Sign in to follow this  
rocket

DayZ Zombie RPG (Unofficial Mod) Alpha

*Do we always spawn in the coast line? Has anyone spawned inland ever?

* Most of the time when you need to respawn, you have to go back to lobby and start from there cos otherwise you just get a black screen that never goes away. I am the only one getting this?

* Server owners should announce to players when they join that the blue side chat should not be used for voice chat. Some ppl have hard time understanding that there is usually 40+ players hearing his babblings.

* Some side missions would be nice. Idk how or what they could be but some little goal to do. Like you have to go deep inland to Sobor to do some stuff. And most of the time you would have to get ppl to help you on this mission. But it should not be something that ppl could just spoil on forums easily like "Go to Novy Sobor town hall to save a little girl and take her to Cherno to the boat to receive X/Y/Z".

Edited by Atkins

I don't seem to be able to use my space bar in this mission anymore (which I have bound to prone). If this is an attempt to prevent use of Commanding Mode you shouldn't really be checking hardcoded dik values. In fact as I understand this ticket at DevHeaven (https://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/4253) the issues with spacebar scanning are now obviated as part of the built-in difficulty options (I've not tested this myself). Suffice to say, I can't prone but I can use Commanding Mode.

I seem to get kicked from the game, but with not explanation as to why?

I'm only running ...\arma2oa.exe" -nosplash -mod=@dayz

I have Combined Ops and BAF and PMC Full versions if that helps.

Any idea why?

I seem to get kicked from the game, but with not explanation as to why?

I'm only running ...\arma2oa.exe" -nosplash -mod=@dayz

I have Combined Ops and BAF and PMC Full versions if that helps.

Any idea why?

You sure it loads up as CO? Locate arma.rpt and check if there is any info.

Here is a new video of Dayz for anyone who want's to see what it's like.

srJ5dV5K2yc

Wow, since I first played, I can't believe how much this has exploded with popularity!

Zombie kills: 322247

I remember Dean being excited when we hit 100 kills!

*Do we always spawn in the coast line? Has anyone spawned inland ever?

* Most of the time when you need to respawn, you have to go back to lobby and start from there cos otherwise you just get a black screen that never goes away. I am the only one getting this?

* Server owners should announce to players when they join that the blue side chat should not be used for voice chat. Some ppl have hard time understanding that there is usually 40+ players hearing his babblings.

* Some side missions would be nice. Idk how or what they could be but some little goal to do. Like you have to go deep inland to Sobor to do some stuff. And most of the time you would have to get ppl to help you on this mission. But it should not be something that ppl could just spoil on forums easily like "Go to Novy Sobor town hall to save a little girl and take her to Cherno to the boat to receive X/Y/Z".

Currently all players will spawn somewhere along the coast line either south or east of the island, it was our goal to leave the northern towns less populated leaving it up to the players to make there own way if they wish. Side missions plus boats are on the cards and will be implemented in furture updates to come.

You sure it loads up as CO? Locate arma.rpt and check if there is any info.

All the icons are in the lower left for A2 A2:OA BAF and PMC?

This is part of the .rpt that looks relivant;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56844908/armarpt.txt

Any ideas?

All the icons are in the lower left for A2 A2:OA BAF and PMC?

This is part of the .rpt that looks relivant;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56844908/armarpt.txt

Any ideas?

Run Patch 1.60 again. I was getting kicked earlier as I installed BAF/PMC after I patched 1.60, therefore keys were different.

I'd say patch 1.60 again, then make sure you have all the dayz mods, and try again.

I don't seem to be able to use my space bar in this mission anymore (which I have bound to prone). If this is an attempt to prevent use of Commanding Mode you shouldn't really be checking hardcoded dik values. In fact as I understand this ticket at DevHeaven (https://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/4253) the issues with spacebar scanning are now obviated as part of the built-in difficulty options (I've not tested this myself). Suffice to say, I can't prone but I can use Commanding Mode.

So that's why I've been unsuccessful in switching to chemlights: I've bound space to fire mode.

This mod has infected my brain, I can't stop thinking about it and wanting to play it! A mod worthy of stand-alone game.

So that's why I've been unsuccessful in switching to chemlights: I've bound space to fire mode.

