Sign in to follow this  
rocket

DayZ Zombie RPG (Unofficial Mod) Alpha

I've been having tons of fun with this mod.

I thought I'd take a stab at some music for the main menu. If you don't fancy it, it won't hurt my feelings. If you do enjoy it however, you're free to use it.

SFG

Hi Rocket.

For an alpha release this is really good quality.

When I first started playing it (Have been for a week solid now) I thought the game-play was excellent.

I've done the zombie killing/looting bit. Done the pvp bit, located and collected all the best gear, albeit a set of NVG's.

Worked with a bunch of team mates on teamspeak, had some fun moments surrounding bandits in shops etc.

Night time gaming is by far the most ambient

Unfortunately a week in and I'm losing interest in it, and the reason for this is lack of a higher goal. There is no end aim other than to get high on the score board and the only teamplay that can be created is limited to a small team via teamspeak or sidechat looting towns or ambushing bandits.

I hope you are willing to address this in the near future and if so I may replay it or even host a server for it.

I do wish you all the best in this venture and I think I can speak for the entire community in thanking you for revitalising Arma2 at the backend of its life.

I think Terox is hitting the nail on the head here - without a purpose (or the ability to easily join with friends to co-operate) I don't see this mod having much longevity. Why would a Unit/clan blow server money on running something that seems to attract mostly non-team players? I can't see my team blowing $60+ a month to host something that doesn't bring in new members (we're a co-op group) and sadly a lot of the players of this mod are not the type I'd want in my group in the first place. We're not rolling in dough or into hosting something with no return (meaning new members for our team) as a public service.

Apocalypse missions usually involve some form of cooperation with the survivors - the present style of play does nothing to encourage that and worse, makes it very difficult if not impossible, to join up with like-minded folks in a timely fashion (I spent hours trying to join up with a few buddies to no avail). This means for me at least, that my interest has dropped to 'nil' in a very short period of frustrating time.

I hope to see some changes in this mod - especially in the terms of co-op play which I feel is very much lacking. Til then I'll leave it to the lonewolves - you've won boys! Now how about chipping in for that server you've spent the last week 'owning'?

Please remember, it's an Alpha. I'm following the traditional software development life-cycle, i.e. Alpha will end with a feature freeze. My focus up until this point was on core technology components such as zombie spawning, persistence, and the hackery needed to get it all working. As I've said in all the interviews so far, this was never really meant to be fun as such, because my focus was on the core components with no thought to longevity or replayability.

Please remember, it's an Alpha. I'm following the traditional software development life-cycle, i.e. Alpha will end with a feature freeze. My focus up until this point was on core technology components such as zombie spawning, persistence, and the hackery needed to get it all working. As I've said in all the interviews so far, this was never really meant to be fun as such, because my focus was on the core components with no thought to longevity or replayability.
In fact you indeed owe us nothing so it is a bit pointless to ask for more than we get.

I like DayZ -- sure my interest has waned but that happens with everything.

It's definitely a great mod and I appreciate all the work put into it.

@Rocket,

I'm sure you wasn't expecting it to take off like it has, and hats off to you for bumping ArmA2 sales the way you have. I'm sure your boss is very pleased it has.

You have in effect created a master of an alpha which is much better than most beta's and its popularity has most likely slowed you down somewhat on the development side, having to deal with the mass of emails and pm's you must be receiving.

I'm sure that mission developers will take it to a place that you probably don't have the time to develop it too anyway once you have the core stuff finalised.

You have done a great job and made something that is fun to play and different to the type of mods we generally see.

As Serf stated though, it is bringing in the type of player from outside of Arma, that we are not used to seeing, this is most likely a negative aspect of it

Edited by Terox

The more I play Dayz I'm starting to really like the eat&drink system or that we can gut and cook an animal.I think these two elements could have worked nicely in single pl too and give us a reason to stuff up our backpacks with other things instead of grenades,clips,rockets or take hunting trips.:p

not to start a flaming wars or anything but I think this alpha will prove to be better and more stable then the arma III open-BETA XD, can't wait what you add after this! some objectives or tasks to get speciality items would make it even better!

just some random places to be found which makes exploring inland more rewarding.

