Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Zernovo (GSEP)

The Green Sea Expansion Project (GSEP) presents our second release (Jakerod's entry and the winner of the Terrain Competition): Zernovo.

Some of the feedback from the Terrain Competition Judges:

A Professional-level effort! This is a superb little terrain in the Classic Chernarus / FDF style -Bushlurker [/Quote]
Zernovo is teeming with vegitation and life. Treelines and farms dot the countryside while a wonderfully designed river flows directly through the center. The hills are nice and rolling and really add to the general feel of the island. Movement will always be constricted due to the rivers, hills, and treelines. that's what I love about this terrain. -Kevin [/Quote]
I am outright stunned by this terrain. Everything is done by the book. Roadnets all link up correctly in a way that even AI dares across all bridges in this map.

Keypoint locations are present, which means ALICE and SILVIE are supported by this map. The available objects from Arma 2 were crafted well fittingly into a very nice looking map. Nothing looks out of place, and no location looks like it is missing something. It goes without saying that all present asphalt roads were smoothed correctly, so sudden bumps while riding from town to town are not to be expected. Island cutscenes are working correctly, too.

The satmap deserves a paragraph on its own:

I am definitely impressed by this satmap. The amount of detail brought into it, like all the little paths to doors of houses, small backyards and trails going along roads and leading into remote but interesting locations is simply stunning. I wished more terrains would show this grade of effort, as these details count as much as a fully detailed garden with an upcoming harvest of pumpkins, which this terrain also offers. -Mondkalb [/Quote]

Overall, it's quite flat so maybe wouldn't suit the fly boys, but the dismounted infantry would be at home here in the rolling countryside with some armour support. 5 towns, a river system going north to south with two small, non navigable distributaries heading east. There's a simple rail line running north-south in the west of the map that's been thoughtfully designed. No airfields or runways. -Tankbuster [/Quote]
From a mission maker’s point of view Zernovo is an excellent piece of terrain. It is relatively flat, thus offering a different challenge than maps dominated by high ground. The streams that divide the map have plenty of bridges that provide good chokepoints and are valuable mission objectives. The numerous enterable buildings that are spread all over are also an added attraction for missions. -Sander [/Quote]

Download Links:

Zernovo v1.0 (Armaholic)

Zernovo v1.0 (Armed Assault Info)

Zernovo v1.0 (Mediafire)

Will update with mirrors as they become available.

Requirements: ArmA II and Operation Arrowhead

Please post any bugs or recommendations on these forums for the time being.

Version 1.0

The only difference between this one and the one entered into the competition is that I updated the tag from xyz to gsep. I'm hoping to get around to improving the satellite map.

Information

Zernovo is a farming region in Central Chernarus.

Behind the Scenes

The map is centered around a river I found in Germany near Frankenfeld. I thought it had an interesting shape so I decided to make the river on my map the same basic shape only running north to south and with a few minor adjustments. I decided on farmland because at the time I had been working on Miroslavl' for several weeks doing a large city and was kind of sick of it (especially sidewalks). During the testing phase my brother and I found it to be a lot of fun assaulting across Pegas Bridge into Katov. The layout of Pegas Bridge and the surrounding buildings is based on Pegasus Bridge from Close Combat: The Longest Day. We also rather enjoyed attacking the town of Zernovo from the south.

Edited by Jakerod

This looks great Jakerod and congratulations on the win! Does this terrain have a specific place on the Chernarus map like the other GSEP projects?

Not really. I just pictured it being kind of towards the center. West of Miroslavl' somewhere. I suppose that in that sense it is beneficial for map makers because they can kind of say it is wherever they need it to be.

Sweet, downloading it now. Thanks for the great work!

Yeah congrats Jakerod. You terrain makers are really awesome. Thanks for this new terrain and for all your hard work and effort.

cheers

Jake, can I just say it was a privilege to see this map and try it out. It really is a top piece of work.

I don't know if you read any more of the comments we made when we were judging this, but perhaps I could make 2 points?

