Sign in to follow this  
the_antipop

DayZ as a Standalone game...?

IMHO it would be wr0ng to suddenly turn a free mod into a DLC

Wrong in what way exactly? Making things costs time and effort; recieving the results of these labours for free is not something to which we are automatically entitled.

Given a good quality and some engine/netcode improvements (mmo!) I'd pay.

I'm gonna buy Iron Front too, so why not a DayZ DLC/Standalone game?

DayZ at current state no substance for a standalone game. It's basicalyl just a deathmatch map with zombies as an player obstacle.

It's just a technical demonstrator not a game by itself. After one week there is usually barely any motivation left to play it at all since you have seen all it's features, except for the obvious Deathmatch addicts.

Edited by Beagle

Isn't that the case for all games?

As fun as this mod is, I have never been killed (12 times) by anything other than some jackass shooting me in the back. It's just a big shoot people in the back simulator, and that part does start to get old very quick.

Edited by GRS

looks like everybody wants a zombie apocalyse to shoot something

Those Battlefield producers and people like them want modding gone so that they can sell DLCs

Given a good quality and some engine/netcode improvements (mmo!) I'd pay.

I'm gonna buy Iron Front too, so why not a DayZ DLC/Standalone game?

Alright, this is getting rediculous.

Stop f***ing comparing DayZ to Iron Front. Iron Front has so much different from arma that it consitutes a new game. I'm not sure if you haven't seen the videos or not, but they've added tons in gameplay aspect.

DayZ, while very good, is a gamemode with addons required for some content. It's not standalone worthy at it's current state.

O Rly Owl

Yeah O RLY!

I've played it and while it's very fun, it's still really just an arma 2 mission with some required addons. It doesn't warrant an engine license right now. Hence why it's an alpha.

People are way too rediculous right now about DayZ. I mean it's fun and all, but it's not sliced bread here...

Yeah O RLY!

I've played it and while it's very fun, it's still really just an arma 2 mission with some required addons. It doesn't warrant an engine license right now. Hence why it's an alpha.

People are way too rediculous right now about DayZ. I mean it's fun and all, but it's not sliced bread here...

I have to agree with you. While it's interesting game play, it's the same bloody map with re-textured civilians with increased speed.

While I did find it fun for a week or two, there is no real incentive for me to go back and play. I already feel like I'm bored of running around, gathering beans, trying to stay away from bandits and kill zombies and rinse and repeat.

Trying to stay away from any player and to hit teleporting zombies with ArmA's clumsy (yet great) controls you mean? That's all I see in it anymore. The zombies are waaaay to quick for the controls and the players are just disgraceful. The mod itself is pretty cool but has been more than ruined for me. I had good fun while it lasted however.

Sooner or later the casual PvP crowd always ruins the fun for everyone else. I have seen it happen more than once.

I have played it and i have had much fun , when i read Rockets reasons for making it and his Ideals , i can see how it works and where it is going.

However like others i think current status whether lone wolf or Bus riding posse gives not enough Incentivisation to go back after 2 weeks or so of fun and exploration , i am hoping i am seeing it right and that the coders are making a foundation before going on to create the longevity goals characterisation for individuals , Meaning if the trading post keeper is not online , the trading is closed (when and if trading are in propper i hope one per server and can only be taken over by sale or inheritance , this will make him popular chap for sure) when the house holder is not in the house is locked (burgalry is necessary) and all other kinds of little things that make living in a dead world hard work :).

i have faith it will become a lifestyle rather than a game when its at its peak hah :)

Speaking about long term motivations, I don't know how many know of this but with a lot of luck, you can find radios who are actually transmitting encoded messages. It is suspected they are recieving signals from a numbers station. You can find a recording of it here.

It's certainly worth some investigation!

In my opinion its should be a standalone game.

Today i tried to play Arma as back in the old days but when i searched for servers there only appear DayZ server and there are tons of them.

It won't be standalone game for 99% ,because this mod will be a part of arma 2 and for arma 3 later

First of all , the mod must be done and atm it is a alpha version , so it will take a while to be final

Yeah O RLY!

I haven't played DayZ a single minute. So far for going crazy about it. I'm far away from a decent computer for still a week :/

Of course it doesn't warrant a standalone game in its current state. But BI wouldn't be able to use third party content to sell a DLC or game, so they would have to create their own content. Then they can spent some time tinkering with the engine (netcode, animations, crowd AI). Also BI's strategy concerning DLCs and standalone games has been more than fair. So I trust them to sell a good game.