Rocket, amazing game mode.

I was wondering what you think about incorporating ACRE or your own radio system and disabling all sidechat. :)

This would introduce amazing immersion as well as solve or help to contribute to the solving of problem people have with banding together as a team. Imagine finding a radio and hearing real time radio burst from a survivor camp calling all nearby survivors.

Or worse yet, a bandit attracting others with the calls for the same.

The elimination of side chat would force people to direct talk more to gain helpful information, tips and such unless they had a radio.

People would be much more inclined to band together for information and safety than shoot first.

In addition, it would add to the feeling of being alone in the world when sidechat is not around for anyone to ask questions. Radios with realistic dispersion and inteference like ACRE would be great and add to the already amazing survival game you have made. People would be forced to higher ground to transmit and need to loot for batteries.

Thanks for considering the idea or at least telling me what you think.

Great job, we are truly enjoying this. and Happy Bday!

I love the mod to the fullest. I have no issues linking up with my team mates at all. We have linked up with other teams, and individual survivors who are looking to group up. Took risks doing all the meet ups, but with good overwatch, we have not had a single linkup go wrong. We have brought first time players into our group and taught them the basics, and they are running alongside OFP vets without much of a problem. I don't need encouragement to work with others, and thats the beauty of the mod... you are free to be who you are, who whoever you want to be, without any influence.

The fact that people are complaining about new players coming in by the droves is an embarrassment to the community. So many claim to be elite, but yet you cannot be bothered to extend a hand to help teach those who came to us. This community is notoriously small compared to the mainstream games, and rocket has not only provided us with a new awesome mod, but a massive fan base to draw in new blood from as well. I guess beggars can be choosers....

haters gonna hate, keep doin your thing Rocket!

PS: Hosting the 4 US Hardcore servers... cuz we can.

Also, i just wanted to throw in some other thoughts and ideas.

To those saying this game has no objective. Depending on how much Rocket puts into the leaderboards and stat tracking on his website that is your ultimate goal. To try and live longer than you did with your previous character! Awsome.

If Rocket continues to add more and more survival nessecities and objects it will become harder and harder to survive. I saw he added what looks like a thermostat. Imagine if he incorporates temperature changes and hypothermia and you have to stay warm or heat stroke. All those things will make it more challenging to strive for your best time surviving.

I'm not sure, but do you only get points for killing things? If so then this could be explored to encourage other kinds of activities.

I guess my only issue with the more traditional FPS players joining is that many just see it as a deathmatch, so as soon as they see you, they shoot you. This kind of leads to a 'shoot first or be shot' mentality. As of yet I have not murdered anyone (and I am not going to unless they shoot at me first), but it is very hard to establish a connection with a group if you join as a solo player.

The new players are very welcome though - I hope that some of them stay on to play regular Arma and then Arma 3. Many people who did not like Arma previously, may find that after playing DayZ that Arma is not so difficult to play as they originally perceived.

well updated the addon , spawned at the beach and got spotted by a zombie. shot the zombie and 20 more arrived, as expected i did not survive.

edit: just tried again, couldnt even approach a town, got 25+ zombies after me and i cant do anything with makarov.

Edited by Paintface

well updated the addon , spawned at the beach and got spotted by a zombie. shot the zombie and 20 more arrived, as expected i did not survive.

edit: just tried again, couldnt even approach a town, got 25+ zombies after me and i cant do anything with makarov.

And there's me logged off at the SW Airport :(

Had a great time last night. i started off quite close to the north wets airfiled and made my way there and looting some stuff from the small towns i came across on my own at pitch dark.

reached the airfield where some of the ocuk guys where and when i was climbing up the ladder i fell off and died LOL.

respawn in the coast and met up with Tooter i think his name was and met in the south coast airfield in a place called balotela? We found loads of nice cool weapons, he had a AK and i had a M16 :O

We camped in the towers and saw a few people coming tnowards us and my job was to go downstairs and into the hangers luring the poor souls out in the open for Tooter to kill them LOL.

we did try to ask if they wanna tewm up but no response so we decided, screw it, we cant trust these guys and took them out one by one with me luring them out in the open LOL.

was great fun and i just hid inside the bushes before logging off.

