched Game of Thrones and wanted to experience a duel that smells of The Hound - this is your game. Combat control while not as full-control-ish as Warband -the fighting just feels more appropriate and is mighty engrossing with kills utterly satisfying.

Heres a good recap:

y0kTAW-Un9o

(Based in the Age of Chivalry and Pirates,Vikings and Knights 2, both great mods) I don't know, these games may sound good on paper but playing it doesn't look so great.

You see these people running, swinging weapons while moving all around like it was that easy, it just looks like any other FPS. You don't get the feeling of the weight and cumbersome of these weapons. But I guess is not that easy to translate that into a FPS.

Not having played M&B, the best thing I've seen in this genre (kind of..) was Dark Souls, the combat system is what got me hooked in the game.

Coincidently (or not?), RPS just released an article about the researching for WotR and some days ago a hands-on of it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/19/blooming-marvellous-hands-on-with-war-of-the-roses/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/26/researching-for-authenticity-war-of-the-roses-style/#more-125659

I have to actually play the game....

You see these people running, swinging weapons while moving all around like it was that easy, it just looks like any other FPS. You don't get the feeling of the weight and cumbersome of these weapons.

Which is exactly what put me off of both the titles discussed here.

Just watch above video, it is plain ridiculous.

*Patiently waiting for Clang! :bounce3:*

Why is it so unrealistic to swing these weapons around with some speed? The swords rarely exceeded 3 kgs in weight, so it's plausible.

Clang won't work because you don't have any feedback from the controls. Didn't work on Wii with the Zelda games and won't work in the future.

Why is it so unrealistic to swing these weapons around with some speed? The swords rarely exceeded 3 kgs in weight, so it's plausible.

Clang won't work because you don't have any feedback from the controls. Didn't work on Wii with the Zelda games and won't work in the future.

The first WiiMote was utter shite when it comes to precision of power & direction, i agree with that.

Haven´t played Zelda, no comment.

Clang, who knows what they can come up with, it will need some sort of new controller so we cannot say for sure.

Of course there won´t be force fields introduced with it, but maybe a vibrating controller is enough to carry over the feel of a parry.

As for Why is it so unrealistic to swing these weapons around with some speed?:

a) Plausible? This is not Mythbusters!

b) The way those weapons "interact" ingame sucks, it´s not about the speed for me, rather than maces chopping heads off and swords not being stopped/restricted in their movement or swings by anything. It´s an atmopsphere killer. So many instances in the video just looked plain wrong (while the rest looks really awesome, not denying that)...

However, If they can nail the fighting down to a believable portray of sword combat in the future, i´m happy to jump right back into the Chivalry boat.

Yes, the scene where he just chops the head off a guy looked like something out of Monty Python. But as they say themself, its not meant to be a simulator.

Smurf: I would very much recommend checking out Mount and Blade. Its unique and the combat feels pretty good. It seems to have inspired both of these games.

But as they say themself, its not meant to be a simulator.

Which is where they are wrong.

If i needed another button mashing pos game, i´d go play Tekken.

Anyone remember Bushido Blade for Playstation? That one got it right!!

And it´s ancient by now ... why nobody else long for something more challenging :confused:

(Based in the Age of Chivalry and Pirates,Vikings and Knights 2, both great mods) I don't know, these games may sound good on paper but playing it doesn't look so great.

You see these people running, swinging weapons while moving all around like it was that easy, it just looks like any other FPS. You don't get the feeling of the weight and cumbersome of these weapons. But I guess is not that easy to translate that into a FPS.

Not having played M&B, the best thing I've seen in this genre (kind of..) was Dark Souls, the combat system is what got me hooked in the game.

Coincidently (or not?), RPS just released an article about the researching for WotR and some days ago a hands-on of it:

I have to actually play the game....

Actually you do feel the weight while playing -Large swords and hammers are actually quite slow and will clang into any obstacle in its way. I've played WOTR and the combat feels so stiff as to be tiresome and not engaging at all.

Yes, the scene where he just chops the head off a guy looked like something out of Monty Python. But as they say themself, its not meant to be a simulator.

Smurf: I would very much recommend checking out Mount and Blade. Its unique and the combat feels pretty good. It seems to have inspired both of these games.

Yep, decaps are a little too often but it sucks when it happens to you :) M&B combat is awesome but speaking as a daily dueler for the last couple of years -you can control weapons to the point of tranferring every twitch and feint to a totally unrealistic level. Chivalry weapons feel FAR more weighted.

Which is where they are wrong.

If i needed another button mashing pos game, i´d go play Tekken.

Anyone remember Bushido Blade for Playstation? That one got it right!!

And it´s ancient by now ... why nobody else long for something more challenging :confused:

Its not a button masher at all especially as stamina plays out on a per swing/movement basis. I hate those types of games and this one requires a learning curve. Maybe the video just doesn't convey it well but actually playing it you'll think carefully about how and when to attack, use footwork or try and block (not as easy as it looks). And yes, Bushido Blade was a good game :)

Edited by froggyluv

I was really hoping the Chivalry will be something fresh (didn't play Mount and Blade), but with every single trailer they've shown my interest gradually dropped lower and lower. I mean, come on, it looks like multiplayer lightsaber battles from Jedi Outcast:) They even admit that what they're going for is based on hollywood movies (which is the case with most games anyway). I'm not saying it's bad, I don't think I'll be playing it though.

Edited to replace video with one a little more professional:

tfpsoBX3EDk

Edited by froggyluv

I'm really enjoying War of the Roses. Can't wait to play Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

I'm really enjoying War of the Roses. Can't wait to play Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

Nice. Although I much prefer Chivalry, I'm just glad other developers are following in M&B's directional control based system.

Heres yet another video showcasing basic melee control.

MzsTu4RS_1s

Am I the only one that played Die By The Sword some 10 (15?) years ago? :)

It was very innovative, and I never seem again another game using it's approach to combat.

You could swing the sword using the mouse or the number keyboard (like, you press '9' Enric holds his sword upward, pointing a bit to the right, then you press '1' and he does a diagonal downward slash).

I also like the Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy approach, where the left mouse button actually triggers the attack motion, but you can direct it by pressing the directional arrows. So, if you wanted to do a horisontal left to right slash, you'd need to press the right button right before pressing the left mouse button.

~~~~~~

I'm highly curious about how these two games handle the melee mechanics...

Die By The Sword was a great game. I loved the Arena Stages. The way you could loss a leg or arm (or your head) was totally new at this time. (also it had some angry voice acting :mad:). I never saw this kind of game again. When you get used to the direct Mouse moving it works very well.

It was a mix with some standard attacks, blocking and the free moving, also you can grab enemy limbs and hit your enemys with their own meat :love:

Here is an YT which shows a bit the gameplay:

The Jedi knight games had a nice approach to sword fights.

I never played Thief 2, but I heard it had some sort of complex swordplay system.

War of Roses looks awesome, will be waiting for the full game though.

War of Roses looks awesome, will be waiting for the full game though.

War of the Roses was released on October 2nd. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare won't be released until October 16th. But you can pay $50 to get early access.