Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

AI Improvement

Well, we can still hope that's only due to alpha. Maybe AI is not the focus of alpha and might become later. I sure hope so. Especially if what you're saying is true.

Edited by Minoza

Nope, that video didn't look very promising at all.. Hopefully Minoza's right, it is only the alpha release.

there has been ZERO AI improvement in ArmA3 so far... And in fact it became worse in some way

Metalcraze, I would politely suggest that you do not talk about AI until you play the game extensively for yourself, especially after the humiliation you subjected yourself to by insisting at length that BI had removed micro AI cover usage altogether (based on 45 seconds of E3 footage).

From a variety of videos, I see definite, incremental improvement everywhere. Of course the AI is not always snappy, but I've seen them pull moves that would be rare in A2, spinning on their axis to engage a suddenly-visible player, and suppressing while side-stepping into cover. They seem more gung ho about suppressing last known positions, and reviewers have said that the position-guessing logic is improved. In the 15 minute Steal the Car video, lone AI were getting the drop on the player all the time. It's far from the overhaul that I wanted, but backsliding is out of the question. Meanwhile, friendly AI are moving in tandem and are deadly with UGLs.

AI still can't use crouch stance to engage, preferring to stand in the open like an idiot - and forget about AI using stance adjustments

AI still does not react to incoming/suppression fire, ignoring passing bullets completely

AI also seems to ignore cover, running like a headless chicken through a village making it an extremely vulnerable target - whereas in ArmA2 it would've been a slow, cautious approach with stacking to walls thanks to an improvement in one of latest betas

You can know exactly none of that without extensive testing.

AI is definitely improved, it uses cover, crouch (sometimes do silly moves like standing in the open but it's not the majority of it). Still I find it quite frustrating, their aim and reflex are quite balanced imo, but damn, they don't have eyes, they've Xray fat horizon scanning devices crossed with thermal, the slightest part of your body that isn't hidden behind hard solid cover even from afar, makes you an instant target and alarms pop up everywhere. Seems that currently they're just 'machines' and nor foliage nor scene general complexity diminish the chance of you to be spotted, when you have to carefully look around and slowly scan for movement. I've played a good 4 hours and that's my experience at least. If i should report something it'd be that.

EDIT: Oh, sh*t, sorry for threadomancy. Didn't see the date.

Right now the AI is *slightly* ridiculous.

As in: Night time. No moon, no light, slightly overcast. I engage 2 ai w/o NVG from approx. 150 m, prone, in cover and with a silenced weapon. One drops, the other does a "lol 360 noscope" and drops me. In 2 shots.

Or: Same conditions as above. Swim towards shore. At LEAST 75% of body under water. Ai starts shooting at about 150 meters. How do you see a diver in pitch black from 200 m? They sure couldn't have heard me. I am guessing that a lot of seals and dolphins and such wash up with bulletholes.

I chalk it up to Alpha. Right now, the ai is teaching US to use cover and concealment at all times =)

Edited by ServiceStud
Threadomancy.

AI mods are something i'd rather do without tbh. I don't want to be faffing around adding yet more mods onto something that should have this kind of thing as standard. Arma is a game where you fight the AI so that should be the focus.

EDIT: Oh, sh*t, sorry for threadomancy. Didn't see the date.

Right now the AI is *slightly* ridiculous.

As in: Night time. No moon, no light, slightly overcast. I engage 2 ai w/o NVG from approx. 150 m, prone, in cover and with a silenced weapon. One drops, the other does a "lol 360 noscope" and drops me. In 2 shots.

Or: Same conditions as above. Swim towards shore. At LEAST 75% of body under water. Ai starts shooting at about 150 meters. How do you see a diver in pitch black from 200 m? They sure couldn't have heard me. I am guessing that a lot of seals and dolphins and such wash up with bulletholes.

I chalk it up to Alpha. Right now, the ai is teaching US to use cover and concealment at all times =)

I am also having AI issues. I love that they engage from much longer ranges than they did in Arma 2, (Thanks BIS!), but they are far too accurate, and they spot me too quickly.

Hopefully this get's tweaked as time goes on during Alpha.

Right on the money Richie :( its already put a friend off playing it..

I like how the reports from individuals range from the "AI are useless and too easy" to "AI are godlike and too hard".

:)

For me, AI are both the best part while also being the most frustrating part of an ArmA game at various times. On the days when they're "firing on all cylinders", it's the most fun I've had.... and then there are the days when they can't accomplish the most basic of tasks without falling flat on their faces.

I've usually found that there is plenty of room to tweak the AI skill set within the parameters provided, making the AI much more capable and challenging. That's easy that anyone can do it. I've noticed the Alpha build has actually included more tweaking options to accomplish just that. I usually found the AI Default settings even on the highest difficulty to be pretty weak a times and not able to offer a good challenge against human opponents. For me, it's more in their behaviors and routines not being "authentic' enough in how they execute actions. They are plenty capable of doing a variety of player type actions... but it's how they carry the actions out, how they appear in the game that often ruins the effect.

My Laundry List includes (but not limited too) things like:

AI need to land helicopters "with a purpose" and loiter less, searching for the perfect place to land.

AI groups need to mount and dismount their carrier vehicles more authentically and less like "children boarding a school bus".

Edited by Spamurai

Playing Saok's Dynamic, I had me 4 AI squaddies on a hold order in a yard at night while i scouted the surroundings. Next thing I know, they're under fire by 1 crafty Opfor whos on a porch with good railing cover and my guys are pinned (also by my Hold order). I cant see the enemy yet so I give the vaguest of orders known to military man "Find Cover!".

