Sign in to follow this  
Pummel

Underwater element. What is the point?

Because the Developers want to do it....

Its their game, I think its awesome, not only for exploration when im bored but being able to do crazy infiltration missions aswell a true Seal campaign will be made for this game methinks by modders/mission designers in the community.

Why do we need rivers to infil from when there is a gigantic bay?!:D That said I'm sure we'll see some awesome user made maps in the future with rivers for underwater insertions. It would be cool if the new engine was capable of actual flowing water though.:)

We shall ask BIS to implement it if not already implemented in DLC/expansions.

I just hope BIS will make good enough SP missions for this. I'm so tired of all the mediocre campaigns that come out from BIS after OFP.

Edited by metalcraze

Well, I'm expecting it, because it looks like they're putting more work into this than into OFP.

As was said before, adding another dimension to the Arma sandbox is definitely a good thing. However, I do think that the full potential of the diving part isn't used by an area like Limnos. A good area for this would be an "island" (not the geographical term) with a lot of rivers, an industrial port or a flooded city like the one in the new Medal of Honor video's. From what I have seen now, it's just "funny to try out, but we might as well use a zodiac".

As was said before, adding another dimension to the Arma sandbox is definitely a good thing. However, I do think that the full potential of the diving part isn't used by an area like Limnos. A good area for this would be an "island" (not the geographical term) with a lot of rivers, an industrial port or a flooded city like the one in the new Medal of Honor video's. From what I have seen now, it's just "funny to try out, but we might as well use a zodiac".

Well, Limnos is a strategic point for the Iranians, they would probably have atleast one larger port.

If they do underground structures, can someone do a cave mod with water so we could all go cave diving, please :P

adding the underwater element gives more potential for missions. for example, the HALO added in arma2 allowed a new dimension for missions and the same can be said for the diving

I can't even believe that this thread exists.

Did you even read the OP?

Another infiltration method. Nearly all methods are "GET TO THAAA CHOPPER". Minimal involve boats. This would inspire more missions to use them, and the new methods of underwater infiltration.

There will probably also be off-shore rigs you can explore. Ship wrecks is probably just aesthetics (as far as I know) but none the less, it makes it look very detailed and a lot of effort goes into it. SDV will just be awesome, periscope to observe and scope out a landing position.

"There are assault rifle capable of shooting supercavitating ammunition underwater, explosives and Swimmer Delivery Vehicles."

It's just cool. :D

Hopefully it will include dive computers, I mean wristwatches are already implemented in the game...

RE the rivers: as we already know PhysX is implemented in the engine. I don't think it would be beyond reason to imagine that some kind of directional PhysX effector could be used to move objects in the river downstream. If I were to imagine such an effector, it would be a series of elongated cubes placed to follow the river, with the top surface just below the surface of the water. Anything that is PhysyX-sensitive would then have a force applied to it that would try to move it along the effector's axis.

An opposing force like an anchorpoint or a motor would be required to counter it :) That way, players would need to see rivers as more than a mere temporary slow-down on their travels, and instead treat them more seriously.

Edited by DMarkwick

Hi, about the rivers... i haven't seen any river on the maps that we've seen until now, aside that... there're fat rivers on this mediterranean islands?, i don't know of any big river on any island of the mediterranean; all what i've seen is the sea entering a bit on the land, but more like a bay than any other thing. My guess is that the underwater element is there to allow stealth interventions as in the real life, made by the combat divers as primary or secondary SOC forces on the area of operations to gather intel from the NME forces and resources aside of their possition.

But i think that the water won't be very used or used at all until that you don't be able to shoot from the passenger possition of uncovered vehicles, for i.e... defend your zodiak or eliminate coastal guards from the zodiak as sniper to allow a safer insertion of the rest of the squad; without be able of shoot from passenger seats of the boats etc.. the water gonna be something that no one gonna use in the missions other than the ejected pilots that swim back to land after loose all their weapons pistol included. Let's C ya

Regarding the rivers: BIS had a thorough presentation about game design and Arma developement a few months ago (you can find it somewhere in the Press Coverage thread, it was a Czech YT video), where they said that they wanted rivers on their landscapes and tried it but were not satisfied with the results, so they scrapped the idea. This explains why there were no rivers in Arma 2 and pretty much confirms that there will be no rivers in Arma 3. No further guessing necessary.

