Sign in to follow this  
mrbenis

Technical differences between ARMA 2 and 3

Hey guys just wondering if there was a list of differences between the ARMA 2 and 3 engines technical capabilities.

I'm not asking for system requirements, I can work those out for myself. What I'd like to know is more like 'is the draw distance more optimised in the engine' and things like lighting engine versions, polygon count averages.

I'm asking this because while polygon counts on their own aren't any indication of an improved engine beyond maybe streamlined code, things like higher shader versions or more sophisticated physics simulations are worthwhile looking at.

At the moment I think ARMA3 is a graphically advanced arma2 with a similar degree of clunkiness in movement and environment interaction (beyond physics collisions between vehicles) I'm referring to the surrealism of your person looking stiff and out of place.

I personally will be buying the most powerful hardware for this current era so just assume I'll have access to everything. In brief: what's different for me to look forward to?

Well first look at confirmed features thread, its a sticky so you cant miss it.

Arma 3 will feature lots of new things, not just improved graphics but a brand new physics engine(for this game) new sounds, new animations and so on.

I've read through the OP of that thread twice but I was curious if there was a video displaying those things concisely possibly in comparison. I'm unsure if there is one and the videos I have seen weren't in very high detail.

i would say bigger than between ARMA 1 and OA or even CWC/R and A1

or even CWC/R and A1

Wow, well I should say that that particular leap was the single defining leap so far... if A3 is more of a leap from A2 than A1 was from OFP then I'm sure things are going to get very serious :)

And that's why I posted this thread, because I'm just not seeing that. I played ARMA2 nightly for over a year.. and this new iteration looks very similar. I'm glad that the gameplay has been expanded and I'm just curious about the technical improvements.

Dwarden with your position are you able to make a quick 20 second video of say, lighting effects?

i'm able but then i get fired&slayed which is not something i would be happy about :)

We need one of those kickstarter funding projects to raise money for sending a truckload of beer and some promiscuous women over to the BIS offices so the developers 'loosen their inhibitions' and reveal some more ARMA 3 footage.

Keep in mind that gameplay-videos from last year are very outdated compared to the engines more current state, which is demonstrated in the two most recent videos. Especially character animations has been completely changed since then, which should have a positive effect on the clunky movement we're currently used to.

But I think it's too early to go deeper into the technical stuff, as I'm sure BIS are still adding and tweaking things like mad scientists. It is after all at least half a year left until release, and lots of things can happen during that time. So let's be patient at least until E3 and the community Alpha :) Many questions will be answered by then!

We need one of those kickstarter funding projects to raise money for sending a truckload of beer and some promiscuous women over to the BIS offices so the developers 'loosen their inhibitions' and reveal some more ARMA 3 footage.

Carrying coal to Newcastle etc.

I am afraid there already is one :D

and speaking about technical advancements, there is a long list!

• PhysX
  • New/improved shaders
  • improved soundengine with more samples
  • new animation system
  • larger draw distance
  • larger view distance
  • etc
  • etc

Edited by PurePassion

i'm able but then i get fired&slayed which is not something i would be happy about :)

Relax, there is no need to fire a dead man, that would require a lot more paperwork :icon_twisted:

Relax, there is no need to fire a dead man, that would require a lot more paperwork :icon_twisted:

You forgot i can turn into zombie IAI :)

I am afraid there already is one :D

and speaking about technical advancements, there is a long list!

• PhysX
  • New/improved shaders
  • improved soundengine with more samples
  • new animation system
  • larger draw distance
  • larger view distance
  • etc
  • etc

I think he was asking for something more technical and precise :p Most of what we know so far on that list only says it's something "better" or "new". Would be nice to hear something about possible changes in their supershaders or texture-compression, for example. Since a big part of the arma community consist of more or less experience modders, some more technical info would be of much interest!

I think he was asking for something more technical and precise :p Most of what we know so far on that list only says it's something "better" or "new". Would be nice to hear something about possible changes in their supershaders or texture-compression, for example. Since a big part of the arma community consist of more or less experience modders, some more technical info would be of much interest!

