Sign in to follow this  
adamsolo

Mouse lag, FPS problem and system requirements

As reported in other places I also have severe mouse lag, especially on main menu and in-game menus. I removed postprocess and played with the mouse resolution under "Controls" (as suggested in the P&C-BETA-first-impressions thread), and while that seems to have helped a little bit the lag is still unbearable.

The mouse lag seems to be strictly connected with performance and frames-per-second (FPS). I get 25-30 FPS in the main menu (so, that shouldn't be the reason for the laggy mouse there), however I sometimes get 20 or 15 FPS in-game, which is too few to play. With those FPS the mouse lag, and gameplay, are unbearable.

This is all with minimum settings in the "Render" section and 1024 resolution (therefore the minimum settings the game allows you to setup). Now, official system requirements are (as in carriercommand.com/support):

CPU: Intel Core2Duo 2.5Ghz or AMD Athlon Phenom X4 or faster [CHECKED. I have Core2Duo 2.4Ghz though, shouldn't be the major issue]

GPU: Nvidia Geforce 8800GT with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM, or faster [CHECKED, I have 9600M GT with Shader 4.0]

RAM: 2 GB [CHECKED, 3GB here, carrier.exe process takes around 250MB]

HDD: 8 GB free space [CHECKED]

DVD: Dual Layer compatible [N/A]

So, it seems that I should be able to play with requirements to spare. It's evident that there are many others with mouse-lag / FPS issues. System requirements don't seem to be the problem.

I understand that you're probably already looking into this. Any suggestions though?

Thanks!

Edited by adamsolo

game restart after change seems to be important

also i read v-sync change can help

for some users post processing adds lot of mouse lag ... but i think i know what you mean with the mouse lag ... experienced this myself

V-synch should definitely be disabled to improve the mouse response somewhat, but even then there's a lot of mouse acceleration.

I have 9600M GT with Shader 4.0

So you are using a Notebook? Sorry, but you cant compare a desktop graphic card to a mobile one.

8800 GT >> 9600M GT.

I have a 102M in my notebook and have the same mouse lags, even with 640x480 resolution.

Those system requirements are always specified for desktop computers, not notebooks. And that is a huge difference!

(On monday I can finally test CC on my desktop... yay)

So you are using a Notebook? Sorry, but you cant compare a desktop graphic card to a mobile one.

8800 GT >> 9600M GT.

I have a 102M in my notebook and have the same mouse lags, even with 640x480 resolution.

Those system requirements are always specified for desktop computers, not notebooks. And that is a huge difference!

(On monday I can finally test CC on my desktop... yay)

Thanks, you were most helpful. I usually don't play 3D-heavy games, it showed.

Video Card Benchmark (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net)

- GeForce 8800 GT (the one on system requirements) ranks 135 (lower is better) with G3D rating 947 (higher is better)

- GeForce 9600M GT (mine) ranks 395 with G3D rating 334. (it's almost 1/3 !!!...)

By the way, your GeForce 102M ranks 876 with G3D 100 (now that's a poor card).

I suggest other folks to have a look here: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

Probably some of you having mouse-lag issues are really having video card issues, like in my case.

Well, case closed for me. Looks like I need to buy a new laptop (or desktop). Moving to the "System requirements/buying advice for new computer" thread.

Thanks to all that suggested stuff on this thread but the prize goes to NeoArmadedoon.

I did find odd not being able to play Skyrim at 1024 resolution (was playing 800x600 ok though). Now I know why.

Thanks to all that suggested stuff on this thread but the prize goes to NeoArmadedoon.

Thanks, but one "d" is one the wrong place ;)

I just wanted to link the other thread for people reading this topic: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?133214-System-requirements-buying-advice-for-new-computer

And yes, I know my graphics chip in my notebook is very poor. Most time I use it in the lab only. My desktop has a 560 Ti and thats pretty good for every game. At the moment I am saving for a new card (probably Nvidia 6xx) to be ready for A3.

My desktop has a 560 Ti and thats pretty good for every game. At the moment I am saving for a new card (probably Nvidia 6xx) to be ready for A3.

Saving for a new card hum. Is it a GeForce GTX 560 Ti (G3D: 2985) (rank: 14) you have now??? If so, now that's an insane card.

