Sign in to follow this  
rocket

DayZ Zombie RPG (Unofficial Mod) Alpha

515 concurrent players now.

Slots are very full, please don't sit of the system AFK and hold other people from gaming :) Remember you can log on to any available server with the same character. 2 new US 50 slot servers have just opened up.

Am I just lucky or is the hostile player thing a little exaggerated?

I was lucky too until the same hidden guy killed me 3 times in a row in the same town at night...

When you are playing coop with other people it's annoying because you have to find the group again and sometimes takes a good while, but that's life i guess, just make a group of vigilantes find the **** and give him justice.

Im salivating just thinking how this beauty will play on A3 engine...

humanity system?i dont like to be shoot from behind but what you expect in a post apocalyptic world? all humans go on picnic together happily ? i dont think ;)it sound very arcade and this is sandbox, so why our aspect would change if we shoot at humans? its like make a marker over our head saying i'm bad so kill me fast or i kill you,this would break the nice realistic thrilling and scary feeling of the game.maybe some safe camps(where bandits cant join) to store items and having a bit of protection even from zombies would make life easier for non bandits ppl.you can find other way to solve this but pls dont do that.btw is just my opinion and i hope my post help you in any way.thx guys to make this cya in game ;)

Guys I know its kinda long, but this story will prove to you that people are still doing good things during the apocalypse...

Last night I had the best run yet on a US server!! Heres my story:

I spawned in Kamenko, and immediately made my way east towards Cherno. When I entered the city, I searched a few houses and was lucky enough to find an AK47 and an AK74u, both with 2 mags each. During my expedition however, I was swarmed by zed and one attempted murderer. After the threat was neutralized, I was left with 900 blood and no medical supplies. Night was quick approaching and there was no sign of survivors. I made my way through the refinery, and to the hospital located across the street from the apartments.

And there I waited..for 2 hours. It was then that I heard rumors of survivors in the church. This was confirmed as I saw light coming from the top of the building. At this point I was losing consciousness due to lack of blood, so if I had attracted ANY zombies, I was surely done for.

As I slowly made my way through the streets, carrying two AK's, a 1911 with 8 mags and 6 bags of blood, I was..let's just say scared!

About 100 feet from the church I could hear survivors on VON. I announced my presence and asked how many were inside and what their current situation was. There was one person guarding the door with a revolver and another unconscious on the floor of the church. I immediately began my assesment. I believe the players name was Drew, and he had suffered the same fate as myself. He found refuge in the church along with about 6 others (the others were on a search party for medical supplies).

After performing treatments to the wounded, I proceeded to give them my AK74u, to aid in the defense. After this I made about 4 runs from the church into the center of town to scavenge for these friendlies. By the time all was said and done, I had outfitted them with a Shotgun, DMR, Crossbow and the AK74u. We parted ways and I never heard from them again.

Great times..and it shows that there IS still some humanity out there! I am always a friendly unit, and if you see me dont be afraid to ask for help!

-Justin.Beaver

its like make a marker over our head saying i'm bad so kill me fast or i kill you,this would break the nice realistic thrilling and scary feeling of the game.

I agree, and im the one been killed by other players :)

why take the edge away?

I agree to a point.

Removing the PVP will remove some of the tension, I think limiting PVP kills will work better.

Somthing like a max of 3 Murders per player, 3 strike rule.

This way you are forced to be selective of who you murder, No point in killing someone for a pistol when you have a shotgun.

Punishment for breaking the 3 strike rule could be making all Zombies in 1k radius aware of the murderes position or just a Zombie swarm.

Edited by Telson_VBAU

To clarify:

Not going to remove or even restrict PVP. The intent of this whole mod is to provide you choices, the intent of the planned change (humanity) is to provide some impact of those choices. There's not "punishment" for PvP, but doing alot of PvP will cause your character model to become a "bandit" model. This will make you recognizable as the type of role you have taken on. Your choice in the world is whether you want to retain your humanity, or whether you want to survive. The two are not mutually exclusive, but sometimes you come to a situation where you will need to make a choice.

My whole intent, with the entire game mode, was to make a situation where real human emotions are forced out and experienced - both the good and the bad. My experience in the military taught me sometimes the most rewarding moments come when things were the hardest, when terrible things happened, but they were overcome. My key intention was to make something very brutal, almost cruel, for those like me (I'm the kinda guy who always turns the difficulty right up to max) who want to experience real human emotion (be it absolute frustration, defeat, anger - through to happiness and excitement).

