Sign in to follow this  
rocket

DayZ Zombie RPG (Unofficial Mod) Alpha

A watch would be good. I played for the first time last night and I spawned in the dark next to some water. Anway, I ended up in the water not knowing which direction I was going just swimming and swimming and swimming. You can't tell from the stars which direction you are going or what time it is (couldn't see the moon). It would have been good to see the time so I knew how long until daylight. Anyway, the euro servers crashed after a few minutes so I will try again this evening and hope its not night-time again.

You can't tell from the stars which direction you are going or what time it is (couldn't see the moon)
You can easily find polaris if you know your way around the night sky.

Awesome mod, absolutely love it! I love the pure openness of it, it is the spirit of the ArmA series made playable. I can't wait to see the additions and the streamlining that is yet to come. I would love to see some sort of base building implemented myself, that could expand on the territorial nature of people. It would be nice to be able to go hunt for scraps of metal and wood that could be manipulated in 3D and placed nearly however a person desired. Adding in base defense weapons that would have to be scavenged part by part, and then assembled would add some difficulty/purpose/reward to actually having them. Additionally conducting "side missions" could then possibly reward your group with friendly AI to man those weapons at base possibly. Base building or not, I feel that booby traps should be added in, with a tripwire feature like what is available in the ACE mod. There definitely needs to be a way to protect your camp from wanderers, other than just finding a creative hole to hide your tent in.

Also, It would be awesome to see this concept applied to a "Red Dawn" type scenario, where players are guerrilla forces fighting a superior invading army that could at least somewhat intelligently respond to attacks i.e.: Quick Reaction Forces, Attack heli support, artillery strikes, etc.

Edited by franklin

Problem with fortification building is that it's an easy way to exploit the AI's pathfinding. Have a couple of sandbags around you (or just stand next to a static MG) and zombies simply can't get to you even though players could.

I would like a Private (Locked) dedicated server for the Clan I help run. Just like ShacTactical have now.

Where can I get the needed files and access?

Problem with fortification building is that it's an easy way to exploit the AI's pathfinding. Have a couple of sandbags around you (or just stand next to a static MG) and zombies simply can't get to you even though players could.

Make the fortifications destructible on zombie attack, a couple of zombie hits and the sandbags are gone.

Make the fortifications destructible on zombie attack, a couple of zombie hits and the sandbags are gone.

That is assuming that the zombies agree to come within reasonable attack distance from an object, for example they refuse to come within 4 meters of an M2 machine gun. Scripting them to attack an object that by some logic is deemed to be in their way is an atrocious task and the end result would be ugly at best.

Is there any way to get zombies to run a straight line? I mean not zig-zagging from node to node wildly, but come straight at you somehow. Wasn't "micro AI" supposed to solve this? It's a huge immersion killer for me.

Is there any way to get zombies to run a straight line? I mean not zig-zagging from node to node wildly, but come straight at you somehow. Wasn't "micro AI" supposed to solve this? It's a huge immersion killer for me.

nope.avi

nope.avi
Shouldn't it be a matter of formation and FSM configuration?

Wow that sucks :(

Been trying to play for about an hour and keep DC'ing and when i finally manage to start playing and i just die randomly with nobody around. Lost all my loots.

Edited by Angle

I finally downloaded this mod today, and I installed it correctly (@dayz folder, AddOns inside, then unzipped all the files from the rars into the said AddOns folder, and added the target line to a shortcut), but I can't seem to join ANY Day Z servers.

Whenever I try, I either get a generic "Connecting Failed" message, or if I do connect to one, it'll let me choose my role and receive the mission file, but then freezes on "Loading". I don't have any firewalls, anti-virus programs, or anything like that blocking connections, so I'm not sure what's going on. Anyone have any idea?

Edited by Guy LeDouche

Shouldn't it be a matter of formation and FSM configuration?

Yup. I managed to write a quite nicely working zombie-FSM making all other scripts unnecessary. Those Zombies then would walk straight towards you if they knew about you (So you had a chance of sneaking past them).

Only had some initial hesitations to go inside buildings, but eventually also that worked. The FSM took care of navigation, moving, damage dealing and preferring live bait over feasting on already dead ones if a certain distance threshold was passed.