I think that when he said "there already is one" he meant the beer truck, not the thread.

The new things on the visuals front is astonishing, I was really considering if the shot of the truck next to the red/white tower was real and from a BI recording field trip.

I realize that in videos, you showcase your sound and visuals. But it would be really great to see the less glamorous things like the editor (3D?) the new commanding interface, the UI etc. Hopefully these will begin to turn up, as the game matures more

he he, would be lovely to see some dev-blog or alike with a lot more technical information before/after E3. shaders, proxies, animations, java API etc. I know the average guy would most likely understand jack shit, but for BiS community has a lot of ppl who are articulated in some of those areas

he he, would be lovely to see some dev-blog or alike with a lot more technical information before/after E3. shaders, proxies, animations, java API etc. I know the average guy would most likely understand jack shit, but for BiS community has a lot of ppl who are articulated in some of those areas

Yep as well as trickle down excitement syndrome.

~High level technologically astute modders: "Gobblygook awesome $tring theory quantam Amazing!"

~~Basic understanding mission maker: "Sounds great! Should be able to do xyz awesome thing in my missions now!"

~~~Layman ARMA Enthusiast: "This is going to be AWESOOOOME! Dont understand it but its gonna be great!!"

~~~~Casual Gamer: "Coool! But BI please add All the Things as well because Game X does it and if you dont you suck!"

Indeed a full depth explanation of the technical changes to RV 3.0 would be great even for me. Possibly even get modders to start planning their projects in advance for Arma 3 aswell. Already the case with the ACE team.

Froggyluv summed it up.

I am wondering about "DirectX® - 10/11" use in A3 for one of the last screenshots released called "Firing Range as seen from Camp Rogain" looks very much like something I have seen elsewhere using DX11, I mean the light and the lighting effects on the rocks on the right.

ofcourse it's DX11

I thought the OP was referring to RV3 limitations like:

- Inability to render grass across the whole map or atleast a couple of kms (is the only solution to this powerful computers?)

- Fully interactive 3D map editor/creator

- Micro terrain (will we see this in RV3, DLC?)

- Scripting/modding tutorials?

- Official mod download/updater?

There is alot to be done for the RV platform to be complete and I have no doubts that BIS will find solutions for all of these, I remember the days of OFP, god never in my life did I ever think we'd end up with Arma 3 :)

^ Does any other game render grass across the whole map? Its not a limitation of the engine its the limitation of CPU cycles and memory.

and none of the other things you mention are engine limitations.

Before I believe it was impossible/impracticable to make underground structures with past RV engine but recently VBS2 has gotten improvements in that area and there's tons of hints that underground tunnels/structures will be in Arma 3.

BIS is nailing their engine every way they can for this game. I don't think you need to worry.

They're working on all major lackluster areas of the engine

Online gameplay being more smoother (Arma 2 is considerably better since 1.60 patch online)

Advanced Physics simulations is coming to Arma 3 even though Physx is already used in VBS 2

AI is in heavy Work in progress I assure

UI is being worked on to be more accessible to the user

Rendering engine enhancements in all areas, lighting, textures, models, shaders, config

Animations are being worked on to be more natural and in turn will create smoother gameplay hopefully.

Arma 3 will feature a 3d Editor

There's extensive modding documentation already though there are things left to be documented though BIS can update that whenever.

It would be nice if a developer would let us know some specific engine limitations that still need work on or are planned for future revisions.

BIS has always made huge leaps between their games. I'm sure there will be a huge gap between ArmA 3 and ArmA 2. Just like there was with ArmA 2 and ArmA 1, ArmA 1 and OFP.

Before I believe it was impossible/impracticable to make underground structures with past RV engine but recently VBS2 has gotten improvements in that area and there's tons of hints that underground tunnels/structures will be in Arma 3.

Do you mind showing me all of these hints?

Edited by Nicholas