EDIT: Here's the link

Edited by Myshaak

Look, it's simply a CHOICE...if you don't want to play a mission with underwater elements then don't play it, and play the thousands of other missions lol

No more campers in A3, they will be called "bottom-dwellers" :)

That funny "bottom-dwellers" it be a new urban word. yes think the water combat will be very kool. sas/sbs , navy seals, US river boat.

That funny "bottom-dwellers" it be a new urban word. yes think the water combat will be very kool. sas/sbs , navy seals, US river boat.

yankee sea boat (no rivers) :p

I would be inclined to agree with the OP, it's a nice feature and yes literally it is realistic, but not that practical and it's more of a COD "this happened/was planned once in real life, so lets make it into a real thing in game" approach. I can definitely see a bunch of special forces missions being made for it because, you know, everyone loves to be SF. But when it comes to actual infantry missions, this is pretty useless. Then again, that is subjective as in our community we focus on infantry and combined OPs, we try and limit the "special" forces stuff as much as possible. Still I could see missions like a platoon of marines are deployed on RHIBS supported by a small team of Navy Seals to strike a dock or something.

In the grand scale of things though, I would 100% swap underwater for a more practical feature like shooting from vehicles.

I would be inclined to agree with the OP, it's a nice feature and yes literally it is realistic, but not that practical and it's more of a COD "this happened/was planned once in real life, so lets make it into a real thing in game" approach. I can definitely see a bunch of special forces missions being made for it because, you know, everyone loves to be SF. But when it comes to actual infantry missions, this is pretty useless. Then again, that is subjective as in our community we focus on infantry and combined OPs, we try and limit the "special" forces stuff as much as possible. Still I could see missions like a platoon of marines are deployed on RHIBS supported by a small team of Navy Seals to strike a dock or something.

In the grand scale of things though, I would 100% swap underwater for a more practical feature like shooting from vehicles.

In the game you are playing as special forces. Just because something was in COD doesn't mean that all of a sudden it isn't realistic, or it didn't happen. It's really annoying to see people like you who judge how real something is based on whether or not it appeared in COD. M4's appeared in COD. Doesn't M4's aren't real. Strykers appeared in COD. Doesn't mean it's not real. SAS are in COD. Doesn't mean they don't exist. You aren't playing as some regular infantry force in ArmA3. You are playing as an SBS guy. And who are you to say what the community focuses on and tries to do and tries to limit (unless you are talking about your specific community)? Also, once again, where does this idea come from that BIS can only do one of two things? It's either this or that. By that logic, explain how BIS implemented better animations, better sound, volumetric clouds, AND RTT? Because, after all, it's either underwater OR shooting from vehicles. So if BIS can only do one thing, how'd they manage the other stuff? Sometimes decisions aren't a matter of "well, we can only have one of two features". Sometimes it's just a matter of choice on the part of BIS what features are included and what features are excluded. In the grand scale of things, you're playing on an island. A sandbox environment. A beach and any underwater environment can be considered a part of that sandbox environment. It very well plays into the idea of a believable sandbox world. And who says that shooting from vehicles won't be implemented?

Whilst I am really looking forward to the feature, I also agree with this. One of my favourite things about Arma is that the basic situation is usually so straightforward: big land, loads of clever troops. And the genius comes out of that. I always prefer that to the 'special' stuff. It does feel a little bit CODdy.

HOWEVER, what I'm really looking forward to is this just being part of the game engine. I don't care too much about the missions associated with it, I simply want the satisfaction of knowing that I can drive a car into the sea and it will probably kill me in a much more realistic way than the previous games...

i remember combat divers addon back in OFP

so yea...not "COD" like at all.

I wonder how they make this underwater detailed terrain. Probably a tool that switches water off or changes the level of it?

I wonder how they make this underwater detailed terrain. Probably a tool that switches water off or changes the level of it?

not too sure, but i guess they just made it the same way they made the land part and messed about with the sea level.

also, did you know the sea stops after a while if you fly too far along the coast of cherna? :o