Sign in to follow this  
rocket

DayZ Zombie RPG (Unofficial Mod) Alpha

How about introducing a weapon switch mechanic like in ACE? It's really clunky changing between a rifle and sidearm/flashlight when a zombie/unexpected bandit suddenly scares the *** out of you :) One mis-click and an accident is in the making, like shooting a CZ550 in the middle of the town when e.g. all you wanted to take a quick drink...:)

Would you like to get sniped beyond your view distance? Or do that to someone else?

I hadn't thought about sniping actually, I just usually have viewdistance set high because it looks better. I see your point though, but I can live with snipers getting more range.

You can't tell from the stars which direction you are going or what time it is.

Oh, but you can. On a clear night you can find North Star, if you know how. :cool:

Operation Flashpoint had a mission where you were shot down behind enemy lines and had to find your way back home without compass and only thing you knew was that your base was somewhere in the east. I learned as a little kid how to find a North Star by looking at a night sky and you can imagine my fascination when I discovered that you can actually locate it in the game. Same thing goes for Arma series. That detail along with many others is why this is the best game ever. :yay:

By the way, the mod is really great, and as others have already said, would be nice to see it in Arma 3 also.

Just raise it to 2000 m for everyone or so,you can't defend the idea of so small viewdistance ... besides sniper rifles are really rare ! and seriously ,i see no problem with people sniping from a high spot.

Are you sure?

The CZ rifle with 9+ caliber is pretty much easy to find as Remington shotgun (shotgun oO)

So.it's a no go for me

there who talk about viewdistance ...

what adds to the atmosphere is exactly the lower view distance, improved by fog, cloudy weather or heavy dark clouds, rain and storm ...

also the map will come as bigger than smaller for the 'survivor' ... instead if you climb the tower and see whole map and beyond ...

remember the map has limits ... it's not 1024km per edge or something along that size which goes beyond visibility range

You can't tell from the stars which direction you are going or what time it is.

Oh, but you can. On a clear night you can find North Star, if you know how. :cool:

Operation Flashpoint had a mission where you were shot down behind enemy lines and had to find your way back home without compass and only thing you knew was that your base was somewhere in the east. I learned as a little kid how to find a North Star by looking at a night sky and you can imagine my fascination when I discovered that you can actually locate it in the game. Same thing goes for Arma series. That detail along with many others is why this is the best game ever. :yay:

By the way, the mod is really great, and as others have already said, would be nice to see it in Arma 3 also.

Yes, i remember that mission. And how awesomly happy I was when I reached the base in the morning, when the sun was setting. this was the moment I fell in Love with this Game series forever ;)

Edited by tremanarch

Cloudy weather in ArmA isn't atmospheric, it's just dull. And there aren't really any dark clouds. Often you have partly sunny skies with pointlessly low visibility.

Elder Scrolls has this problem too. The effect of fog and haze is nothing more than a throwback to the days of bad graphics.

Storms or sun.

@Dwarden

i didnt ask for 10 km VD,just an acceptable one to allow to to locate yourself easily,it's just silly to stand on the road and not being able to see balota airfield.

And that thing you call FOG has nothing to do with reality,since it "removes" all object that hides.

Maybe ,mission maker could work on some foggy effect with decent VD,through which u could see something.

@GiorGy

CZ and remington are not what i exactly mean (for me ,those are hunting rifles),i mean big guns like DMR,M107 and the like ... something that can shoot beyond 1000 m

[quote name=Qazdar;

CZ and remington are not what i exactly mean (for me ' date='those are hunting rifles),i mean big guns like DMR,M107 and the like ... something that can shoot beyond 1000 m[/quote]

Theoretically CZ is a hunting rifle but what matters to caliber is BIGGER than M24 and DMR and somewhat smaller than M107 ;)

The only practical difference between a CZ and a DMR (on effectiveness) is..

you can use the DMR in LMG lol-mode :D

Edited by GiorgyGR

Regarding visibility...it is to low currently on all servers, some have only 200m it should have a minimum visibility off 1000m so you can at least somewhat navigate. Foggy days with less than 500m view is really rare RL even in the early morning. Currently its rainig al the time and vision is below 500m al the time. That's even worse weather conditions than South Wales. You can not even see whats on the ATC tower from the end of the runway on airport. If you want fog utilize the weather effects module, the plain "foggging" out of objects and terrain does not look good nor gives it any atmosphere because you can not eben see the terrain profile around you anymore. Thats really baad and simpyl too much in a game where you have to navigate without any help at all. It is not "nice or atmospheric all all to see objets "pop in" out of nothing at 300m. Hunting became extrremely difficult at such low distances as you barely find game from far (>500m) anyore.

