Sign in to follow this  
mrbenis

Technical differences between ARMA 2 and 3

BIS has always made huge leaps between their games. I'm sure there will be a huge gap between ArmA 3 and ArmA 2. Just like there was with ArmA 2 and ArmA 1, ArmA 1 and OFP.

Do you mind showing me all of these hints?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?122794-ARMA-3-development-blog-amp-reveals/page153

Tunnels or bunkers are 99% confirmed. (IMO)

Get me a .38 and a flashlight... I'm going in boys!

Tunnel Rat Ryan they'll call me.

Because you see a structure that is an entrance to some sort of mine or bunker? I'm assuming ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead also had underground structures? Because it has a mine entrance. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

03.JPG

You can't judge from a picture. There is always a possibility, but absolutely no confirmation.

Edited by Nicholas

Carrying coal to Newcastle etc.

I confess I had to search for the meaning of that phrase. You really do have the best job in the universe!

I'm feeling extremely jealous

Because you see a structure that is an entrance to some sort of mine or bunker? I'm assuming ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead also had underground structures? Because it has a mine entrance. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

http://www.arma2.com/images/stories/takistan/industry/03.JPG

You can't judge from a picture. There is always a possibility, but absolutely no confirmation.

Fortunately for you and the community Arma 2 is not Arma 3

Arma 2 was built and released in what year? I believe you will be quite surprised to see there are in fact tunnels/bunkers in Arma 3 :)

In fact if you have paypal I will bet $10 I and others are right. just for lols

Edited by James2464

Well like I said "hints" never stated that its confirmed.

VBS2 improvements could make there way into Arma 3 in regard to the underground structures.

In fact if you have paypal I will bet $10 I and others are right.

Oh really? I don't think so. Let's think back, what did I say? "There is always a possibility, but absolutely no confirmation."

You really believe that there will be bunkers in ArmA 3 based on the fact that some screenshots show entrances to what may or may not be underground structures? And just because VBS2 has them? The game is still in the development stage. If there are underground structures, they may find issues with them and remove them from the final version. Nothing can be confirmed until the release.

Edited by Nicholas

Well like I said "hints" never stated that its confirmed.

VBS2 improvements could make there way into Arma 3 in regard to the underground structures.

Yup and BIS developer said at the Gamescon last year VBS will help with the improvements of Arma 3.

Improvements are different from features/additions, are they not?

reading this thread reminds me how stoked i am for arma3's release. Looks like BIS is doing a lot of importnat things right.

Edited by twisted

reading this thread reminds me how stoked i am for arma3's release. Looks like BIS is doing a lot of importnat things right.

Indeed. Especially by sharing so many improvements between ArmA and VBS. ArmA3 really seems to become the best of two worlds (While I'm also very excited about VBS2 2.0 which will have the strengths of ArmA graphics). And with the upcoming community alpha we can expect the most stable/bug-free ArmA-release ever later this year.

There certainly has been som serious planning on this. Success is inevitable!

You really believe that there will be bunkers in ArmA 3 based on the fact that some screenshots show entrances to what may or may not be underground structures?

It would be an act of sheer folly to release the screenshots of bunker entrances if there aren't going to be any bunkers. Why would they intentionally mislead fans knowing full well that it would only result in a shitstorm.

I thought the OP was referring to RV3 limitations like:

1. Inability to render grass across the whole map or atleast a couple of kms (is the only solution to this powerful computers?)

2. Fully interactive 3D map editor/creator

3. Micro terrain (will we see this in RV3, DLC?)

4. Scripting/modding tutorials?

5. Official mod download/updater?

1. there is no other engine out there that can do that either. Besides, i really doubt the RV engine is not able to do render the entire island with grass, but i guess that would be similar to trying to render the same island with the same grass in a 3d application/rendering engine: you would end up with several minutes if not hours of render time per frame.

2. nothing to do with the engine.

3. it depends how micro you think the terrain would need to be. Although tesselation would help here and it is not confirmed (and i somehow doubt it will make it in if it wasn't implemented by this stage), it is not the only way to create additional detail to the terrain. Again, little to do with the engine, but rather with the amount of calls one can handle with a current generation PC.

4. BIS should only gather the resources and docs in a single place. I really don't see the point for them making tutorials like that. For instance UDK didn't, but there are communities using UDK that made tons of tuts afterwards, some(read most) even in commercial form.

5. again, nothing to do with the engine.

Regarding underground structures: given the fact that BIS said they tried to get rivers in for Limnos, but they weren't able to do it in the given time, i only see 2 possibilities for this:

a) you don't have any (those pictures are hardly a confirmation)

b) you have those in a form of normal buildings that connect somehow with the terrain. Not an underground structure, but made it look like one.

i would hope to be mistaken on this one...

It would be an act of sheer folly to release the screenshots of bunker entrances if there aren't going to be any bunkers. Why would they intentionally mislead fans knowing full well that it would only result in a shitstorm.

would you please provide those screenshots? Mislead you say? How so? If you are child enough to convince yourself based solely on a screenshot, you got only yourself to blame

PuFu - VBS2 has underground structures already in RV2. The only reason why they wouldn't be in ArmA3 is as usual - VBS2 must be a superior (feature-wise of course) product to ArmA at all times since it's quite a money cow for BIS.