Please reinstate the use of space bar for other key bindings, i use it to free look.

Heya, I was asked to add this mod on Six Updater; http://www.six-updater.net/p/support.html#comment-506696293

But the first post mentions

(please do not mirror, updated daily)

Would you mind if it's added on SU anyway? - I'd argue that SU was born for this ;-)

(Though at daily updates, it's about time I finish mod authors managing their own mods on the network :P)

Thanks

Edited by Sickboy

Heya, I was asked to add this mod on Six Updater; http://www.six-updater.net/p/support.html#comment-506696293

But the first post mentions

Would you mind if it's added on SU anyway? - I'd argue that SU was born for this ;-)

(Though at daily updates, it's about time I finish mod authors managing their own mods on the network :P)

Thanks

Would love to have people mirroring and/or launchers - but with the need for updates and bandwidth requirements I don't think they can keep up. One of our guys wrote a launcher actually, but it became a real pain updating it especially for critical hotfixes.

A new issue is bandwidth, I've churned out over 500 GB in four days, off my (paid) mediafire account. Do you have the Bandwidth to cover that? We've had over 3000 unique players in a week, logging over a year in gametime - assuming no growth in players beyond this, it could creep into the terabytes for a month.

Would love to have people mirroring and/or launchers - but with the need for updates and bandwidth requirements I don't think they can keep up. One of our guys wrote a launcher actually, but it became a real pain updating it especially for critical hotfixes.

A new issue is bandwidth, I've churned out over 500 GB in four days, off my (paid) mediafire account. Do you have the Bandwidth to cover that? We've had over 3000 unique players in a week, logging over a year in gametime - assuming no growth in players beyond this, it could creep into the terabytes for a month.

Thanks for response.

Although 500 GB would be doable (we're hosted worldwide on several locations; SU official and Community provided mirrors),

Six Updater deploys delta patching technology, that means that SU only transfers changed bits and bytes.

Very useful with frequent changes ;) (For more info check http://www.six-updater.net/p/about.html)

I would be happy to give it a go, and also provide assistance to deal with comfortably joining the server with the Mod if you like.

The zombie fast movement reminds me of Benny Hill skits.

Watch a Benny Hill skit and then put that classic music in your head as you run from the zombies. Funny.

Added to Six Updater Network.

2yvv67o.png Direct Download | Mod info

@Rocket:

How could I best subscribe to the updates so I can keep them in sync? I suppose the Twitter? Otherwise this would be the place to notify if you like: http://www.six-updater.net/p/support.html

You can link to your servers from webpages through: sixupdater://server=ip:port which could aid SU users finding and joining your servers.

If you need more control, like also include TeamSpeak server details, have users either auto-join, or at least manually join TS comfortably, you could setup a custom repo; http://www.six-projects.net/Six_Updater+CustomRepos_Setup.

It could give users comfortable access to all the DayZ servers (http://stats.six-updater.net/mods/nested/84950cc2-8d47-11e1-baaa-001517bd964c?_method=get&associations=queryservers)

In case in need of assistance, please check http://www.six-updater.net/p/support.html and http://www.six-projects.net/wagn/Six_Updater+GroupChat

Next generation SU is in the making, with much better UI/UX etc.

Oh also - is there somewhere I can find the dayz.bikey? :)

Edited by Sickboy

Tried for about 3 hours with my friends so here's some quick feedback.

- Playing with friends, why is it so hard to find each other? It doesn't help that you don't start with a map or compass, and regardless of slot selected you spawn at a random place. Most of our time was spent suiciding/running around just to find each other in frustration.

- Respawn after death, I've waited a good 3 minutes but nothing happened. Though, if you abort and select a slot again it works.

- Zombies, they run so awkward that it's so hard to shoot them. I know it has something to do with ArmA 2's awful animations, but they make random 90 degree turns at full speed which makes them impossible to shoot. Are they cheetahs or zombies? I think you've tried to give them a flanking behaviour but it isn't creating immersion, but frustration.

