Sign in to follow this  
Pummel

Underwater element. What is the point?

The underwater viewdistance seems to be too high in A3 compared to real diving/underwater activities. Just curious if we will see the refraction of light in A3 too?

Depends where you are swimming and the weather conditions at the time, having been diving off the coast of Cyprus I would say it is reasonably similar to what I experienced there during good weather.

I wonder if they will simulate the thermal barrier at around 20 to 30ft depth (cant for the life of me remember it's name) that you can physically see and it is like stepping from a warm room and into a fridge when you pass it.

Well yes with good conditions and clear water one can see ~40m in Plomari/Lesbos. Just hope that BIS doesn't make somekind of static underwater viewdistance. Do you mean the thermocline? :)

I wonder if they will simulate the thermal barrier at around 20 to 30ft depth (cant for the life of me remember it's name) that you can physically see and it is like stepping from a warm room and into a fridge when you pass it.

Thermoclime?

To make it Navy Sealish.

That would be sexy if someone made a mission...

Navy Seals would come out of the water at night, take guys down, capture battle plans, and leave.

Just wondering what made you decide to add this underwater stuff? It's very cool, but I just wonder what the point of it is, and is it really worth the extra development time?

The latest video talks about underwater shipwrecks and stuff, but what would they be used for? Will there actually be any combat under water? Harpoon guns or something? Personally I can only imagine underwater combat in an RPG or MMORPG where exploring is fun, and you might find a giant squid and sea monster and kill it and get its treasure chest or magical rings while avoiding pirate marauders on the surface or whatever. I've done similar in other games, but I just can't imagine how it would fit in to a FPS. Please enlighten me!

Have you gone snorkelling or SCUBA diving? ARe you aware of the tactical advantage of swimming into an enemy location and creating havoc with satchel charges, mines etc?

Cheers

Bo

Next to the underwater combat, this offers a completely new dimension that has been missing almost completely until now. Since Arma's maps are full scale islands, adding propper approach via the ocean is a very logical conclusion. This is a very important element of special forces operations and thus should not be missed in Arma 3.

Other than that it is yet another innovation and to be honest, I think I will find diving with SDV's, sabotaging ships and subs extremely cool :cool:

:)

I agree.

Well, one of the selling points of arma , has always been , that the missions are completed completely up to you. The underwater aspect just adds in more possibilities and tactical choices. I personally would like some large subs that you could raid. Maybe a bit fan boy'y. But i think that would be a cool mission.

I just hope that diving won't be a gimmicky thing and they will also simulate currents, depth and stuff like that.

Just wondering what made you decide to add this underwater stuff? It's very cool, but I just wonder what the point of it is, and is it really worth the extra development time?

The latest video talks about underwater shipwrecks and stuff, but what would they be used for? Will there actually be any combat under water? Harpoon guns or something? Personally I can only imagine underwater combat in an RPG or MMORPG where exploring is fun, and you might find a giant squid and sea monster and kill it and get its treasure chest or magical rings while avoiding pirate marauders on the surface or whatever. I've done similar in other games, but I just can't imagine how it would fit in to a FPS. Please enlighten me!

coop maps

coop maps

Not only COOP. Imagine a TvT scenario where one team has to infiltrate a perimeter. They use the cover of darkness to approach the shore, but at the same time the defending team uses helicopters to patrol over the water. Imagine the tense moments when you see the helicopter searchlight penetrating the surface of the water above you, not knowing if you have been compromised :) Or suddenly seeing an enemy SDV lights in the distance and the trying to find a hiding spot for your team. Good times ahead ;)

Yes, and for one simple reason... VBS... so many other military training programs are moving in on what was once VBS market exclusive to BISim and they need to advance tech and make it look better and provide more functionality and convincing than before in VBS, im willing to bet that over 80% of the funding for A3 and part the reason they decided to make arma 3 was all because of VBS.