Sign in to follow this  
pathetic_berserker

Mi24-A, Krokodil

Thanks for the release, I've been looking forward to this for a good long while. Looks and handles far better than I expected, great work. Its great for practicing flying with how squirrely it is.

The models look nice but the maneuverability feels like flying a light helicopter (AH6/MH6) with some strange "auto-movements" not like a big+heavy attack/transport helicopter. The gunner sight could get a more decent looking crosshair....

I did a quick 'walk around inside and out' video...

ijwUR-u-oo0

Edited by Jedra
Better quality video linked

I did a quick 'walk around inside and out' video...

Thanks for the advertising Jedra, much appreciated

mate, you miss a bumpmaps?

?? you mean normals dont you?. Anyway saw them working fine in Jedras vid

J-Guid probably mean that the shaders aren't that visible - that's due of using old shader NormalMapSpecularDIMap , you should use SuperShader for everything imho

your right words RobertHammer :)! and about other map-textures...

Try to increase a Specular Power in vrmat to 100 or 1000, it help to make a more steal (metallic) texture, now he looking as matt (brushed), try to play with this params ;)

I disagree with the Supershader, this beauty doesn't need it. I hate how almost everything in ArmA looks like it's straight from a wax museum with a nice gloss coat for kicks.

b00ce, in rvmat you can control shinig and glow levels, its realy must be corected, because he looking as default photoshop picture...

I mean _nohq and _as textures

as in normal hq map

and ambient shadow (ambient occlusion).

there is no bump map per se...(although if you really want to extrapolate, normals is RGBx255 spectrum bump map (greyscale), which allows finer control of the normals on all the axis, not only z).

b00ce, in rvmat you can control shinig and glow levels, its realy must be corected, because he looking as default photoshop picture...

besides the fact that 255 pure white glows like a duck-faced mother fucker...

I had such a shitty day at work, this totally counters that. While the feel of the helo kind of bugs me (It feels a lot lighter than the other Hinds) the model itself is fantastic. The panels that open automatically when you land bugged me at first, too, but when you load it up with troops and have it land, it just looks awesome. This addon is a pure must have in my opinion.

your right words RobertHammer :)! and about other map-textures...

Try to increase a Specular Power in vrmat to 100 or 1000, it help to make a more steal (metallic) texture, now he looking as matt (brushed), try to play with this params ;)

Well that was kind of the idea, it looks exactly how I want it. Refering to all the material I have gathered over the last few years it would be simply unrealistic to give it a 'metalic' (read wax) finish

In fact almost everything you see uses the super shader with a few exceptions that didn't benifit from the exrta overhead or simply looked more realistic with the old NormalMapSpecularDIMap,

Well I'm sure if I gave you only default photoshop (.gimp in my case) textures you'd see how wrong you are

---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 ----------

I had such a shitty day at work, this totally counters that. While the feel of the helo kind of bugs me (It feels a lot lighter than the other Hinds) the model itself is fantastic. The panels that open automatically when you land bugged me at first, too, but when you load it up with troops and have it land, it just looks awesome. This addon is a pure must have in my opinion.

Glad you liked it, I too would have liked a slightly heavier feel in full flight, and a little less twitch on the yaw but I'm generaly happy with it considering the circumstances, and the feed back from those who have experienced TOH is still positive.

---------- Post added at 09:34 ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 ----------

Pathetic_Berserker, congrats. Sorry for the incomplete translation. :)

Well it still beats the shit out of everything being cream fuzz

The models look nice but the maneuverability feels like flying a light helicopter (AH6/MH6) with some strange "auto-movements" not like a big+heavy attack/transport helicopter. The gunner sight could get a more decent looking crosshair....

Well I was trying to avoid a 'perfect' crosshair and was to lazzy to add proper optical model so will also add this to possible update, and maybe make us both a little happier.

Can you remove the white crosshair when using UPK-23 gunpods, as well as tweaking the name of the choppers and weapons (e.g. "Mi24A_UPK_23" change to "Mi-24A (UPK-23)" )?

I'll add it to the list for possible update.

Great work Pathetic_Berserker :)

btw it does have original flying mass which RKSL-Rock did to original Eric's Hind?

Short answer is no, in fact its a little heavier, see my response to Rock a few posts above yours.

Amazing work PB, thank you for the fantastic addition to the Armaverse.

Pathetic_Berserker

I think guys here who ask you some 'tips', want to help you improve your stuff and make it more better, its not a critics ;)

It's OK J-Guid, I don't mind people being critical. I work in design environment where work is often colaborative, and always anylised and critiqued.

I just don't think what you are suggesting is an improvement. As I said, almost everything you see already uses the super shader with a few exceptions that didn't benifit from the exrta overhead or simply looked more realistic with the old NormalMapSpecularDIMap. I understand the technicalities of what you are saying, they are already being used.

It's a question of taste.

maby you right ;), i will try to make some experiments with materials and show you results

This addon is a work of art.

@Jedra - nice walk through videos on your YT channel

I think the effect that users seem to be complaining about is the frosty appearance of the interior in direct light. This is caused by the blue channel of the smdi channel being black, or the specular power rvmat setting being at or close to zero. In situations where the light is reflecting at quite an acute angle to the surface, black stripes can appear.

From a physical standpoint, decreasing the specular power increases the area that reflects light without reducing the specular intensity. For the same specular intensity, the lower the specular power, the more light is 'reflecting' off of the surface. The surface appears extremely reflective but also extremely matte, which is not a common trait for materials. If the frosty look is not your intention, you can increase the value of the blue channel in your smdi map, or the specular power slider, or both, to reduce it.

I think the effect that users seem to be complaining about is the frosty appearance of the interior in direct light. This is caused by the blue channel of the smdi channel being black, or the specular power rvmat setting being at or close to zero.....

Thanks for pinpointing the issue Max, seems a bit of an oversight yes. I'm probably too used to being blinded, coming off the back of an Australian summer.

sp=15 , as released

origsp15.th.jpg

sp=250

testsp150.th.jpg

sp=300

testsp300.th.jpg

A specular power much over 500 seems to reduce any light reflections to the point of being alomost non existant.

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker

Thanks for pinpointing the issue Max, seems a bit of an oversight yes.

Doing helicopters, espectially ones with two cockpits, are so full of fiddly bits and ever-lasting detail work, it is no wonder that the odd thing slips through. I was quite sick of helicopters when I was through mine, and I only did one livery version.

BTW, your helicopter inspired me to watch Red Dawn again. I am currently deciding whether I owe you gratitude or revenge.

Doing helicopters, espectially ones with two cockpits, are so full of fiddly bits and ever-lasting detail work, it is no wonder that the odd thing slips through. I was quite sick of helicopters when I was through mine, and I only did one livery version.

BTW, your helicopter inspired me to watch Red Dawn again. I am currently deciding whether I owe you gratitude or revenge.

Sick of helicopters, totaly, but still nothing compared to what I've done to my wife (or what she'll do to me if I keep it up much longer). The liveries were interesting coz once I had my layers and templates set up right in a master file they were quite quick and fun, also a bit of break from all those 'ever-lasting details'. I also found that projection painting from blender to gimp and back again to be a godsend, wish I had discovered it earlier as it kissed all my UV stretch woes good-by.

As for Red Dawn, when I find a coulpe of hours that I don't mind getting back, I'll watch it again (sheepish).

BTW I checked and BIS uses a SP of 200 for the hind cockpit so I'll go with that.

And while I'm here does anyone what decides the crosshair for the UPK, I can't find an obvious entry. Is it due to its cannoncore class?