I guess what I am saying, is it has not been about "gameplay balancing" (which is not my best area), but about forcing the player to make choices, some of which are cruel, some of which are not balanced at all, and some of which can easily lead to no win situations. In fact, I didn't even intend it to feel like a game. I prefer the term "anti-game" because I've broken many of the "rules" of gameplay. But personally, I think that's why it is enjoyable even in its very broken and basic state.

snip

Thanks, its creating the perfect atmosphere imo.

I don't know about this disdain for other players you guys talk about.

Just began playing today and have met 3 different people and non were hostile.

I ran into one guy and we just kind of back stepped away from each other and went separate paths, another guy I saved from some zombies and we traveled for a bit, and one other guy I yelled at him from around a corner and we both came out and agreed to trade with each other.

Am I just lucky or is the hostile player thing a little exaggerated?

You just started playing TODAY. Wait until nightfall when any source of light you might have will make you an easy target. Nighttime can be much more brutal. I almost always find friendlies to team up with but likewise there is almost always at least a few #$@%@#s out there too. Be careful.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

To clarify:

Not going to remove or even restrict PVP. The intent of this whole mod is to provide you choices, the intent of the planned change (humanity) is to provide some impact of those choices. There's not "punishment" for PvP, but doing alot of PvP will cause your character model to become a "bandit" model. This will make you recognizable as the type of role you have taken on. Your choice in the world is whether you want to retain your humanity, or whether you want to survive. The two are not mutually exclusive, but sometimes you come to a situation where you will need to make a choice.

My whole intent, with the entire game mode, was to make a situation where real human emotions are forced out and experienced - both the good and the bad. My experience in the military taught me sometimes the most rewarding moments come when things were the hardest, when terrible things happened, but they were overcome. My key intention was to make something very brutal, almost cruel, for those like me (I'm the kinda guy who always turns the difficulty right up to max) who want to experience real human emotion (be it absolute frustration, defeat, anger - through to happiness and excitement).

I guess what I am saying, is it has not been about "gameplay balancing" (which is not my best area), but about forcing the player to make choices, some of which are cruel, some of which are not balanced at all, and some of which can easily lead to no win situations. In fact, I didn't even intend it to feel like a game. I prefer the term "anti-game" because I've broken many of the "rules" of gameplay. But personally, I think that's why it is enjoyable even in its very broken and basic state.

I love the mod and agree with your decisions and your reasons behind them. I only have a couple of questions though... if "player kills" are only registered with an actual kill, as opposed to just shooting someone and letting them bleed out, how will this humanity system help? Secondly has there been consideration given to improving your humanity level? Perhaps by bandaging other survivors? I can't imagine how you are going to get this system to work smoothly but eagerly await the results.

I don't know if it has been mentioned previously because I don't feel like reading 19 pages of this thread. Seeing as how there are no official forums yet I'll post this suggestion here and hope the dev(s) see it: there really needs to be some sort of party system, if at all possible. Trying to link up with my friends has been an absolute nightmare. It should be an option to have people in your party be immune to friendly fire (in the party). I just spent 3 hours moving inland and my friend shot me in the head killing me instantly. Three hours wasted. I'd like to see a revive option as well just in case we get lit up and other members of the party eliminate the threat. It might not be realistic, but it would make the experience much more enjoyable for my friends and I, and probably others as well.

To clarify:

You've done an amazing job so far.

One of the few games, let alone mods that actually makes me feel tense and fearful.

Also I don't know how feasible it is but just throwing it out there:

Some sort of radio system. Be it walkie talkies or whatever so you can communicate through voice chat as a survivor group. It'd be neat if you could choose a bunch of different frequencies and the talkies had a comms radius or something.

Edited by Bonetopick

To clarify:

Not going to remove or even restrict PVP.........But personally, I think that's why it is enjoyable even in its very broken and basic state.

That is how it should be in a nutshell...

It is very frustrating dealing with PVP but those guys do add to the atmosphere and maybe they will need help one day and that will change their ways.... Most of all, it is probably their natural persona anyway…..

This is just one of many stories that are being experienced in the game…….

With this game, you are most likely to find yourself making small groups just to stay alive as the group scavenge for food and weapons to make life a little easier. It is good to see how it brings out the real character of a person as you play as well... People lying, hording food but also people giving as much as they can, to the point that makes them as vulnerable as you.