- Zombie spawning. Why is it so unpredictable? We were quietly sweeping a village, and deemed it was safe after a few encounters only to be swarmed with zombies on top of us. At least make them come from a long distance so we have time to run away. Currently you can neither run or fight your way, it's a death sentence. It's also not immersive to have a huge group of zombies pop out of nowhere, ruining your 3 hours worth of game.

- Zombies run faster than you, yet they can never hit you while running. You can actually run the whole map with 50 zombies behind you, creating a funny exploit that is bringing hordes of zombies to spawn areas.

- More zombie behaviour types please. Give some zombies more health but make them slower, you can actually randomize this. Not all undead should be able to outrun healthy survivors.

- There are no objectives other than surviving. After you get some weapons food/drinks there's not much else to do and it gets boring quick. Maybe you can make it so we have to reach a "Rescue zone" some distance into the mainland? If you don't really want an objective based mission, then you can let players fortify positions and even set up small encampments. You can also give players small objectives like possibility of having a car/truck. I've seen car parts scattered around the houses, but there's no instructions how to use them.

- Give more reason for players to stick to each other, rather than killing each other. We've played on the Russian server and most people were busy killing each other getting quick loot rather than working together for survival. You can also allow "barter" between players so equipment can be traded without violence.

- For the love of god, please allow me to turn down foliage more. Chernarus is heavy on computer and not being able to turn details down kills my performance. 3 hours with 19 FPS wasn't really a nice experience.

- Equipment, implement a more reliable way to get them. Putting them randomly in houses ensures people who join the game late don't get the rifles etc. because others have already taken them. It's also painful to search every house, only to find a shotgun neatly place in a toilet. You can put NPC "stores" who sell them for quests/money, or put them in open stores that can be run by players.

For an early alpha, it's impressive. Though, I found it lacking atmosphere, accesability and longevity I've expected from it's popularity.

Edited by Rak

6 updater would be excellent for this mod, with the amount of updates it receives it is perfectly suited to 6!

Edited by cm.

Apparently I cannot get the mod to work. I downloaded all of the files, installed them in my @DayZ\Addons folder, load it up, but when I join a server I select a slot, load the game, see the slot menu again and then get stuck in the receiving data screen???

Is it normal when I load up the mod, the main menu is nothing but skies/clouds?

+ I see the servers run @CBA and @JayArma2Lib as well. Where do I get these files, if i need them?

Edited by dunnobe

* What's up with the crossbow? It shoots quite a lot higher from the ADS. Dunno about crosshair + crossbow cos EU servers don't enable it (which is good). Some of the arrows get stuck to mid air as well :-/

* Is there any Melee weapons yet?

- Playing with friends, why is it so hard to find each other? It doesn't help that you don't start with a map or compass, and regardless of slot selected you spawn at a random place. Most of our time was spent suiciding/running around just to find each other in frustration.

wwwDOTarmedassaultDOTinfo/index.php?game=1&cat=news&id=2711

Links to high-res maps of Chernarus :)

- Respawn after death, I've waited a good 3 minutes but nothing happened. Though, if you abort and select a slot again it works.

+1

- Zombies, they run so awkward that it's so hard to shoot them. I know it has something to do with ArmA 2's awful animations, but they make random 90 degree turns at full speed which makes them impossible to shoot. Are they cheetahs or zombies? I think you've tried to give them a flanking behaviour but it isn't creating immersion, but frustration.

Agree about the frustration to an extent, but I think that certain emotion is evoked purposefully by design. I believe Rocket intended to make them hard to hit to make us all frustrated.

- Zombie spawning. Why is it so unpredictable? We were quietly sweeping a village, and deemed it was safe after a few encounters only to be swarmed with zombies on top of us. At least make them come from a long distance so we have time to run away. Currently you can neither run or fight your way, it's a death sentence. It's also not immersive to have a huge group of zombies pop out of nowhere, ruining your 3 hours worth of game.

I like the risk of having zombies appearing out of nowhere. It adds tension and suspense. But I agree with them appearing right next to you. Perhaps they can spawn within a certain radius of the town and close in.

- Zombies run faster than you, yet they can never hit you while running. You can actually run the whole map with 50 zombies behind you, creating a funny exploit that is bringing hordes of zombies to spawn areas.

Also, they are terrible with stairs! Easy to get away from them by using stairs.

