Sign in to follow this  
the_antipop

DayZ as a Standalone game...?

Hey Guys,

Now I know everyone here has either heard or played DayZ the mod for A2 CO. The more I play it, and the more I think about it, I think it deserves to be it's own game.

Now, when I say game, I don't mean the mod as it is now, I envisage a massive Multiplayer Role playing game. I'm not too sure if RV4 can handle server loads of over 200+, but maybe even a full on FPS MMORPG?

As a fan of the Walking Dead & Resident Evil, I believe there is such a massive multi-million dollar market for a game like this that hasn't been tapped into yet, and I think BIS, or a license for the engine to the DayZ team could fill that hole. I mean the new Walking Dead game came out, and it's just like Broken Sword type of thing, just walk around, click on objects, then move through. It's not the big open world, unlimited possibilities type of game I want.

For it to work, it has to be done right. Not half-assed. There needs to be a massive open world, like chern with the mod atm, but preferably bigger. Obviously invested with vast numbers of zombies, all different shapes and sizes and various sounds and movements. Then comes the food, drink and first aid stuff. All of this on a grand scale spread across a massive map with loads of other players who can either help each other survive or kill you and steal your stuff, would be epic.

I think BIS should jump at this opportunity, especially as Rocket actually is a BIS employee... But if they don't want to do it, I think they should atleast license the engine to Rocket and the DayZ team and make it happen.

What are your thoughts? I know it would require a hell of alot of work, but I feel it'd be amazing.

Pretty sure the possibility has already occurred to Rocket.

And yes, massive potential. I'd been thinking about creating such a thing for A3, vaguely miffed somebody got there first but also relieved I learned of it before making a start.

Would rather see it on arma 3 as a module, like the zombies in the CoD series.

Probably would compete directly with Stalkers new direction.

Perhaps a standalone product powered on RV4 is too much and over-ambitious, but DayZ has great potential to be released as a quality, gameplay-changing DLC for A3. I know there's tons of things left to be decided in the area of concept as a whole... Still, I'm sure this idea is worth of devs time and any potential investments. Also, advertising campaign will be one of the determinants.

Someone is doing something similar. http://www.thedeadlinger.com/info

Although a mod for ArmA 3 would be pretty awesome

I checked out this Dead Linger thing, it seems surprisingly successful...and yet, they are extremely ambitious with very little material to show, and real fleshed-out ideas...either they're very secretive, or they're conning thousands of zombie fans out of $130,000?

Surely something like DayZ could fill the big hole in the middle of such a standalone game, better than any from-scratch project?

Im seeing this mod every where I go think its time BIS capitalize on its success. Maybe make it into a separate game mode for Arma 3 or in future DLC.

Sure the guys at the office would have fun creating some zombies, some baddies and some darker assets to set the tone.

Newest build of RV the animations, the atmospheric lighting/lens flares, the better character models the improved network code for Multiplayer.

Arma 3 with zombie coop survival mode = BIS MAKE IT SO!

There goes the military concept of a great game just to please even more casual players just shooting at retarded life forms..... :rolleyes:

No!!

Only had a brief go at Dayz! Not my thing Zombies, but look at the interest it has created!

10+ servers at or near top of server browser,100's more ppl playing Arma2!

Keep it within the game,raise awareness!! :cool:

DayZ haas turned into deathmatch after a few weeks now, there is no gameplay in this despite all the innovative features. If you leave the "gameplay" all alone to video game players without any higher goals all you produce is chaos and baked beans robbing. A nice mirror or society btw. as I had to find out that you get shot ast sight the most on US servers, less on EU servers, even less on French servers and least on Russian servers...the russian servers turned out to be the most cooperative ones... interesting it is from a pure social aspect.

Yeah. Totally gonna happen.

That is sarcasm me thinks.

DayZ haas turned into deathmatch after a few weeks now

That is what happened to Dynamic Zombie Sandbox too. Turned into a deathmatch (but then again, there is no innovative features).

That's because it needs missions (that can only be completed as a group) and there should be some kind of a limit - like when N of survivors die (due to murders) - the game is failed, the gameworld is reset and everyone has to start over

Double post. Using tapatalk app...

Edited by bobtom

Even with missions, I feel that it would still resort to nothing more than deathmatch. There needs to be some serious punishment to help stop the deathmatch.

I'm not so sure about DayZ as a standalone game, maybe if there was much more to do.

Hello all

As one who hates all things zombie (excepting a few older films) I was expecting to loathe DAYZ.

I actually rather like it.

I dont like the "kill everyone for their beanz" aspect, but that's humans for you.

As a standalone game? I'm sure if the devs had the time/cash it would be an interesting prospect.

The feedback I've often seen from more casual players though is, as with the ofp/arma series in general, "that it's too slow" or "i dont know what to do, where's the hints?" as they are used to more hand holding and action. So, I wonder if it will have mass market value?

Also, I wonder if the popularity is actually due to the game "persistence" and RPG leanings rather than the zombiesque elements.

I for one would love a similar mission sans "Zeds". But that's just me. It would be interesting to see how busy a zombie free server got.

If DAYZ actually came out as a full fledged DLC or standalone I'd buy it at a reasonable price. Full AAA price? no. £15UK or so, yup.

Whatever the direction it takes DAYZ has certainly raised the profile of A2 a bit, which with A3 on the way can only be a good thing.

The devs are clever chaps indeed.

rgds

LoK

It's definetely crazy, I've never seen that many full servers before dayz ( http://arma2.swec.se/server/list ) . Dunno but I remember it like they were only 5-8 unpassworded, full servers and now its like 414341 servers. The mod certainly helped with the player population.

Now as my VGA died, I'm not playing it anymore, but what I heard about is that the players only kill each other and they are all kids, I loved the mod, but just remember that BIS is not EA. As a DLC or a mod it would be a good idea to ArmA III.

I played bobtom's DZS and DayZ, I watched the gamemode of my dreams becoming a zombie deathmatch. Thanks for forget that we play ArmA not CoD.

But, the mod is really good (:

Edited by TyXo

For ARMA3 and Lemnos - I think post nuclear survival mod/dlc would fit better. Just combine story and atmosphere of Eagle Wing campaign with DayZ's multiplayer element and we have a winner.

The problem is that Limnos seems to be a very boring place for this. It has zero forests. Forests are the only thing that stops anyone from seeing you and popping you for your canned beans with his laser-precision lee enfield.

Imagine playing DayZ on Takistan.

A nice custom map with towns and forests would be in order for this to remain enjoyable in Arma3.