Sign in to follow this  
rocket

DayZ Zombie RPG (Unofficial Mod) Alpha

It's pretty engrossing and the persistence between sessions makes investing time worthwhile.

You've done a super job of making the Z'ds both dangerous and avoidable.

Fascinating post-apocalypse dynamic when encountering other players, will they work with me or kill me for what I'm carrying?

Well done!

After playing all the evening i have to say : absolutely amazing experience!!

Here are some suggestions:

Some ingame help could be handy when you are a noob, like how to get raw meat and cook food, maybe some item books where this info is stored could do the trick.

Dead bitted players could become infected zombies after a while, this would make the scavenging expericence on dead players more exciting, you must shoot the dead for precaution, this may attract other zombies.

Flares could attract zombies during the night (i don't know if this is the case now). Make blood attract zombies, is you are bleeding they can track you better.

Make zombies walk to noises (last noise position),and only to players when they visually contact you (not always run).

Change the music when zombies are around and when they chasing you. Destroyable/Openable doors for zombies after a while and maybe some destroyable dynamic barriers for defense.

Just some ideas, thanks for such a great mod :D !!!

Anyone interested in setting up a server can email dayzdevteam@gmail.com

As I said earlier. It's not just a mod, there are a number of external applications that go with it. And if EVERYONE tried to setup their own server, the central server wouldn't be able to handle the requests.

It's not a matter of "releasing" it, in order to setup a server, a detailed and careful process needs to be followed to install it. If the settings are not right, then your expeirence will be even worse and your previous saved characters could be corrupted and deleted.

The central server? theres the problem.

Why is there a central server?

What are thease mysterious external applications?

You have released it to the comunity but witheld the means to enjoy it. Is it beyong us mere mortals to understand how the central server works? Are we unable to setup our own?

Can we not by chance maybe have the nounce to manage to make our own central server and maybe understand the secrets of the EXE files?

Dont get me wrong its a great mission and you have done an excelent job, but I got to ask what do you want? What are you hoping to achive? How much is this going to cust us in the end?

It's not a matter of "releasing" it, in order to setup a server, a detailed and careful process needs to be followed to install it. If the settings are not right, then your expeirence will be even worse and your previous saved characters could be corrupted and deleted.

Well i'm listening and so are many others

Go ahead!!

You must still be missing something. Use SixUpdater, "clone" the server mods and then "update" anything that might be missing. Only thing this doesn't work for is the @dayz mod itself which it sounds like you installed correctly. Yes, this works with STEAM.

Octybar / Anyone,

This is my first post - I found this thread through Google while trying to figure this all out. Id love a bit of advice and maybe others would benefit from learning as well. I'm a new player - just purchased Arma2 - and am wrapping my head around these mods. I have the STEAM version, I have installed SixUpdater and enjoyed my first ACE modded Arma session last night.

Could you PLEASE explain how you have made the DayZ mod work with Six Updater and Steam? (details will be needed and VERY appreciated)

Cheers and see you in there.

Edited by ajax_alpha
added text for google

Telson_VBAU,

There is a central database server, storing all the player information. Stats, Items, Last Position etc. etc.

The great thing about a central database is, that you can resume on any of the available servers, you're not bound to just one of them.

Rocket is extremely helpful if you want to host a server, connected to that database. He will hold your hand till it's up and running! :)

If you want to create a separate database just for your server, you may want to wait until this mod, and it's system is no longer "Alpha". Rocket is busy enough as it is, with non-stop bug fixing and what not. There is no time to write tutorials on how to let ArmA communicate with databases at the moment. I think.

Octybar / Anyone,

This is my first post - I found this thread through Google while trying to figure this all out. Id love a bit of advice and maybe others would benefit from learning as well. I'm a new player - just purchased Arma2 - and am wrapping my head around these mods. I have the STEAM version, I have installed SixUpdater and enjoyed my first ACE modded Arma session last night.

