Sign in to follow this  
*LK1*

freedom for Viktor Bout

And Hitler was democratically elected. This sort of standards-free approach is nothing but an endorsement of immoral realpolitik for whatever economic/political goals are convenient for more powerful countries. Everything's fine, so long as Russia gets to be imperialist too, right?

And many countries dealed with Hitler successfully until he started the war. Friendly speaking, I'd have more calm attitude to him if he hadn't invaded my country. Yes, he did terrible things but he's not first to do them and not last.

And yes, realpolitik rules - just look at Middle East. Absolute monarchies such as KSA, Qatar, Kuwait, live happily and nobody blames them for their politics. They are US/EU allies and that's why nobody cares that people are executed for some words about prophet Muhammad and sorcery there. Everybody says that they have medieval laws but everything ends just with this words, and no any action is done. So why should my country act in other way when everybody else live realpolitik-style?

And many countries dealed with Hitler successfully until he started the war.

Yes. BTW, do the names Molotov & Ribbentrop ring a bell?

Back to topic:

So why should my country act in other way when everybody else live realpolitik-style?

Because everybody else is accountable for it, and criticised about it. Your country as well, but usually those who criticise the other countries aren't murdered like in Russia.

BTW, are you actually saying that committing attrocities is right, because the other kid has done some as well? That's what your logic leads to.

Yes. BTW, do the names Molotov & Ribbentrop ring a bell?

Sure. Just like Munich Agreement.

Because everybody else is accountable for it, and criticized about it. Your country as well, but usually those who criticize the other countries aren't murdered like in Russia.

BTW, are you actually saying that committing atrocities is right, because the other kid has done some as well? That's what your logic leads to.

Who is criticized, I wonder, USA for selling and upgrading F-15s in KSA, or selling F-16 block 52+ to Pakistan, where Talibans feel like at home?

Committing atrocities is what humans do from the beginning of their history. Not Jesus, not Buddha, not Muhammad could make humans better. So for me the only thing to worry about is how to minimize for me and my nearest bad sights of all the unpleasant things humans do.

Sure. Just like Munich Agreement.
There's a difference between appeasing a dictator (Britain saw Hitler as an enemy but hoped that the Sudetenland would be enough for him) and collaborating with him.

You make some other very good points though. The West does play by double standards, though I must add that Russia does this as well. It's how diplomacy works.

Some please tell me who DOESN'T have double standards?

Victor Bout was arrested for selling weapons and inspiring to kill Americans. So now the Russian government can arrest some Americans who sold weapons to Georgia, since they were inspiring to kill Russians? How in the world does UN decide when a weapon sale is legal and when it's not?