Dwarden

User Monetization of BI's games Audio&Video content(YoutTube,Twitch Partnership etc.)

This is a fascinating discussion, this is the problem for the Film industry currently except their behind the 8 Ball (hehe).

I agree with the licensing of ad-sense videos however I would like to see BIS take on intellectual property in a different way... Perhaps there is money to be made from community content? What if through the collaboration of the community modders and BIS they create a "Community DLC"? a particular project that encompasses all the talent for a unified goal of creating something truly unique and special in the gaming industry.

Just a thought.

Yeah, but this whole issue is specifically concerning people who want to make money from videos. It's not about BIS finding some new way to make money or finding ways for community members to make money.

FACT: There are people who are making, or attempting to make, money off of videos of BIS content.

Problem: There needs to be some legal way for them to do that.

Solution: Require a license, which those users can get in order to monetize their videos.

What's so wrong about that?

It's not about BIS finding some new way to make money or finding ways for community members to make money.

just slight correction, this may not be true if You making the amount over 1k/month, hence why it needs new individual license ...

we're trying to be fair for these who make it for free and then split between these who do it for small profit or for serious profit

just slight correction, this may not be true if You making the amount over 1k/month, hence why it needs new individual license ...

we're trying to be fair for these who make it for free and then split between these who do it for small profit or for serious profit

Surely you should be paying them, if they are making 1k a month out of video's showing your game / engine then you are probably getting 10's (or 100's) of k per month of free advertising.

G

This "regime" is actually a positive initiative. It gives Let's Players, Machinima people and others an alternative to get some money back for their time.

Edited by sparks50

This "regime" is actually a very positive initiative. It gives Let's Players, Machinima people and others an alternative to get some money back for their time.

Aren't they already? BIS isn't thinking about Machinima, they are thinking of their own coffers. Which they should ofcourse, only that all the bloody let's plays out there are free advertising for all those games. BIS could just look at it as paying for advertising, and they wouldn't have to spend a dime on it. Further, the more and broader the audience, the more potential for customers... This is advertising guys! You're just making a regime that eventually everybody will leave out because they can't bother the bureaucracy.

PS! I don't do let's play, I don't plan to do let's play - I just enjoy them - and buy the games!

PS2! Ever heard of Minecraft. Like that would happen if it wasn't for youtube????

ZNorQ

The Minecraft terms of use says that you're free to do whatever you want with screenshots and videos of the game, as long as you don't rip art from it. This may partly explain why there are so many Minecraft Lets plays on Youtube. So its interesting that you bring up a game with kind of a similar deal.

Edited by sparks50

Is BIS getting any money from the user (which made the video) with this?

Or this is just legal stuff for the users that made the videos to legally get the money from Ads ?

Or both?

Is BIS getting any money from the user (which made the video) with this?

NO unless you make more than 1000€

Or this is just legal stuff for the users that made the videos to legally get the money from Ads ?

YES

note: you don't need re-edit and reupload already uploaded videos, you will lose Your YT view counts etc.

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

YES

nobody said anything about charging, that's up to individual license terms ...

Edited by Dwarden

I wasn't even thinking about people making that much.... Serious profit never crossed my mind.

Aren't they already? BIS isn't thinking about Machinima, they are thinking of their own coffers. Which they should ofcourse, only that all the bloody let's plays out there are free advertising for all those games. BIS could just look at it as paying for advertising, and they wouldn't have to spend a dime on it. Further, the more and broader the audience, the more potential for customers... This is advertising guys! You're just making a regime that eventually everybody will leave out because they can't bother the bureaucracy.

PS! I don't do let's play, I don't plan to do let's play - I just enjoy them - and buy the games!

PS2! Ever heard of Minecraft. Like that would happen if it wasn't for youtube????

ZNorQ

Surely you should be paying them, if they are making 1k a month out of video's showing your game / engine then you are probably getting 10's (or 100's) of k per month of free advertising.

G

it's no free advertising, they make a cash on our content, not just theirs creativity

consider it like mixing up music, mixing/rehashing movie content, all that if generates profit usually needs license/IP owner approval

anyway once again i suggest everyone to read the original post, read the document and read all my answers ...

absurd construct about conspiracies shall go into offtopic

YES

note: you don't need re-edit and reupload already uploaded videos, you will lose Your YT view counts etc.