One scenario, I can across last night, was when a small group of us were exploring the North West Airport. It was dark....very dark... I had just been severely hurt by a zombie attack and was made combat ineffective. I still had my trusty shotgun and I could make out blurry figures of people but really could not tell the difference between humans and zombies, plus I was fainting randomly. Anyway, as I was being lead around the airport, the group happened to see some flares being lit up near the tower. Being incapacitated, I was very reluctant to head that way and made my feelings known to the rest of the group. Curiosity got the better of the group and we decided to have a closer look, figuring we could crouch and avoid any possible contacts, as again, it was dark... very dark.. Also there were stories of a PVP’er moving around that very same Airport. As we got closer, we saw two other players running for their lives being chased by a hoard of about 10 zombies. Out of the 4 of us, 3 (including myself) wanted to fade into the night and leave those two to their fate, knowing that it did not look good but they may survive. Besides, you can convince yourself, if you did not see it …it did not happen. However, one of us spoke up and rallied the group...saying lets help out and started throwing flares and calling for the pair to run towards us, and thus dragging the hoard with them. I dropped to one knee and started hoping..no praying, that I would not lapse into unconsciousness, like I had only a few minutes before. As you could hear that zombies getting closer, I started to make out shapes and was straining my eyes to distinguish zombies from humans… In the end, I just guessed that the two shapes in the front must be that humans and the rest…..ZOMBIES!!!... Taking aim we all started firing and one by one the shapes fell to the ground…. Until only the two remained. The pair came over and thanked us as they thought they were dead. But as luck would have it, they were carrying steaks, and upon hearing that one of us was very low on blood they gave away all of their steaks as I a sign of gratitude or maybe just because some people’s character do show signs of humanity. We chatted for a while and then parted ways.

Without the PVP, the group would not of been as careful and would of just ran towards the fight. We had to make a split second decision and in the end made the right one. This game has excellent atmosphere, and I hate pvp’ers… I hate them more than zombie because the PVP-er has a choice... and the zombie does not..... This is very well done……. Thank you,\.

Edited by gonk

I'm getting a "Battleye: Corrupted Memory #1" every time I connect, I've done EVERYTHING right, and play other mods with SixUpdater all the time, can anyone help me? This happens after I join the server, and pick my character, then it goes to "receiving" and kicks me for the corrupted memory, any help? (I've already reinstalled battleye)

Edited by Owennerd123

At the risk of annoying the die-hard war-simmers; This mod should be included in Arma 3 on release. This survival mode alone will boost the community a huge amount.

I'm a regular on the ACE + ACRE servers, so I've done my time in the tactical servers. To me this mod introduces a whole new game, with the simulation-like difficulty of regular combat.

And to all those complaining of PVP...it is a sandbox survival mode. I thought if any community could understand the variables of surviving, it would be the Arma community. The skin-change is a good compromise, but ultimately shouldn't be necessary. It removes deceit, manipulation, and other social aspects. Any bandit who wants to change his ways after his skin has changed will be instantly rejected/shot by others.

Rocket, this is a masterpiece in the making. Glad to see fellow kiwis making their mark in the industry.

The 1 thing I would change for the sake of playability is restricting zombie spawn locations when players are nearby

Edited by Griffinz

Rocket, this is a masterpiece in the making. Glad to see fellow kiwis making their mark in the industry.

The 1 thing I would change for the sake of playability is restricting zombie spawn locations when players are nearby

I agree with the spawn but really haven't seen it as too much of a problem. You learn to go prone as soon as you spawn anyway. But if something like this were done it might be nice to have some of the zombies spawn in the wilderness areas too. Not a huge amount, but one or two would raise the odds again of crossing the map successfully. As it stands now you are pretty much safe in the wilderness, unless you run into bandits.

Anyone know how to fix this issue:

able to join the server, get to the point where it's receiving data and then eventually it will just disconnect and take you back to the server browser screen

also this pops up no entry config.bin.cfgweapons

Hey can someone please help me - I did the mod correctly and shows it is activated in expansions, but I am getting an error that my chernarous map is deleted? What gives?

I have all Arma 2s by the way..

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:16 ----------

Anyone know how to fix this issue:

able to join the server, get to the point where it's receiving data and then eventually it will just disconnect and take you back to the server browser screen

Same here. Glad it is not just me.

---------- Post added at 21:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

I am running this through Operation Arrowhead. That is where I see the server. Keeps on telling me that I cannot play because of deleted.Cherarous. Any luck? I am on STEAM by the way..

i love the mod and i like the idea of the transform the model of the player if he kill to much survivors

i have and idea to why no put a bunch of soldiers whit biological suits killing everething than they encounter ?

the cleaners can spwan in a town and scan the town an kill all include survivors to :)

whit this the tkillers will have someting to kill or run !

http://www.armedforces-int.com/upload/image_files/M40Soldier-in-smoke.jpg

http://media.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/GEAR_CBRN_Suit_US_Army_lg.jpg

http://api.ning.com/files/O3FnATjGGF6cPGPbb0cPMLU4p1WuJ5ecee2FY3IznWB2R8c2KPbIkWBjeavMXg7P6x-z-37uIxr706R3b*IN*bJqlNJqFzUV/nbc59.jpg?width=750

well is an idea maybe is to dificult to implemet that :(

anyway thanks for the mod i like a lot :)

Edited by sata3d
edit text

To clarify:

The PVP adds a lot of tension to the gameplay, i think you succeeded with those real human emotions and such.