If ArmA had all the cool stuff like PhysX, 3D editor, AAR, underground structures and, unless I'm mistaken, BIS did a very thorough simulation of Challenger tank (maybe even SB Pro-grade) the moment VBS2 was getting them - there would be no need for military to pay 30 times more for VBS2 when they could just get ArmA.

Edited by metalcraze

PuFu - VBS2 has underground structures already in RV2. The only reason why they wouldn't be in ArmA3 is as usual - VBS2 must be a superior (feature-wise of course) product to ArmA at all times since it's quite a money cow for BIS.

If ArmA had all the cool stuff like PhysX, 3D editor, AAR, underground structures and, unless I'm mistaken, BIS did a very thorough simulation of Challenger tank (maybe even SB Pro-grade) the moment VBS2 was getting them - there would be no need for military to pay 30 times more for VBS2 when they could just get ArmA.

PuFu has a point. Something being in VBS2 isn't a guarantee that it'll be in ArmA3. I mean, gore is in VBS2 but we're not getting it in ArmA3. I hope that this is an actual bunker, but there's no guarantee that it's nothing more than a static bunker in that screenshot.

"If ArmA had all the cool stuff... there would be no need for military to pay 30 times more for VBS2 when they could just get ArmA". But ArmA won't have all the "cool" stuff, meaning military will have to pay 30 times more to get a simulator and not a game.

I remember reading somewhere on the forums that they were trying to get it implemented in ArmA 3, according to a BIS dev, whether it is in or not is another story entirely. The chances are good for underground structures because they wanted to see it in the game and it's already been done in VBS2. (The rivers, to my knowledge, have never been implemented before in any RV game; and according to BIS it didn't look right when they got it working.) Granted it won't be a simple port from VBS, like Render to Texture, but most of the legwork has already been done.

Alas, the only "evidence" we've seen so far for underground things is a bunker built into the side of a rock model with it's doors closed and some far off "tunnel" that is so far off and at such an angle that we can't tell of it has a door or even extends to the earth behind it, let alone through it.

The rivers, to my knowledge, have never been implemented before in any RV game; and according to BIS it didn't look right when they got it working.

Might be a bit OT but here is what Minimalco & Robster achieved :)

I've seen those and I think that BIS achieved the same with their rivers and streams on Limnos; But it doesn't look right because the water is static.

PuFu has a point. Something being in VBS2 isn't a guarantee that it'll be in ArmA3. I mean, gore is in VBS2 but we're not getting it in ArmA3.

They have gore ?! Should be in A3 as well, with an option so scale it up or down

I've seen those and I think that BIS achieved the same with their rivers and streams on Limnos; But it doesn't look right because the water is static.

yeah those are some of the problems :(

Yes ,we Need a full presentation of the R.V engine,but I think we will have to vait for E 3,that`s like wanting a bit too

much.They need some more time to make it work.But we might get to see it before relese date.As more of a Recap on how they did it.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

I for one definently want to get my hands on a Much more updated and a more solid version of the 3D Editor.the old one sometimes broke down if there was something that was incopbatible with the proxies or one needed a up-dated

version/Fix to make it work.

I want a "auto-update" tool to simply "Quarantine" things that is not working or is uncombatible with the version NB

of the Editor.Easy editing of Proxies+adding of custommade animations by drag and drop would be highly appriciated.

A command interface where you can add an action and see it play out right in the Editor will be Very Good to get.They need to inplement things that no-one else has got when it comes to things we can do with the Editor as some other games has it allready in theirs.

We need to be able to Do it ourselves.

My only wish for A3 (which i will buy in all cases,no game is better than arma series :D):

Make things very realistic and don't make opfor weaker than blufor;just symetric balance :D

This is the first game where balance is possible, since the militaries are mostly imaginary. And usually when they do "balance," it's increidbly unrealistic, like the Metis and Vikhr ATGMs that are somehow fire-and-forget, and can shoot down aircraft better than Tunguskas besides.

Acctually;Bis uses "Attach_to_Trigger to make the tunnel to work:The only thing they need to do is to make Java and the Command_line interface to include many more such commands that can be executed in a new libary and make a SDK or at least documents of what they can do for the modders.

I want to easely be able to add new functions to triggers and implemnt things like Ejectorseats in aircraft and render what the new thing does and watch it in a window and make adjustments.

It would be cool to just import a helicopter and have a go at animation and be able to add anthing that one thinks

of on the fly.If one lands at a hilltop,map the "Attatch_to_Hill-top"key to any key,and make it stuck there.

I want to be able to use .EXE version of F2F Load out selector without script and add things on map from a drop-down list by defult.

Some "Audio System" implemented so we can modify the sound .Crash-zones implemented on vehicles.

A drop-down list with a libary of things that we can easely add to things like _add_this_backpack_blue 1_to carwreck_3 in Single player mission_1 of the Campain to make the Single Player Campain to be modified so that we want to play things again.

Make all things like houses and so on be put in a library so that we can use it in our own missions.