- More zombie behaviour types please. Give some zombies more health but make them slower, you can actually randomize this. Not all undead should be able to outrun healthy survivors.

+ 1

- There are no objectives other than surviving. After you get some weapons food/drinks there's not much else to do and it gets boring quick. Maybe you can make it so we have to reach a "Rescue zone" some distance into the mainland? If you don't really want an objective based mission, then you can let players fortify positions and even set up small encampments. You can also give players small objectives like possibility of having a car/truck. I've seen car parts scattered around the houses, but there's no instructions how to use them.

+1

- Give more reason for players to stick to each other, rather than killing each other. We've played on the Russian server and most people were busy killing each other getting quick loot rather than working together for survival. You can also allow "barter" between players so equipment can be traded without violence.

"Some men just want to see the world burn." I treat the simulation like the Hunger Games. I run into the woods. Stay away from large cities. Be careful of who you trust. Live off the land.

- For the love of god, please allow me to turn down foliage more. Chernarus is heavy on computer and not being able to turn details down kills my performance. 3 hours with 19 FPS wasn't really a nice experience.

+1

Tried for about 3 hours with my friends so here's some quick feedback.

That's part of the fun of this game--being separated, having to get your bearings and try/fight your way through in hopes of finding a familiar face. Being torn away from loved ones and friends while not knowing if you will ever see them only to end up joining a band of survivors and possibly meeting a friend eventually all adds to the wonder of this mod and its atmosphere. If you are looking for something more easy, perhaps this is not the game/mod for you and your friends. Perhaps L4D might be more befitting...I dunno. But I hope they don't change it. It's annoying and frustrating, but that's what makes it an adventure and all about survival and uncertainty.

Yeah a bit annoying, but this is an Alpha still. This is all rather complex and not sure if this can be eventually fixed or not. It's easy to just go back out to the lobby and hit ok. If you are sitting there for 3 minutes, just go the fast and easy way of just going back to the lobby and hitting OK again. :)

LOL! Yeah I'm still trying to hone my skills with shooting them as they move. Right now I have to wait until they are punching me before I can aim for the head. :p

- There are no objectives other than surviving.

Welcome to the zombie apocalypse...that's the point--fight to survive. Not only against zombies but against humans and our unpredictable nature as well. ;)

You can also allow "barter" between players so equipment can be traded without violence.

People do it plenty of times. Sometimes they just kill for what they need or just want. Seriously, people can't seem to want to grasp this is exactly the uncertainty we would face in real life. I mean hell, look at what happens during just natural disasters--people helping each other but also killing, raping and pillaging too sadly. Why do people insist on neutering the harsh reality that we are fully capable of being psychotic, trolling, blood thirsty assholes just as much as being super kind and friendly. :confused: :eek:

It would be pretty awesome though to collect metal and wood and be able to allow you and your group to fabricate barricades to protect themselves inside buildings and such so you can stockpile supplies and stuff and not have some guy casually walking in when you are busy or disconnected, etc. It then forces people to plan approaches, etc.

....or put them in open stores that can be run by players.

Oh God no, please no....then it'll only end up resulting in a bunch of immature kids running the stores. If anything, I'd say do it only if the players in charge of the store are actual admins and/or part of the mod team to ensure fairness. Otherwise, those player run stores are going to result in armed robberies, because no one is going to put up with a 12 year old trolling 'em for supplies. :p

For an early alpha, it's impressive. Though, I found it lacking atmosphere, accesability and longevity I've expected from it's popularity.

Fair enough. To each their own opinions. Perhaps some additions like side missions and such like you mentioned might actually be a cool idea! Maybe like radio messages from somewhere and you and your group have to decide whether to trust it enough to check 'em out or something? I dunno. You might be onto something the more I think about it. Hopefully the mod team will consider such possibilities in the future.

But overall, I love the atmosphere and psychological aspect of this mod and how you don't want to pull that trigger but forced to and feel really and sincerely horrible or sometimes even hell bent on revenge. It really makes you face what you are truly capable of as a human being. Love how it feels so The Walking Dead-esque too.