I haven't played it so much yet, but even those few hours i spent in the game were really intense, especially because of the ever-present shadow of possibly hostile player encounter hanging over you at all times.

I was playing together with few friends, trying to help not only to each other, but also other players if they seemed to need it, and each encounter was little bit nervous as you never knew what the other players might do.

One time we were scavenging for equipment around Elektrozavodsk, where we met with few other players who seemed friendly, so we decided to tag along for a bit.

While we were waiting for one of our friend to rejoin with our group, we decided to check out some building near our position, where we found few other players.

They didn't seemed hostile at first, but as we aproached the building, some of them shot at us and told us to stay away, we tried to explain we do not mean harm.

The friendly players, who were with us, were trying to talk to them, started arguing, and as the tension raised, suddenly one of them got shot.

It was very interesting to watch how the situation escalated, and how even the "good" players went from "we wanna help" to "now you gonna pay for this!".

Even i got caught in that emotional state, first i was thinking about leaving, because fighting them was not worth it, but then i felt it would be unjust to leave and let them get away with it.

It ended in a shootout, where both sides suffered heavy loses - me being one of them :)

This uncertainty of other players behaviour, their hidden motives, it really makes huuuge difference.

Now the most interesting part in all of this, is the reason behind of what happened - the fight was totally needless, it wasn't like they are guarding something important that we could steal from them,

it seemed more like a misunderstanding. Maybe they were only cautious, unwilling to risk anything, so they didn't wanted to have anything to do with us, and we made a mistake trying to convince them otherwise.

It makes you afraid of other players more than the zombies.

You do not trust anyone, allways looking over your shoulder - this is completely different from usual PVP where you know on which side everybody is,

there are no sides here, you never know if that firendly player you just met wont turn on you and shoots you in the back while you are not looking.

It is like some sort of sociological experiment.

The PVP factor is very important and should be kept, but i can imagine it must be hard for lone players, without some friends to watch your back, it can be little frustrating.

Also, i witnessed some players made a sport out of killing freshly spawned players, running or driving along the coast, killing whoever spawned there, which is not the fun i am talking about,

but i guess there is not much you can do about that.

Btw. i have an idea:

Could you give players an option to join into a group?

Maybe through action menu, when you get close to other player, you could ask to join his group and the other player could accept or decline your request.

The action menu would appear when close to a group leader (every player is in a "group" even if he is alone).

So, when two single players meet, the one who receives the request and accepts it, would become a group leader.

When a single player meets a group of players, the action menu item would appear only when he gets near to their group leader.

Ofcourse the group leader would need some means to "kick" some unwanted player from his group, and also each player should be able to leave a group if he wishes to do so.

That way players would be able to talk on group channel.

It would help those without their own TS server to stop spamming the global/side chat, and it would make the communication easier anyway.

@KKrzy, are you using Combined Ops though? You may have both ArmA2 and ArmA2:OA, but you may not be running it as Combined Ops. Are you using Steam? When you load into the main menu after starting OA, what ArmA2 logos are at the bottom left? By what you said, you're only launching Operation Arrowhead, which isn't enough to run it since ArmA2 content is needed.

Btw. i have an idea:

Could you give players an option to join into a group?

Maybe through action menu, when you get close to other player, you could ask to join his group and the other player could accept or decline your request.

The action menu would appear when close to a group leader (every player is in a "group" even if he is alone).

So, when two single players meet, the one who receives the request and accepts it, would become a group leader.

When a single player meets a group of players, the action menu item would appear only when he gets near to their group leader.

Ofcourse the group leader would need some means to "kick" some unwanted player from his group, and also each player should be able to leave a group if he wishes to do so.

That way players would be able to talk on group channel.

It would help those without their own TS server to stop spamming the global/side chat, and it would make the communication easier anyway.

THIS

The above would make gameplay a lot smoother. Also, if there was an option to fill up water when you are in the vicinity of ponds. At the moment you need to swim to fill up a water bottle and risk losing your gear due to the "Water Feature." Yes you can drop all your gear before you enter the water (or find a well), but dropping gear can lead to the gear disappearing.

Edited by ekempey

The duping issue should be addressed if possible.

Cause as it is people are able to dupe items easily.