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

nobody said anything about charging, that's up to individual license terms ...

Thank you, that clears up everything.

I first thought that monetization (Im not YT partner) was something like 1 cent per view (lol), but then I hear that somebody have to click the Add in the video, and nobody does that, and you cant tell your friends to do that neither, and since I only have like 180 subscribers, it doesnt even worth for me :( anyway, it was only to support a little bit our server :s

again @carlgustava you don't understood the license term nor the subject ...

media subjects are approved to use what we release via press releases and press channels ...

which You obviously not aware of theirs existence at all nor of existance of press-kits

etc.

Thread cleaned up.

Please only comment if you have specific comments or questions about the Partnership Program. This thread is to announce the program, to explain it, and to aid users in understanding and using it. This is not discussion about the commercialization of the internet at large.

Hi all

Case 1) No money make. Therefor no worry have.

Case 2) Use BIS program as tool to earn Money: Therefor Is a Business: Therefor must have a Business License. Dotting "i"s and crossing "t"s of doing Business. Its on the web as an AV, so your income is reported by Youtube or whoever, as they report all their payments to your national the tax office, and employ lots of people just to do to this; so they can claim you as a business expense! So you have to tell your national tax man, any way. (dependent on what you can earn before having to declare for tax)

Case 3 Use BIS program as tool to earn more than 1000 Dollars or Euros a month: Therefore is a succesful Business: So time to speak to BIS about License, probably, give BIS a cut, let BIS approve content as it is influential on their products market, and maybe do some work for/with BIS. Happy Grin time. If you are paying for a license as a percentage or whatever license model BIS choose, then you want to declare any payments made to BIS as a business cost as it comes off your profit and you can only be taxed on profit! No sense in you paying the tax on money you did not earn!

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Ah hi, I'd like to ask a question about this if I can. I do post youtube videos of ArmA and if its now possible for me to use the monetizing feature of youtube I'd like to.

Maybe this question is better directed at youtube but it is possible for me to use monetizing on BIS videos while at the same time not using it for others. I post videos of many different games and obviously unless they follow what BIS is doing then I cant use monetizing on those videos.

Actually don't answer that, I figured it out myself, I'll be sending you my PDF shortly :).

One more question though, any problem with me somehow sharing this info on my facebook page? I'm always happy to help promote BIS.

Edited by Engioc

Hey guys,

do I need to wait for confirmation by BIS after sending the mail or can I add the disclaimer mentioned in the license to the relevant videos and directly apply for YT monetization? That's unclear for me.

And thanks again for giving us this opportunity :bounce3: .

Edited by Icewindo

2 infractions in the past 3 posts (deleted posts). Some of you need to read the topic and follow the instructions given by a moderator:

Thread cleaned up.

Please only comment if you have specific comments or questions about the Partnership Program. This thread is to announce the program, to explain it, and to aid users in understanding and using it. This is not discussion about the commercialization of the internet at large.

[update]

3 infractions in the past 4 posts (deleted posts). Keep going, we have more than enough infractions left!

Edited by Guest

Hey guys,

do I need to wait for confirmation by BIS after sending the mail or can I add the disclaimer mentioned in the license to the relevant videos and directly apply for YT monetization? That's unclear for me.

And thanks again for giving us this opportunity :bounce3: .

You don't need to wait for us to reply, the must key is fill the form and send it to us ...

so we are aware of You

if You need acknowledge from us please send us another email asking for it explicitly

and define if you need it as document or just email

for some the 'deleted' posts if You read my answer now,

i hope You realize this license approve is huge 'plus' from our company

to make things simpler for these who want to make some $ on a&v monetizing

Edited by Dwarden

I didn't notice any advertisements on the official ARMA 3 Youtube channel. Surely Bohemia Interactive could make some extra money by posting daily tidbits of information about ARMA 3 on their Youtube channel, it would attract plenty of views.

we may use some of the advertising on our channels but only these 'subtle' methods to not annoy users

I wouldn't mind putting up with advertisements in trade for some ARMA 3 news, even if it was only small news. Actually I think most Bohemia Interactive fans would like to help BIS get some extra cash, everyone wins.

I used to have a YouTube account, but deleted it. If I ever start up a new channel, I'll remember this. Can we still fill out the form in advanced if we decide in the future to become a YouTube Partner?