What happens next was otherworldy.The team split in two and the first team starts crouchwalkin up some steps..ok,ok!...they open a door..and freakin take cover in a house!! Mercy!!! This is unbelievable! Alls we need now BI are a few more codes for them to, I dunno, stay inside! As they than proceed to leave out the back door although in a nice orderly fashion.

We're an 8th of the way there BI, fortify command and peepin windows incoming ;)

*prays*

Edited by froggyluv

youtube or it didnt happen :bounce3:

great to hear

I'm glad to share this short AI comparison video. 3 squads for each side moving towards each other through Chernogorsk. Arma 3's AI seem more advanced and tactical. They spotted enemy earlier, one squad divided to flank enemy, they are moving along fences and using any cover that possible.

Falling over myself with excitement, ai using buildings, wow, thats pretty new, yes if we were back in Arma..:rolleyes:

Truth is the ai in Arma 3 are pretty poor..:(

I have seen reports that the AI now flanks, gets into cover, and make use of covering fire up to platoon sized units... alas underwater.

Playing Saok's Dynamic, I had me 4 AI squaddies on a hold order in a yard at night while i scouted the surroundings. Next thing I know, they're under fire by 1 crafty Opfor whos on a porch with good railing cover and my guys are pinned (also by my Hold order). I cant see the enemy yet so I give the vaguest of orders known to military man "Find Cover!".

What happens next was otherworldy.The team split in two and the first team starts crouchwalkin up some steps..ok,ok!...they open a door..and freakin take cover in a house!! Mercy!!! This is unbelievable! Alls we need now BI are a few more codes for them to, I dunno, stay inside! As they than proceed to leave out the back door although in a nice orderly fashion.

We're an 8th of the way there BI, fortify command and peepin windows incoming

*prays*

yep some buildings seem to have cover positiosn defined for the ai both outside and inside of them. It beats me why all them don't but oh well. Some objects outside, like rocks and tress are unfortunately missing ai "sticky cover points" though.

I can confirm that the AI sometimes enters buildings and shoots at you through windows, but I have also seen them run into a building and just stand there staring into a wall and letting me kill them.

If BIS looked back at some decent ai mod’s they could get an answer to many of the problems stock ai have.

If they stuck GL3 or 4 in this game, they would have decent ai behaviour, at the moment we have nice movements, or not bad, but little content regards ai behaviour..

AI doing just a few bits of what they can do, i.e. flanking, groups communicating with one another, suppression, using buildings, engaging from windows, doorways, balconies, rooftops, finding cover, calling reinforcements, air support etc, etc. Its all been here for years in the series, but in the form of mod’s, BIS have never cracked decent ai behaviour for the stock ai.

Problem we have, is the makers of the best ai mod’s, have left and moved on..:(

Lots of it is below in the test vids 'Intelligent ai'.. plus 'Skirmish' etc... We will never see any of that in stock ai.. or for that matter in A3 in general I fear..

If BIS looked back at some decent ai mod’s they could get an answer to many of the problems stock ai have.

If they stuck GL3 or 4 in this game, they would have decent ai behaviour, at the moment we have nice movements, or not bad, but little content regards ai behaviour..

AI doing just a few bits of what they can do, i.e. flanking, groups communicating with one another, suppression, using buildings, engaging from windows, doorways, balconies, rooftops, finding cover, calling reinforcements, air support etc, etc. Its all been here for years in the series, but in the form of mod’s, BIS have never cracked decent ai behaviour for the stock ai.

Problem we have, is the makers of the best ai mod’s, have left and moved on..:(

Lots of it is below in the test vids 'Intelligent ai'.. plus 'Skirmish' etc... We will never see any of that in stock ai.. or for that matter in A3 in general I fear..

So are any of those mods you've banded together working/compatible with ArmA 3?

So are any of those mods you've banded together working/compatible with ArmA 3?

Unfortunately not no.

GL4 is the cornerstone to the list I have put together, none of these are anything to do with me, they were all made by very talented community members, I am not a mod maker. I make missions for a group of friends I play the game with, all missions we make are with the GL4 format (gl3 previously).

SLX has an updated version (COSLX), so that may happen, but I doubt it. Zeus is very unlikely to happen either.

A2 missions are outstanding when made on this format, totally different game, ai wise...

I'm glad to share this short AI comparison video. 3 squads for each side moving towards each other through Chernogorsk. Arma 3's AI seem more advanced and tactical. They spotted enemy earlier, one squad divided to flank enemy, they are moving along fences and using any cover that possible.

Interesting video and nice comparsion between A2 vs A3. What AI skill settings was used (both in editor and the config settings)?

/KC

Interesting video and nice comparsion between A2 vs A3. What AI skill settings was used (both in editor and the config settings)?

/KC

That was regular with standard settings.

I have tested this with 2 squads with arma 3 and can i say it was a bit boring as they moved around alot shot a couple times and walked in the open and took about 10 minutes to finaly finish what was ask and that was to search and destroy each other in a open field. Just like in arma 2 ai arnt as smart untill scripts are made to make them move better and well destroy the player, for example ASR AI which made arma 2 AI alot smarter, they will flank you and suppress you which was a blast to know that you arnt fighting a bunch of AI's running around in circles. I hope ASR AI will be released soon for arma 3 for some fun game play.

I have tested this with 2 squads with arma 3 and can i say it was a bit boring as they moved around alot shot a couple times and walked in the open and took about 10 minutes to finaly finish what was ask and that was to search and destroy each other in a open field.

You need to beef up the AI skill settings, I have done hours of testing and the AI are seriously lethal, if enemy AI catch friendly AI out of cover it's over in a matter of seconds.