Sign in to follow this  
CrazykennyNL

ArmA 2: OA Lag and other gameplay related issues

Hello everyone,

I have some problems with lag in ArmA 2 that I dont quite understand. Most lag will not happen at the start of the game, but a few minutes in, afterwhich it becomes (in my opinion) almost unplayable. Think off 10-15fps.

If I would have a low-end rig I would have accepted and understood my problems. The thing is, I'm running a i7 2600k with 16GB DDR3 RAM and a GTX570. Which are all plugged into a ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z. So I highly doubt my system is insufficient. Do you guys have any ideas?

Furthermore I have some problems getting things to build in Warfare game modes. The AI commander can build stuff perfectly, I on the other end will have the ability to select the construction menu and what I wanna build, but after I place it, nothing happens. The HQ doesnt deploy, nothing. If you guys have any idea on that I would greatly appreciate it.

Kind regards,

CrazykennyNL

PS: I am also running the ACE mod through SixUpdates. (I launch the game through that aswell)

EDIT: I'm referring to online missions

Edited by CrazykennyNL

Are your drivers all up to date?

Is your game patched to the latest version?

What are your detailed ingame video settings?

Regarding building problems: is the ghost preview green or red when trying to place? Red indicates a invalid area (mostly obstacles nearby or too steep).

Its green, I have build bases before so I know what to look for. I click on the place where I wanna build and it just dissappears like something would start building, but it dont. I've tryed running it default en very high. Both settings which my system should easily tackle.

Its green, I have build bases before so I know what to look for.

Sorry, wasn't meant to offend you but i don't know your gaming experience so i had to ask the obvious first.

It sounds a bit like some scripts are going mad, messing up performance and functions. Is it the default BIS Warfare map or a usermade variant? Do you host yourself or have a dedicated server runnin? Please some more detailed info about the exact situation as every little bit of info might reveal the problem.

Myke;2136845']Sorry' date=' wasn't meant to offend you but i don't know your gaming experience so i had to ask the obvious first.

It sounds a bit like some scripts are going mad, messing up performance and functions. Is it the default BIS Warfare map or a usermade variant? Do you host yourself or have a dedicated server runnin? Please some more detailed info about the exact situation as every little bit of info might reveal the problem.[/quote']

I wasnt offended, dont worry :p I do allot of work in the IT sector, so asking the obvious is not frowned upon by me atleast.

Well, most of the time I was hosting the server myself (as I have no dedicated server) with the A.C.E mod. I'm not entirely sure if its the A.C.E version of Warfare or the Vanilla ArmA one. Is hosting a server (and playing on it yourself) that much more resource intensive? The maps I play on are BIS made. Primarily Chernarus and Zargabad.

I recommend to start a dedicated server for playing any MP scenarios, also if you play for yourself. Server exe should be in the same directory as the game exe. It will take the load of AI calculation and server side scripts from the client which gives a significant raise in FPS. A quadcore CPU has enough power to run a server instance and a client simultaneously.

I recommend the tool TA2DST to quickly set up a local server.

Myke;2137210']I recommend to start a dedicated server for playing any MP scenarios' date=' also if you play for yourself. Server exe should be in the same directory as the game exe. It will take the load of AI calculation and server side scripts from the client which gives a significant raise in FPS. A quadcore CPU has enough power to run a server instance and a client simultaneously.

I recommend the tool TA2DST to quickly set up a local server.

I got a Dual Socket Xeon server I use as fileserver, it has 2 dual-core Xeons fitted on it, 4GB of RAM and a X800XT videocard. Would that suffice as a dedicated server?

Then all that remains is my inability to build, perhaps it is the answer to that aswell?

It might be the answer as i've heard of certain missions not running properly when hosted but running perfect on dedicated server.

About your fileserver: given the CPU frequency is not somewhat 1.XXGHz but a bit higher ;) , this should work. But before you start moving files to your server, do a test on your local machine, running the dedicated server there and connect locally from your game. This will tell you very quickly if it's worth it to set up your fileserver as gameserver.

Myke;2137314']It might be the answer as i've heard of certain missions not running properly when hosted but running perfect on dedicated server.

About your fileserver: given the CPU frequency is not somewhat 1.XXGHz but a bit higher ;) ' date=' this should work. But before you start moving files to your server, do a test on your local machine, running the dedicated server there and connect locally from your game. This will tell you very quickly if it's worth it to set up your fileserver as gameserver.[/quote']

Will hosting it locally not effect game performance? I dont mind running it on my own machine aswell if it does not have a impact on my FPS.

Sure it does effect game performance: it should increase. ;)

No, for serious now....when i play A2 (SP or self hosted MP), CPU load barely hits 60% overall load. With dedi server instance running, it runs mostly @95% load (AMD PhenomII X4 965 that is, yours should be the better CPU). That said, the client will have more resources to use for FPS instead of AI calculation since these are handled by the server (except AI under players control/group). Just give it a try, it shouldn't blow up your PC and there's no additional installation procedure needed, so nothing to lose for a try.

After that, if it works for you, you still can set up your fileserver machine as gameserver.

Myke;2137530']Sure it does effect game performance: it should increase. ;)

No' date=' for serious now....when i play A2 (SP or self hosted MP), CPU load barely hits 60% overall load. With dedi server instance running, it runs mostly @95% load (AMD PhenomII X4 965 that is, yours should be the better CPU). That said, the client will have more resources to use for FPS instead of AI calculation since these are handled by the server (except AI under players control/group). Just give it a try, it shouldn't blow up your PC and there's no additional installation procedure needed, so nothing to lose for a try.

After that, if it works for you, you still can set up your fileserver machine as gameserver.[/quote']

Thanks allot Myke, you've been a great help so far. I'm gonna set it up when I get home from work. I just hope it fixes my building placement problem aswell. Just to note, the game + DLC's are bought through Steam and launched trough Six Updater. No idea if that brings any problems with it.

Thanks allot Myke, you've been a great help so far. I'm gonna set it up when I get home from work. I just hope it fixes my building placement problem aswell. Just to note, the game + DLC's are bought through Steam and launched trough Six Updater. No idea if that brings any problems with it.

That shouldn't be a problem, at least not for your specific building problem.

Where is this Server.exe you speak of ?

Usually in the same folder where the games .exe is.