---------- Post added at 01:55 ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 ----------

So...what is this?

On FR1 server ALL players just now died at once...all at once...what is going on?

THis is now the third time I have to start all over new due to such server resetting stuff without any warning it get's really anoying...

Edited by Beagle

Hacker.

Name: GreyWolf.

He has been banned, and his database profile corrupted in such a way his game will lockup whenever he tries to connect. He went through a number of servers doing what hackers do.

Oh dear...o.k.

So let's start all over new then!

On FR1 server ALL players just now died at once...all at once...what is going on?

THis is now the third time I have to start all over new due to such server resetting stuff without any warning it get's really anoying...

Happened to me once before on their server(s). That's why I refuse to play on FR servers and stick to other ones. Thankfully thus far I have not the misfortune of randomly dying and losing my gear to a hacker on like the EU and NY servers.

Tonic is our expert, he's getting it configured. We're looking at getting HIVE to synchronize bans beyond the database level (so BattlEye runs off the same list), but that's going to take some time. Tonic reviews the setup and Dwarden is also taking a key role to ensure we're doing everything we can here. It's a testament to those guys and the hosters that we haven't had more of this going on. When they figure out that its very easy to spot them in the database, and their profiles stop working (or I turn them into funny things like WildBoars) they will stop.

There is a glitch with the chemlight after throwing one another one appears on the weapon but this one is not visible for player (no action menu either) himself only for others. Little confusing if one does not know that he "lights" himself up. Perhaps a fast call menu would be handy just to make people aware that there "Friendly, coming through!", "Don't shoot, friendly!", "I dare you, I double dare you....", "Mind your own business, move along!". Just thinking about trading or dealing with stuff - any plans for making a faction/group and stores or places for DayZ merchants?

Having direct voice chat working would be more than enough. Another thing that bother me a bit is that fire places and tents a too restrictive, we should at leats be able to place them in 100m² forrest clearings.

I´ve got a question,

I alwas recieve that errormessage by trying to enter a server:

Warning Message: 

Files 
"D:\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@BAF\addons\air_d_baf.pbo", 
"D:\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@BAF\addons\characters_d_baf.pbo", 
"D:\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@BAF\addons\characters_w_baf.pbo", 
"D:\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@BAF\addons\data_baf.pbo", 
"D:\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@BAF\addons\dubbing_baf.pbo", 
"D:\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@BAF\addons\languagemissions_baf.pbo", 
... are not signed by a key accepted by this server. To play on this server, remove listed files or install additional accepted keys.

since BAF is BIS...why the heck do I get that message, that doesnt make any sense to me...someone told that this is due to the different patch status. The BAF and PMC patches are part of the latest 1.60 OA patch. So I unpacked the patch and tried to apply the BAF patch dierctly, which by obvious is not working...any ideas?

I´ve got a question,

I alwas recieve that errormessage by trying to enter a server:

Warning Message: 

Files 
"D:\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@BAF\addons\air_d_baf.pbo", 
"D:\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@BAF\addons\characters_d_baf.pbo", 
"D:\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@BAF\addons\characters_w_baf.pbo", 
"D:\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@BAF\addons\data_baf.pbo", 
"D:\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@BAF\addons\dubbing_baf.pbo", 
"D:\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@BAF\addons\languagemissions_baf.pbo", 
... are not signed by a key accepted by this server. To play on this server, remove listed files or install additional accepted keys.

since BAF is BIS...why the heck do I get that message, that doesnt make any sense to me...someone told that this is due to the different patch status. The BAF and PMC patches are part of the latest 1.60 OA patch. So I unpacked the patch and tried to apply the BAF patch dierctly, which by obvious is not working...any ideas?