Rocket,

I just want to say that this mod is the structure of what I, and a lot of my friends, consider to be a perfect zombie/survival game. This mod can generate so many emotions in one play through. It forces you to think like a game of chess, your actions have consequences or reward - but you aren't funneled into just two choices, in fact the choices are near infinite. You can have a great sense of reward but have it dashed in fear and horror, or even anger. Other players are the ultimate wild card, always keeping it interesting. When I first heard about games like Left for Dead or Stalker, I wanted it to be like this game so bad. I just want to say, well done sir. Really well done.

I am not sure what your plans are, but I do want to say that if you ever need donations or have plans to do a kickstarter fundraiser (like wasteland 2) for a standalone, you will be receiving a donation from me - and many others I can imagine. Or convince your co-workers to streamline this into ARMA 3, build up some dedicated in-game features and models and offer it as a pay-for DLC. It will make money.

Lastly, like everyone else I have an opinion and just wanted to share what I think would make this mod that much better. But again, so far everything has been awesome. I have a very limited idea of the coding and scripting functions in ARMA, so half of these ideas are probably impossible or very difficult. Feel free to laugh them off if you want.

Party-System and "Safe Areas"

I am sure the party system, or something like that is in the works or being thought of. I think what is important here is to structure it so that it can be fluid within a server but semi-permanent across servers. So I can join and leave the group as I please within game, but if I join one server with friends we can move to another and still be within the same party. To me this still allows for betrayal and uneasiness with just adding as many people to a group, but still a little bit of structure so that you have some semblance of a group. I guess what I am worried about with the party system is you will just have giant platoon sized armies of 20-30 players who throw off the current balance of the game so much that there is no longer a risk/reward factor. 10 or less seems like a good number. Think walking dead, any time they get a lot of members bad things happen to cull the population. All of the other intricacies (party identity, appearance, communication) is pretty standard I would imagine.

Every group needs a home base. I think you guys did a great job with the tent and campfire elements. To me that is all that is really needed. A way to store supplies permanently across servers in one location. I know we can all think of what could be (barricades, bunkers, watchtowers, fences,...) but I think that is mostly cosmetic for the time being.

Another easier option might be to stop spawning of zombies if a certain player threshold is met. For instance, a group of clan mates and I basically pacified a small town - nothing big that included a grocery store, airbase, hospital or firehouse. Just about a dozen buildings and one enterable one. It would be great if we could basically call this town our own until we leave or other survivors challenge our claim. This alongside the permanent tent's would be great. I am not sure if you could make this semi-permanent as I can imagine other players could just go to a different server, control the town, and then switch over to our server and essentially be spawning on top of us. So maybe it's just server side, this would also stop groups from being able to control a town for too long. If a town to is too much, even being able to takeover one of the scattered farmhouses in the middle of nowhere would be nice.

Weapons and gear

I think how you have it is great. Keep the scoped weapons, they serve a purpose and aren't effective in CQB. Everyone complaining about being shot by one are doing a poor job of sticking to cover or hiding. This game should be more difficult until you get more supplies, simple as that.

Some other things that might really be great are ways to booby trap or set off alarms. For instance, if I killed a cow and had a tripwire and hand grenade in my inventory I could set something up that will explode if other players tried taking the meat (me as well I guess). This and maybe some tripwire road flares. This way if a group of people set up camp, they can set up a few flare traps and feel a little bit more secure.

Vehicles

Again, I like how you guys make them extremely rare and valuable. We are a group of survivors, not pilots, tank commanders. People always complain that it takes to long to run around, but everyone I have played with has gotten use to it after a couple hours.

PVP and Morale system

I think what you are implementing is a great step. Not to punish, but simply make players choices have consequences either good or bad. Along side a bandit player model, it might be nice to have a standard "survivor" model and a model that is intended to be friendly. Maybe something as simple as a difference colored hat, scarf, or shoulder patch. This is really more dependent on the mechanics of the game I guess.

I do like how you have removed the ability to identify people from afar, its unrealistic. But if you have a set of binoculars and are watching a survivor move into town, it would be nice to see if they are a standard survivor, bandit, or something more friendly. The ability regain humanity, lose it, or be more neutral depending on your actions would also be nice.

