Sign in to follow this  
mcnools

Aliabad Region WIP (New terrain!)

Thanks for all the compliments guys! Really motivates me to get this done! :)

Thanks for all the compliments guys! Really motivates me to get this done! :)
All of your maps have a permanent place in my addon directory, looking forward to this one as well!

Hazar-kot is for me THE best free addon map in term of quality...That's why I feel very happy since I know McNools will give us another great map...Can't wait!!

Like your attention to detail as always.

Definitely looking forward to this!

Just reporting in to say that I've made a lot of progress today. I'm almost done with most of the vegetation, then I'll move on to adding more rocks and additional detail, aswell as a few more compounds and ruins. Then it's on to polising the satmap and adding names and such, and then, beta-testing. Moving ahead of schedule at the moment, but work is usually a lot slower during the weeks. Looking forward to sharing this with you all, I feel the quality is better than Hazar-Kot so far, since I learned a lot making it.

Better Quality than Hazar-Kot? Oh boy this is going to be even better than I thought. Put me on the list for testing if you would not mind. Keep up the great work McNools.

Just reporting in to say that I've made a lot of progress today. I'm almost done with most of the vegetation, then I'll move on to adding more rocks and additional detail, aswell as a few more compounds and ruins. Then it's on to polising the satmap and adding names and such, and then, beta-testing. Moving ahead of schedule at the moment, but work is usually a lot slower during the weeks. Looking forward to sharing this with you all, I feel the quality is better than Hazar-Kot so far, since I learned a lot making it.

Nicely! :D

Another update: Not much left before the closed beta now. I'm adding a couple of more buildings, some satmap-editing is yet to be done (not that much though), and I have to name villages and places etc. A closed beta might be finished this weekend if I get enough time to work on it (and nothing unexpected happens)

Haha, I suddently felt a lot of pressure! :D I hope you'll like this map as much, I really do.

Edit: Closed beta still on for this weekend I think, just need to put some last touches on it.

Edited by McNools

I'll believe that when I see it. ;) My group hasn't played on any terrain other Hazar-Kot for almost five months. Which is clearly evident here: http://www.youtube.com/user/USMCG0811?feature=mhee

Keep up the great work, Mc.

Haha detcord I never knew that was your channel, always thought those videos were sick. I used the Battle for Marjah video in a talk I did a while ago on counterinsurgency.

Anyway.

Nools, did you add more vegetation and crops in the fields since last alpha?

Anyway.

Nools, did you add more vegetation and crops in the fields since last alpha?

Unfortunatly not, there aren't really any good models to place since the wheat-model for instance doesn't move in the wind, so I assume I'd have to use the clutter-function with some tall grass or such to have moving vegetation in the fields, and I've already reached the limit for surface-types in the farmland-areas. :/ and I prefer to have some open muddy farms with lots of vegetation at the edges, makes for more interesting tactical decisions, and you won't be completely blind (when the AI isn't) in the farmlands, I feel pretty blind there as it is already, haha

(if anyone has advice on getting the wheat-model moving in the wind and such, or another model that does move in the wind and blocks the AI's view I'd love to add it on some fields here and there at least)

Edit: Just updating to let you all know the map has entered the closed beta stage, depending on how it goes there might be a public release sometime in the next 2 weeks or such. :)

Edited by McNools

Can't wait for it to see its first release, I can't tell you enough just how excited I finally am to play on a great desert map with coastline for amphib operations. I'll admit I only downloaded Hazar-Kot for the first time last week but now that I have I can't stop playing on it, it's most defiantly my favorite map, so I can't help but to imagine that this is no different.

One request, do you think you could post an overlay/map-editor view picture of the entire map just to get a feel for it all? I'm really interested in seeing its layout. I scrolled through and didn't see any posts with it just yet...the internet blocker we have here on our internet sometimes removes pictures off the site though so I may have missed it, apologies if that's the case. If not I'd love to see it :)

I'll see what I can do :) I'm not at hope today, but I might be able to take an overview-picture tomorrow if I remember to! :) Thanks for the compliments! I hope you'll like this map as much as Hazar-Kot. Hopefully it can make for some interesting amphib operations, I'm quite pleased with the coastline, there are a lot of nice beaches, but above them are ridges all along the coast, so it's rather dangerous aswell.

Brilliant stuff, could learn a thing or two from you with those screens on Kent map.

Regards Jeza

As per request, two new screenshots, one showing the map in the editor and one showing (most of) the map from up high. :) As you can see, there are a lot more things going on compared to hazar-kot, at least when it comes to roads and buildings, haha. All of the villages are rather small though.

Also, you can see how a large part of the northern coast is a bay-area, the other side of the bay is the empty infinite terrain, so I can't add any details on there, but I guess it could be a good spot to put some mortars or support from troops landing on the shore.

arma2oa2012050111365858.th.jpg

arma2oa2012050111382955.th.jpg

This will be great with MCC using the Garrison action...Throw in some random IEDs. Got yourself a party!

Looks Sierra Hotel (:. Keep it up.

Once again, great video DetCord! thanks a lot. I've also posted some new screenshots that Fox '09 took of the map in Take on Helicopters in the first post, have a look :)

(and metalcraze, I might add some more grass, we'll see)

Well last night I sat down to work on my campaign a little and I was looking for a map with a coast that represented Takistan (My campaign is titled "Takistan, the way it realy happened") Then it hit me, Aliabad by Mcnools. Keep it up man, looking forward to using it.