Remove the @ at the beginning of your BAF folder.

Cloudy weather in ArmA isn't atmospheric, it's just dull. And there aren't really any dark clouds. Often you have partly sunny skies with pointlessly low visibility.

Elder Scrolls has this problem too. The effect of fog and haze is nothing more than a throwback to the days of bad graphics.

Storms or sun.

the game has fully set of clouds from stormy clouds, to heavy rain clouds, just full clouds etc. ...

guess someone shall make screenshots for non-believers

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

@Dwarden

i didnt ask for 10 km VD,just an acceptable one to allow to to locate yourself easily,it's just silly to stand on the road and not being able to see balota airfield.

And that thing you call FOG has nothing to do with reality,since it "removes" all object that hides.

Maybe ,mission maker could work on some foggy effect with decent VD,through which u could see something.

@GiorGy

CZ and remington are not what i exactly mean (for me ,those are hunting rifles),i mean big guns like DMR,M107 and the like ... something that can shoot beyond 1000 m

so You want ability to shoot over 1km at 15x15 km map right? ...

in survival game mode ... what's next?

thermal imaging and see thru objects and autotracking sniper bullets

(yes they do exist irl now, works like guide rocket with ability guide to target)

and yes, at clear day you can see around 500-700m fine (maybe more but i had no laser range finder to be sure)

the game has fully set of clouds from stormy clouds, to heavy rain clouds, just full clouds etc. ...

guess someone shall make screenshots for non-believers

)

I believe you. But as I stated earlier, if you make each weather state in ArmA have an equal probability, you will get way too much cloudy weather. That's because you have a weather spectrum that ranges from pea soup fog to overcast, with a tiny sliver of clear skies at the far end.

Remove the @ at the beginning of your BAF folder.

I put the @ after I expirienced that issue the first time. I already removed that Symbol again.

But I already seem to get rid of that issue, since I installed that patch (1.60) again. It works now and I fight myself through the zombie hords...thanks

ARMA CO now #6 top selling on steam, craziness. That's some sales boost, you should probably consider making full spin-off game :)

Amazing how people jumped on this one, really weird.

Anyway, tried it, one server was nice but I died soon, another server - bugs, glitches and disappearing equip, I'll definitely try it again tomorrow.

edit: now its #4 on steam... bananas... :yay:

Edited by frostwyrm333

Having direct voice chat working would be more than enough. Another thing that bother me a bit is that fire places and tents a too restrictive, we should at leats be able to place them in 100m² forrest clearings.

So please clarify - as I had been playing recently only survival style beware all others - I haven't tried direct chat VON in a while - is it still broken in DayZ mod 1.5.4? Or in 1.5.5 which looks like latest?

About the fireplaces - yes, I agree, the placement requirements is quite restrictive. I had been hauling around like for a 30 minutes finding an ok place nearby a boar corpse, to finally find one which was definitely not "on level ground without any other objects nearby" - on a slope between trees. I don't know of course if it's engine/script or design restrictions, but if possible, please relax them a bit, especially in the woods it was hard to find a place to light a fire, especially somewhat covered so it wouldn't be visible from possible enemies.

Wow, even in crappy alpha stage this mod have made ArmA so much popular.. I guess ArmA II sells more games because of this mod. This is something I and many people have wanted for a long time. Maybe BIS can take this idea and maybe make some official zombie pack to either ArmA II or ArmA 3?

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

ARMA CO now #6 top selling on steam, craziness. That's some sales boost, you should probably consider making full spin-off game :)

Amazing how people jumped on this one, really weird.

Anyway, tried it, one server was nice but I died soon, another server - bugs, glitches and disappearing equip, I'll definitely try it again tomorrow.

edit: now its #4 on steam... bananas... :yay:

Naah, not that wierd. Everyone loves series like The Walking Dead, 28 Days later and so on. When watching these everyone is thinking what they would do. Now they can. But im suprised that it got so popular in such a early stage in development. Just think what they could do with this ;D