Great fun this game is

Maybe you should try other approach then.

That i find extraordinary on this game-mode is..everything on DayZ universe are working with common logic/sense at

maximum.

Try to convince yourself you are not playing a game but.. you LIVE this bad situation (aka simulation)..and you ll be surprised..

The fact that people are complaining about new players coming in by the droves is an embarrassment to the community. So many claim to be elite, but yet you cannot be bothered to extend a hand to help teach those who came to us. This community is notoriously small compared to the mainstream games, and rocket has not only provided us with a new awesome mod, but a massive fan base to draw in new blood from as well. I guess beggars can be choosers....

If you had read the last pages you had noticed some of us around here actually tried to help new players,many times in fact but we got rewarded by a shot in the back.Maybe you think it's an embarrassment,but I prefer "notoriously small" community instead having waves of CoD trigger happy kiddies.Not every game is down to the "OMG another dude let's shoot him trololol".

Edited by Krycek

Maybe those player killer should feel a little more pain for their sins, to reduce their willingness to do it again.

- On spawn you can't move/shoot for PK's times 5 minutes. 1 PK = 5mins, 2 PK's = 10 and so on

- Time in game reduces the delay: 1 hour = 1 min.

Unfortunately those who kill defending themselves are disadvantaged.

since 1.5.7 it takes a long time for server response... ??? many people is being held on forest limbo... :(

I didn't go through the entire 8 pages to see if this was answered, but is there any plans on allowing listen/player-run dedicated servers for this in the future? I know there's persistence but maybe there could be separate characters for "official" servers and player-run servers? Mostly because every server I hop on now is either 1) completely pitch black or 2) filled with noobs. Would be great to play this with a few friends over time in a co-op, PvE capacity.

EDIT: Never mind, from the FAQ:

Q: Can you give us the mission files so me and my friends can play on a private server?

A: The way DayZ works means that you cannot run the mission privately because it is synced to our external program and database. A possible DayZ Lite may be released in the future where people can make their own missions.

I really hope this makes it in sooner rather than later.

Edited by MavericK96

Gnat;2149648']Maybe those player killer should feel a little more pain for their sins' date=' to reduce their willingness to do it again.

- On spawn you can't move/shoot for PK's times 5 minutes. 1 PK = 5mins, 2 PK's = 10 and so on

- Time in game reduces the delay: 1 hour = 1 min.

Unfortunately those who kill defending themselves are disadvantaged.[/quote']

Punishing people for killing players after the fact is not the answer. Subtly making the behavior more disadvantageous at the moment it is about to/has happened is.

Save for instance adding more zombies in the cities and wanderers in the country side, one shot and they're on you like flies on stink. Or make it worth while to team up with people, like adding more items like the blood transfusion where you can't give it to yourself. There are a myriad of other ways to gently steer people away from PvP, punishing anyone for choosing any particular play style is not the ArmA way. In this game people rate what they get.

PvP is a core part of the mod, punishing people for using their advantages to survive is not the correct way of encouraging team play. This is the zombie apocalypse, not some fantasy Care Bear land where everyone dances around a camp fire while throwing flowers and singing Kum ba yah.

That said, I'm the kind of person who would give you the shirt off my back, in game.

Edit:

Check out this thread.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?pid=15944

Edited by b00ce

b00ce - I will read that big post when I am less tired. I do agree with you that punishment for being a bandit is not what is needed. There does have to be a negative aspect to it though - there has to be a consequence. One social consequence is that you are ostracised from 'regular' society and you would probably end up being a loner. Maybe the game will fix itself and follow the probable route that humanity would take with bandits having less and less of an impact as others join together - although I think that the servers would need to be bigger for this to truly work.