All it required was for the micro-AI to give up, which is easily done via this:

this disableAI "FSM"

I'll have a look, maybe I can dig the mission up again. It also features a random weapon spawner that created gear lying on cupboards, tables and beds in buildings.

Edited by Mondkalb
changed from jira tags to BB code, my bad.

Celery, the base's I was imagining weren't necessarily to ward off zombies, but players. If there was some sort of check built in that would force you to be X number of meters away from a city center before you could "build" something, that would ensure people weren't trying to take over a city. I felt that camps like this should be out in the sticks, safe from most zombie attacks, but not safe from players and thats the point of the walls... to protect against other players.

... The FSM took care of navigation, moving, damage dealing and preferring live bait over feasting on already dead ones if a certain distance threshold was passed ...

You mentioned "damage dealing" through FSM, which reminded me of what i wanted to ask...

Is the damage dealing done by zombies in DayZ scripted?

If yes, then i think it could be worth looking into a way how to do that without scripting (or with minimum scripting at least).

I tried giving my zombies an ability of using invisible thrown projectiles, based on a grenade, to deal the damage, and even though it still needs some tweaking, it works quite good.

Later i added a fired event handler script to the zombies, which allowed more precise hits by altering the trajectory of the projectile after it was thrown, to hit randomly selected part on the victim body - but that seems to be handled differently and just fine in DayZ.

The good thing about this is the fact, that when zombie attacks some other AI, the AI knows who is attacking, and knows it is in danger.

I know there are no AI units to be attacked by zombies (except maybe for animals, but i havent seen them to attack one), but maybe some day there could be and then it would be nice to have this feature.

Also, since there is a projectile that must hit the victim, it also prevents the zombies to hurt others through a wall, etc.

My zombies are animals, spawned in from "createAgent" and managed in a scheduler. They have no formation, no FSMs, no groups, no targets. This is all done manually by a much more efficient method, doing the target acquisition and processing on for each client rather than each zombie (who can see me?).

The problem with using individual FSM's and Scripts is that you either clog the system up, or invoke a script scheduler overload.

To overcome this problem I simply ripped everything out engine wise. Each client themselves figures out when and how a zombie might see them, regularly, using a scheduled environment.

The servers do only two things:

1. All the stuff they do normally

2. Sync everything to an external data repository, again done in a scheduled way

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/29132

Telson, was this a premonition?

MSO is all about persistence (if you didn't know), we hope to at some point move to a DB implementation and learn from DayZ on scaling the experience...

Hey Tup

Yeh looks like it was, I knew it would be popular lol.

I posted that on the 03.03.2012, I Recon they pinched the idea PMSL

Rocket this mod is awesome! the only request I have is put it on six updater mate :D

Rocket this mod is awesome! the only request I have is put it on six updater mate :D

Its has been for a day or 2 :cool:

Hi am trying to set up a Wiki page or guides and what not pic of items and such but what are the class names in the editor for me to spawn them on tables to take photos of? if you could PM a list would be nice to have something like this http://www.cityliferpg.com/cliki/index.php?title=Main_Page or the bis http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2:_Weapons any help in this would be nice

Can ANYBODY shed some light on the Loading lockup? :confused:

Happening to most people at the moment loading takes ages especially if the servers got quite a few on already, servers are also getting reset fairly regularly at the moment.

Happening to most people at the moment loading takes ages especially if the servers got quite a few on already, servers are also getting reset fairly regularly at the moment.

Alright, thanks man. I was afraid it might have been something on my end.

Contents for a Dayz Wiki all i would need is class names for editor items and stuff to take photos of.

1 SYSTEMS

2 Survivor's LAw

3 Tools of the trade

4 MISC

5 Dayz Change Log

=SYSTEMS=

Info about the different SYSTEMS in the sever.

What are the minimum requirements to play DayZ

Persistent Server and Save System

Respawn and Death.

DayZ Controls and Keys.

Custom Medical System

Zombies

repair Transport

= Survivor's LAw =

What to Expected as a Survivor

Shops & Locations

ways to Get Iteams

How to make Camp's