Sign in to follow this  
dccarrier

Long Distance Communications Pod

Just download CC and I remember the first version had an option to load a long distance commnications pod on the Manta and I can't seem to find that option in the production or supplies sceen. It basically allows one to fly the Manta past the telemetry outer range of the Carrier.

Am I missing something here? Does anyone know if this is being implemented in this new version?

Thanks,

DC

I know it was an integral part of my strategic planning when I wanted to ambush the enemy carrier on an island I suspected it would chose as its next target for invasion. I would land my Mantas on the airstrip (does that exist in this game) and let them remain there, fully fueled and armed for engagement until it arrives or I learn that it is somewhere else.

Such huge potential should not be wasted

It would almost certainly need to give the Manta more fuel since I don't think that it has the range to go island to island. Although two issues with that spring to mind: firstly, unlike the original, you can actually make use of more than one Manta at a time so it makes less sense to send one off like that. Secondly, I am not sure that the engine can cope with 2 "unpacked" islands, so if the carrier is at one, I doubt you can have a Manta at another..... Otherwise you could have control of the "resident" Mantas....

G

Then explain the additional loading time when switching to a distant Manta to be due to the telemetry distance. I have no problem with a Manta or Mantas to be slightly laggy in getting control over as long as the control is assumed and from then on fluent. Mantas ought to be able to cover an inter-island distance on one full tank of fuel just like in the original.

And why do you speak of just sending one Manta? I think sending most if not all on this long distance trap is a viable strategy

Agreed, Where is my comms pod and extened fuel tank?

I realise we're a bit limited by the instancing of each island but I would've loved to still be able to send my wing of Mantas ahead of the carrier.

Small nuances like these are what make the game somehow feel inferior to the original.

So close! ... dammed consoles! Console development should've been very secondary to the PC market for this title. The game could be so much more if it was designed to take advantage of what a PC can give without worrying about the performance and memory limitations of a PS3/360!

I would've loved to still be able to send my wing of Mantas ahead of the carrier.

Why we have to stop carrier to launch mantas in the first place? In original CC, carrier slowed down when manta was landing and i think you could launch manta in full speed. Now when i get close to enemy island, i have to wait till carrier docks at preset position, or i stop it some distance ahead. I can't send manta ahead to scout, destroy first line of defense or anything and return to carrier which is much closer by that time :(

But despite these issues, i love CCGM :D

Why we have to stop carrier to launch mantas in the first place? In original CC, carrier slowed down when manta was landing and i think you could launch manta in full speed. Now when i get close to enemy island, i have to wait till carrier docks at preset position, or i stop it some distance ahead. I can't send manta ahead to scout, destroy first line of defense or anything and return to carrier which is much closer by that time :(

But despite these issues, i love CCGM :D

This is being implemented from what i have read.....and i agree it would be nice to have a long range comms pod and fuel tank.....sure consoles would be limited to only 1 island unpacking but i don't see why we cant have it for the PC.....i would happily pay a premium for more features.

Please don't limit the PC version because of consoles.

I am missing the long range comm pod, too. As BFCrusader mentioned before it was a great method to use a manta as a remote sensor to detect the enemy carrier's activities. But - to be honest - I am not missing that feature very much. Don't get me wrong: I would love to have this option in the game. Everything that adds to the versatility of the game wouldn't go amiss. The more challenge the better! But still: CCGM is quite good as it is already. With the present flaws removed I would be quite happy.