Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

AI Improvement

A guy I know has been to GC today and played A3. He said that the AI sucked. You could run i.to the open without getting hit and you were able to take a quite large ammount of hits before going down. My guess is that the Presentation runs on the lowest possible Difficulty level. I really don't know why BIS doesn't try to impress the visitors with some nice and deadly AI....

IMO Gamescon sucks so far. Yes, we have seen some new features, but really this is just a copy of what they were showing at E3. Yes, we know how the vehicles, helicopters, combat training and under water works, so I would really like to see how ArmA 3 acts when it acts like 90% of us plays it, and thats with combat action. They isnt much combat to watch, just roads and combat training. It sucks.... No AI to... But everyone saids it sucks anyway, and its true from what we seen.

Sorry, how the hell would improved voices harm immersion?!?

That's the opposite of what I said. You could make the voices all professionally recorded lines that sounded perfectly immersive, but then they wouldn't be able to give us as much useful information.

I get the sense that BI really gets a kick out of the new underwater environment, PhysX and animations (and with very good reason!) but what I fear is that maybe designing AI has become not fun for them and more of a burden. The amount of work that must go into constantly trying to stretch another degree of inventiveness out of these robots all the while everyone screaming and yelling how "stupid and awful" must be a special throw your monitor outta the window kinda fun.

Hopefully someone over there is still getting juiced out of designing these guys as this is really the last bastion of its kind *cue dramatic Two Towers music* and I still really enjoy playing with them :)

That's the opposite of what I said. You could make the voices all professionally recorded lines that sounded perfectly immersive, but then they wouldn't be able to give us as much useful information.

You're right, sorry Maturin, got gameplay/immersion mixed up. Though I still maintain that the procedural sentence generation could be improved to the point where it presents useful information in a non-jarring way. Anyway, it's a bit of a moot point since I'm pretty sure it won't happen before Arma4 or 5....

A guy I know has been to GC today and played A3. He said that the AI sucked. You could run i.to the open without getting hit and you were able to take a quite large ammount of hits before going down. My guess is that the Presentation runs on the lowest possible Difficulty level. I really don't know why BIS doesn't try to impress the visitors with some nice and deadly AI....

I hate that the game even will have different difficulty levels. That will make the game more arcade like on the lowest difficulty.

AI has to be on lowest difficulty because otherwise BIS devs don't have a chance to present new A3 stuff! Imagine for example Ivan fighting against "better" AI saying + showing something like "Ehhmm.... Errrmm... damn it... now now see it!!! No? Grrrrmll.... " ;)

I hate that the game even will have different difficulty levels. That will make the game more arcade like on the lowest difficulty.

VERY simple fix for that.

VERY simple fix for that.

Like removing it? If there needs to be different difficulty levels, it should have nothing to do with how many bullets you can get hit by.

Like removing it? If there needs to be different difficulty levels, it should have nothing to do with how many bullets you can get hit by.

No. Don't use it. Like always: options are optional ...

Unfortunately none at the BI HQ thought to include a in-your-face pre-showcase option of the AI difficulty labeled "safe showcase" for easy AI that would let the player explore the area in relative safety and one "real gameplay" where the enemy holds a PhD in player-killing science. Furthermore here should be a vivid display of the selection during gameplay to reduce misjudgment by spectators and casual players.

I am joking of course. Whiners gonna whine.

In before (or in after?) "zomg but BIS/people will be getting killed!"

People are not afraid of getting shot. But people are getting annoyed when the game is too easy. Unless of course the only people you want to impress with a presentation are people who never played shooters - but that's way too carebear, BIS. Just like red mine markers.

Yeah I've noticed Buchta & other people taking way too many bullets with zero effects (like they had some invisible HP bar) but I hope that's just a lower difficulty. I mean we could see Buchta get shot 3 times and his soldier didn't even react. I almost thought that was a god mode.

Edited by metalcraze

If you don't wish to use difficulty levels, I can't see what difference it makes at all how those lower levels are implemented.

---------- Post added at 11:29 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

In before (or in after?) "zomg but BIS/people will be getting killed!"

People are not afraid of getting shot. But people are getting annoyed when the game is too easy. Unless of course the only people you want to impress with a presentation are people who never played shooters - but that's way too carebear, BIS. Just like red mine markers.

Yeah I've noticed Buchta & other people taking way too many bullets with zero effects (like they had some invisible HP bar) but I hope that's just a lower difficulty. I mean we could see Buchta get shot 3 times and his soldier didn't even react. I almost thought that was a god mode.

GC demo is the same as E3 demo, i.e. basic FPS system gameplay showcase not AI showcase. Alpha may be your fist actual impression of AI, looking for it in demo vids won't be it I think.

New infantry video:

http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=67185

They are basically saying that the AI in ArmA 3 is taken from ArmA 2, in other words no improvements.

*facepalm*...

I noticed quite an AI-improvement by WATCHING the video, not just hearing what was told. ;) Other than that they said that they won't make a complete new AI but take Arma 2's AI and improve it - so the last part of your sentence doesn't make sense.

Sorry I heard wrong. Kids running around while watching :)

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

*facepalm*...

I noticed quite an AI-improvement by WATCHING the video, not just hearing what was told. ;) Other than that they said that they won't make a complete new AI but take Arma 2's AI and improve it - so the last part of your sentence doesn't make sense.

Something they have done all along? I dont see why the AI here should be better than the latest beta patch for ArmA 2.

Sorry I heard wrong. Kids running around while watching :)

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Something they have done all along? I dont see why the AI here should be better than the latest beta patch for ArmA 2.

Well, I can't give you any hard facts but atleast it seems so... Knowing the AI for quite some time by now I think that some of these AI reactions from which Jay died wouldn't have happened in Arma 2. They (from a subjective viewpoint) looked a bit sharper and faster.

And in a different walkthrough video, we FINALLY saw AI leaning around a building corner (the one with the chopper).

And in a different walkthrough video, we FINALLY saw AI leaning around a building corner (the one with the chopper).

I often see AI leaning around buildings in ArmA2.

And poles. Its funny.

I know. Just putting to rest the paranoia about BI removing the AI's ability to take cover, and remarking on the poor show the AI have put on so far.

I would love to see AI to react to foliage :D. But I guess that is a little to much to say. I would love to see AI react realistically but Bohemia Interactive is very capable.

I would not expect too much, AI programming for ArmA is difficult and it does not look too bad in the gameplays available on youtube, gamestar, etc.

I would love to see AI to react to foliage :D. But I guess that is a little to much to say. I would love to see AI react realistically but Bohemia Interactive is very capable.

like what ?

"butterfilies ? hey guys, look what i found ?!! hold shooting for a little and enjoy beauty of nature!" © ? :)

or just something like "bump. its tree. feel hard. and hurts about 0.4 hp's each hit time im hit it by head" AI-routine/FSM ? :)