Sign in to follow this  
dynia

System requirements/buying advice for new computer

Hej, I'm looking for some hints, because I need a new computer (a notebook). It need not to be a top-notch gaming machine, but I'd like to play Carrier Command: Gaea Mission on it.

Will a machine like the Acer Aspire M3-581TG-72636G52Mnkk do? It has the following specs:

- Intel Core i7 2637M (1.70GHz), 4MB Cache, 17W TDP, Turbo Frequency up to 2.8GHz (low consumption CPU)

- 6 GB DDR3 RAM

- nVidia Geforce GT 640M with 1GB

- WXGA HD (1366 x 768)

- 500 GB HDD + 20 GB SDD

- 15.6", LED Backlight, Diamond View (glare)

Or do I need something like a MSI GT683DXR (with nVidia Geforce GT 570M) or Toshiba Qosmio X770-107 (GT 560M)?

Does anyone know, what the system requirements for mobile components is?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

notebook != gaming pc

Will never work out properly. Folks never understand that.

(I bet we now get a handful of replies of people who have fantastic experiences with their "gaming notebook...)

I know that a notebook isn't the best solution for gaming, but I don't want to buy a big computer. I just need a solution for CCGM and I have no idea, what I need, as I've never played games with complex 3D-graphics.

I'll oblige.

I have an Acer 8943G laptop. 90gb SSD, 750Gb HDD, 1.73GHz i7 Q740, 16Gb RAM, 2Gb ATI 5850, 5.1 surround sound, 18.4" 1920x1080 display, Windows 7 64 bit.

Everything I've thrown at it runs beautifully, and it makes a nice portable gaming machine. It's not perfect, but it's certainly 90% perfect for me. The main issue is the graphics RAM - it's only DDR3 - which means shadows and anti-aliasing run slower than I would like. Acer were too cheap to put GDDR5 on it :(

You will of course get better results out of a proper gaming box. Those are kind of hard to transport though.

[...] but I don't want to buy a big computer. I just need a solution for CCGM and I have no idea, what I need, as I've never played games with complex 3D-graphics.

Do you want to be mobile and play CC anywhere? Or do you jsut want a "small" solution for playing CC?

If you just want to play CC, a normal desktop computer (~400-500 €) should be enough. A notebook that runs CC as good as a small desktop computer will cost probably over 800 euro. CC needs more than 2.5 Ghz CPU... most notebooks are under 2.2 Ghz for power saving/head exhaust reasons. It will be hard to find a "cheap" notebook, that nearly meets CC's minimum requirements.

If you don't play any other games and you have a notebook, keep your old one for working or whatever you do with a notebook, and buy a desktop for playing CC. This will save you money, headache and eyecancer (from notebook grafic chips).

Plus, to build on what NeoArmageddon said, Notebooks don't actually save space on your desk. They're usually a more cluttred solution by the time you have all the cables hooked up, than a desktop PC. In reality, a desktop is just a monitor and a Keyboard/mouse on your desk. The tower goes on the floor, and keeps itself and it's cables out of the way.

Depends on how much your willing to spend personally i'm running

i7 930 @ 2.8

24gb DDr 3 1600

2x 480gtx hydrocoppers

64bit win 7 pro

and a partridge and a pair tree. cant say i have had a single graphic hicup or issue yet