Could you PLEASE explain how you have made the DayZ mod work with Six Updater and Steam? (details will be needed and VERY appreciated)

Cheers and see you in there.

Download all dayz files from here http://www.mediafire.com/dayz

Make a new folder in your steam OA installasjon folder named @dayz. Inside @dayz folder make a folder named: addons . unpack all dayz files from mediafire link and copy them into @dayz>addons folder.

Start with Sixupdater and play. (make a new preset with the DayZ server of your choice)

NB! You have to manually update Dayz files. So check above link, everytime before you play or when the server tells you, for updated files.

Absolutely fantastic. Jumped out of my seat a few times, the music creates an amazingly eerie atmosphere. I'd post suggestions but I understand you already have some ideas and bug fixing to get on. However, I was just wandering why the New Zealand server only has 20 slots? I noticed the others have 35 or more. I'm assuming it's something to do with the amount it can take.

Thank you for your time you dedicated to making this masterpiece, I look forward to what you have coming up!

Edit:

Actually some basic notes in the briefing would be good, so new players who join don't have to the same questions over and over (Why is it so dark? What am I supposed to do? etc).

Edited by bezzzy

so re downloaded the files and made sure battle eye was up to date and im still getting kicked off the game for now reason. any server admins here able to go through the file for me and find out why its doing that? my in game name was CPL Mauro, for the US servers. i tried to connect around 1800 central. would be nice to know why i keep getting booted... im about to wipe my computer for this mod... its that serious...

*Deleted by author

------------------------

Edited by GiorgyGR

Can the developers please make the night slightly brighter?its pitch dark and impossible to see without flares and its forcing people to increase their monitor brightness/gamma.

Can the developers please make the night slightly brighter?its pitch dark and impossible to see without flares and its forcing people to increase their monitor brightness/gamma.

That's kind of the point, the night is supposed to be hard. Currently, from what I've read, it's not "easy" to change date settings since it follows the host's local time and possibly date settings.

Hey,

just want to let you know, that the FR Server is now allowing the ShackTac Movement Addon, to make your building searches more pleasant. :)

All you need are the v2 bisigns from Six Updater. To get them you can download the Addon via Six Updater or directly from here. (Thx to Sickboy for providing the v2 signatures!)

If you want us to allow more client side Addons, let me know, and I'll see what I can do.

Soundmods however, are not allowed, because the DayZ Mod is based on the vanilla sound engine... soundmods could lead to bugs in the Zombie's behavior.

Sorry, SnR is right. I had to remove it unfortunately. :(

Let's hope that we can allow it again soon.

Edited by sxp2high

^^ ShackTack movement is a great addon to this. Really felt that was missing when i tested.

______

Noticed when i get hurt and lose sound volume (as it should be i heard - havnent read through all documentation), but it seems to keep it low even if i respawn. Quit to lobby and head back works however.

Not the biggest fan of zombie stuff, but this is immersive and the gameplay is well thaught out both in either joining up with others or going lonewolf preying on others. Zombie animations are top notch and its creepy as hell to be alone near villages. The food, blood (health), water and the eventual vehicle parts collecting to fix vehicles is just very cool. And it seems servers are either full or near full all the time. Good work!

Your going down the road of pain if your going to allow addons whilst a mod is in vAlpha. Will make it hard to test 100%.

All servers should keep it clean, at least for the balance seeing as some treat it as PvP.

Only wishing the time was accelerated, perhaps to 24 hours in game = 2 hours real time. This would give a more equal chance of finding things in the daylight and some safety for night, something like minecraft survival mode. As it stands now those that get to spend much of their time gaming in "daylight" generally have a huge advantage by the time I get to play, at night.

I like the scavenging concept very much, it´s what makes Stalker awesome :D

Played for an hour on the US2 server now (it just crashed) and for a wee bit on NZ yesterday.

Was lucky with Z´s mostly, found some ammo and drugs from corpses who weren´t as lucky, and here already comes the catch:

In an environment where you need to find stuff to survive, why oh why make it dependant on the oh so shitty BI rucksacks :confused:

They´re a pain in the ass to handle, lack packing space, and tend to loose stuff (yay found a crossbow ... noooo wheres all my bolts!?!).