Map

I don't know if you have plans to create a custom map, but I think this mod would thrive if the land was created with it in mind. There are some great player made islands that balance city, forests, meadows, with rivers and streams. With the need for water in this game, having inland rivers or streams would be extremely helpful.

Zombies

Love how the zombies change from classic to 28 days later on detection. I can see the zombie speed argument both ways, its a balance between challenging and realistic.

I would say, that if there is a way to make it so ALL buildings don't spawn zombies that would be helpful but maybe difficult. Basically I would love to come across a small farm house and it not be overrun by 8 zombies even if I am 3km's from the nearest city.

This could also work well with there being a small% of zombies roaming the countryside. Right now when you make it out of a town, a player knows they are safe from zombies. I think if there was even a very very small chance that they could run into one outside of a town it would make people more cautious and not just run on autopilot.

Just my thoughts, have plenty more but I think you guys are kicking ass. I think this mod is going to explode in popularity even more, please turn to the community before limiting or shutting down. It is already so great, but has so much potential too.

Edited by Phisher34

Nice replies, Yokhanan!

A couple other points:

The space bar thing is really only useful if players are using the default binds. Many of us have the space bar bound to something else! As I have been binding the space bar to "jump" for many years, in games that have it, it was only natural for me to bind it to "Step Over" in the Arma series. Took me awhile to figure out that it wasn't Step Over that was broken, it was the space bar itself! Now one of my most used keys (across all games) is useless.

I'd love to see dynamic weather and the occasional fog in this mod. I'm probably sounding like a broken record on this one but fog to zombies is like milk to cookies or frosting to cake, IMHO. Rain and the occasional lightning would make night time that much more creepy, the occasional rain shower in daytime would just make the mod that much more realistic feeling and thus immersive. Could even be used as a fire-building flag.

Smoothing out distribution: The occasional zombie spawning in the wilderness would be great! More animals to hunt and eat would be good too. Maybe spawn more gear in the wilderness areas as well. "Hunting knife" is not common enough, a good knife should be present in most houses (or equipped from the start). Matches too, the same, not enough. In the real world finding a way to start a fire is pretty easy to do around any sort of civilized area. That combined with the fact that we are carrying road flares, from the start, should make fire building much easier.

Would love to see some sort of melee attack in this mod, especially since ammo can be so precious. Many, many videos of people out of ammo, just running around hoping the zombies get tired (which they don't). Run or die, not even a way to knock one back while you reload. I know melee stuff is near impossible with this engine but staying with the classic zombie mindset, being able to use a melee weapon (baseball bat, crowbar, knife, empty weapon, what ever) is sorely missing. Very difficult to pull off, also very high on my personal wish list.

Might be nice to be able to forage for edibles in the wilderness (and gardens) too. Wild roots and berries, garden grown pumpkins, etc. Should be possible to "live off the land", only going to a town for weapons, ammo, and other man made goods. Balance this with a few "free roaming" zombies in the woods, and PvP encounters, and it might feel like a much more open game world. How about "fishing"?

A way to block/lock/jam a door, at least not with only minimal effort, so no one can enter it would be nice. Zombies or other players having to hit a door secured in this way several times before opening it would make fortification more doable. Of course that means that the zombies must first be fixed so they aren't just passing through doors, walls and fences anyway.

I agree with the suggestion that this mod, or a very close relative of it, would be awesome to see in Arma3 and would very likely boost sales ;) Hopefully with more "real" buildings, etc., or even a custom island with more "real" buildings would be nice.

Perhaps a "group" option could be available in the future? Find your friends the old fashioned way and/or team up with someone and then have the option of adding them to your group... or joining theirs. You could have a limit on how many people in a group to keep down large armies from forming but basically I think of this in the re-joining sense... Leave a server, while alive, you currently get to rejoin at the same location you left from. Suppose a "group" option would check to see if anyone in your group is alive on the server and if so, you can rejoin near them instead. If you die you are automatically removed from any group roster and must find them again the hard way ;) None of your group online, maybe you get to spawn where the last LIVE member of your group left from, helping to maintain flow and dynamics of the group.

And just throwing this out there but a dog (rare) might be cool too.

Still loving it!

Edited by Oktyabr