The bridges - more specifically, how they cross the rivers. Sometimes the bridge abutments are right in the middle of the stream, making river passage difficult. The bridge east of Avdon is fine, but the other bridges on the main river are interrupted by the bridge. Pics below.

tUq7hl.jpg

rGNe8l.jpg

Also, I noticed that the rivers extended further north and south outside of the 4km limit that was set by the competition. I was wondering if you had plans to extend this at all?

Jake, can I just say it was a privilege to see this map and try it out. It really is a top piece of work.

I don't know if you read any more of the comments we made when we were judging this, but perhaps I could make 2 points?

The bridges - more specifically, how they cross the rivers. Sometimes the bridge abutments are right in the middle of the stream, making river passage difficult. The bridge east of Avdon is fine, but the other bridges on the main river are interrupted by the bridge. Pics below.

http://i.imgur.com/tUq7hl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rGNe8l.jpg

Also, I noticed that the rivers extended further north and south outside of the 4km limit that was set by the competition. I was wondering if you had plans to extend this at all?

I tried making those bridges better before I sent it in and I couldn't get them to look right. If I have time I will take a look at it again though.

The continuation of the rivers was more of a infinite terrain thing. I don't plan on extending it but I'm going to try to incorporate the same feel in the areas around the main city on my Miroslavl' map. That one has three rivers and many bridges.

Cool, but moar bridges = major AI butthurt :(

Great to see it released, a damn fine job on this terrain.

Regards,

Sander

Cool, but moar bridges = major AI butthurt :(

Feel free to ignore the island, then you don't have to deal with the 'major AI butthurt'. Have you tried it actually? I only experienced little problems with one of the bridges, other than that the AI always were crossing them with no or only few problems.

Definitely one nice terrain with a lot of little details, I almost immediately fell in love with the rivers crossing the terrain.

Congratulations on your win! A Terrific job indeed!!

This was a delightful terrain to wander about on...! If it had come in a DLC from BIS billed as an extension of Chernarus I'd've believed it in an instant... Captures the atmosphere of rural Cherno perfectly, with the river as a wonderful added bonus - both strategically and aesthetically...

Brilliant stuff!

The reason Tanky's upset with the bridges is 'cause he wants to go boating! :D - me too!

A single arch span would be a little narrow for the river.... it might work... and allow navigation...

Whatever you decide - use whatever technique you used before to line the bridges up with the roads! they were absolutely 100% right on the money! The AI rode the bridges like they were on rails - every time I tried, wandering civs, ambient civ vehicles, and ordering a footsquad... no problems at all...

Great stuff all round mate!

Hoping to see a mission or two emerge for this one!

B

I wasn't upset! I struggled for ages to find something about this terrain that wasn't lovely! :) I too found the AI breezed over the bridges - no problem.

Awesome release, has the perfect rural atmosphere, cant wait to see more GSEP Projects :)

Hoping to see a mission or two emerge for this one!

Hmmm I may have to set Zernovo alight then with WAR :)

Really, really nice island this. Spent a good couple of hours flying round tonight. Yeah, the bridges aren't perfect if you like boating at the weekend, but they don't half look nice! It kind of felt like Chernarus' more peaceful cousin! That is until Krem unleashes Battlezone on it!

Very Impressive!.

The CDF thanks you as it now has a new training area to play in

Nicely done, Jakerod.

Quick question - where exactly on the map o' Cherny is Zernovo?

I didn't really have anywhere in mind when I made it other than central Chernarus. I didn't want to make it obvious that it was supposed to be Chernarus because it might have given away who made it in the competition and that was against the rules. Looking at the map now though I would say North-East of Kirovograd. I figure the river is small enough that it could run into the Burnaya.

Hmmm I may have to set Zernovo alight then with WAR :)

+1 :yay:

Also with regards to the AI and bridges I threw down some DAC zones on this map yesterday and let it run and found that the units had ZERO issues with crossing the bridges.. in fact the motorized units didn't even slow down!! AWESOME!!