It´s very disturbing in an otherwise excellent mod.

forgive my noobness just started playing.. I picked up a tent? What's it's intended purpose.. and does it work atm?

forgive my noobness just started playing.. I picked up a tent? What's it's intended purpose.. and does it work atm?

I think it's like a mobile gear that you can go hide somewhere and stash stuff.

Only wishing the time was accelerated, perhaps to 24 hours in game = 2 hours real time. This would give a more equal chance of finding things in the daylight and some safety for night, something like minecraft survival mode. As it stands now those that get to spend much of their time gaming in "daylight" generally have a huge advantage by the time I get to play, at night.

I agree with this. Something like 24 hours = 4/6 real time hours would be more suitable though in my opinion.

none of the servers are showing up for me? same for anyone else? 12:17 central time us 4/20

I agree with this. Something like 24 hours = 4/6 real time hours would be more suitable though in my opinion.

Agreed as well. I tested this 2 times now and both times were at night. I wanted to see the sun-up which would been cool. Hopefully BIS effect module/or own script made rolling mist is present. The sun coming up with mist rolling along the ground and zombies lurking... Great stuff.

Agreed as well. I tested this 2 times now and both times were at night. I wanted to see the sun-up which would been cool. Hopefully BIS effect module/or own script made rolling mist is present. The sun coming up with mist rolling along the ground and zombies lurking... Great stuff.

Heya. S. Maunder here(DayZ Development) and this is something we're looking at it! However right now we're dealing with a few bigger problems still in Alpha and all. The thing about times going faster is that is can sometimes mess around due to our database not being able to keep up and therefore certain players might see day and others night... Which would totally be unfair and cause PvP issues

Hope this helps.

Edited by Mindless
Forgot to finish it.. Ha!

none of the servers are showing up for me? same for anyone else? 12:17 central time us 4/20

Don't worry about it, there are a lot of downtimes due to back-end updates. If there is a major problem or update, all the servers are being shutdown till it's sorted out...

Heya. S. Maunder here(DayZ Development) and this is something we're looking at it! However right now we're dealing with a few bigger problems still in Alpha and all. The thing about times going faster is that is can sometimes mess around due to our database not being able to keep up and therefore certain players might see day and others night... Which would totally be unfair and cause PvP issues

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the update! Geeze, even if one of the US servers were west coast I could at least get some "dusk" zombie slaying in before night fall ;) More flashlights would be a good pacifier while the time issues are sorted out!

Next on my wish list I suppose would be some sort of melee. I know that's asking a lot, especially with this engine, but man... a baseball bat, crowbar, pitchfork, or even a knife would sure be handy when you run out of bullets (and flares, like I did one night! Yikes!)

It would also be nice to be able to zombie proof a room by blocking or locking the door, etc. I suppose the same could be accomplished if the zombies could no longer open closed doors. I'd consider perhaps taking away their ability to climb ladders and maybe even swim too.

Finally, is there dynamic weather used in this mod? The only thing creepier than running around in the dark being chased by zombies would be rain covering their sound and the occasional flash of lightning!

Superb mod regardless, definitely the game that I'm playing these days!

Edited by Oktyabr
Added stupid wish list ideas ;)

It would also be nice to be able to zombie proof a room by blocking or locking the door, etc. I suppose the same could be accomplished if the zombies could no longer open closed doors. I'd consider perhaps taking away their ability to climb ladders and maybe even swim too.

I locked myself in a twin-door garage yesterday, as I was searching the ground with my flashlight, a couple of zombies decided to disobey the laws of physics and walk right through the closed doors, I shat my pants went prone and waited to see if they noticed me or not, took me a while getting the pistol out of my backpack before I could kill them off. (then six more zombies did the same trick, I ended up with broken legs and ArmA being switched off for the day).