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

Even so, having a Nvidia Geforce 8800GT as system requirement is quite heavy in my opinion. That means only people with high-end cards will be able to play. And the majority of laptop people (like me) can just forget it. Well, that's life many will say. I say, Sins of a Solar Empire, and its new expansion Rebellion (to be released in June 2012), is a beautiful 3D game that requires "only" a GeForce 6800 or better. Now that's something more of my league (and many thousands more). You have time till September to figure it out. The issue is not about optimal performance but about letting people with medium-end machines play your game.

Even so, having a Nvidia Geforce 8800GT as system requirement is quite heavy in my opinion

Thats not quite true. Last month I selled my old 8800 GTX for 20 bucks... its an very old card (3 years is old) thats not worth anything now.

You can get a good card of the current series for under 150 euro.

Is it a GeForce GTX 560 Ti (G3D: 2985) (rank: 14) you have now??? If so, now that's an insane card.

Its not an insane card :D It is a "second edition" of the 560 and it is not even compareable to a "highend card".

It is a transitional solution for me. I needed a card to play Take on Helicopters (my old Geforce 275 GTX was a bit slow) but I wanted to wait for the new Nvidia/ATI series to deployand wait for the first benchmarkes in ArmA2/3.

Thats not quite true. Last month I selled my old 8800 GTX for 20 bucks... its an very old card (3 years is old) thats not worth anything now.

If you had a laptop you wouldn't say the same. That GeForce 8800 GT or (GTX) is much better than the somewhat recent GeForce mobile cards like the 520M, 540M or 550M (I'm not talking about budget laptops here). ATI mobile cards seem to be better though. The solution is not for people to buy a new laptop/desktop to play CCGM but for CCGM to lower the video card requirements if possible.

---------- Post added at 21:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

my old Geforce 275 GTX was a bit slow

Ok, no more talking to you :D

For me the mouse lag seems random, my rig can run it happily at a solid 60FPS (v Sync capped) but when i first launch the game it starts off at 20fps and then goes up to 60fps, it will also randomly drop back down to 20ish fps just sitting at the menu.

in game it is a solid 60 FPS

Looking for some insight before i buy the P&C Beta.

can my system handle this game

My System

amd athlon 5200 dual core running at 2.6 ghz

4 Gb ram

64 bit windows 7

ati radeon hd 4550 1 Gb vram 650 mhz gpu 550mhz gpu memory upgraded cooling

I have HQ AA, everything set to maximum apart from Shadows, set to half.

Runs beautifully!

Shadows on full made the game chop like the original on an Amiga ;) just as I expected.

Tried playing it on my laptop too (specs below). Runs fine for a few minutes on rock bottom settings but then lags terribly after about 5 minutes or so. Going into the render menu and back to gameplay sometimes seems to reset something and play is smooth again for another 5 minutes or so before lagging again. I know it's probably underspec system but thought I would post my experience anyway. Will try it on my desktop next when I get a chance.

Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 2.67 Ghz

4GB Ram (2.99GB Usable)

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS

Sounds like your laptop is over-heating. I've played on a Laptop for 2 years before I got my desktop and I often had similar problems. Especially with newer games. Using thermal packs to cool the laptop sometimes solved the problem^^

I've had limited success running the Beta on systems far, far below the minimum specs.

AMD E350 1.6 GHz, integrated graphics, 8Gb RAM, Win 7 Home 64 bit - at lowest details and resolution it is playably fluid - even one slider above minimum and it's a 1fps slideshow. Surprised it even ran!

AMD X2 4400+ with SLI 6600's, 4Gb RAM, Win XP Pro 64 Bit - doesn't start. Not surprised.

I can't get it to run on any Atom-based XP 32 bit, systems, not surprised.

Tried it on my desktop today and it ran worse than my laptop, very very low fps. I don't use desktop much these days and didn't realise the specs were so dated...

AMD 1.7ghz

1GB Ram

Geforce 7600 GT 256mb ram

Guess I really need to upgrade to play. I don't know whether to upgrade graphics card and maybe ram or just save long term for a new system.

I'm considering this card for €63 http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGT430DI1GD3LP/ and maybe more ram. Can I get away with this and not upgrading cpu? My motherboard is pci 1.0 and the new graphics cards are 2.0 so not sure if upgrading the card will be a significant improvement.

In your situation I'd only keep the case, HDD and maybe the PSU when it's a good one. I'd swap everything else - mainboard, RAM, CPU, GPU. That rig is really dated.

Be careful deactivating vsync, if I do it I obtain a lot of FPS but the GPU work 100% and the card temp go up, I can hear the card's fan system working hard. My graphics card is a GTX 580.

I recommended activate it.

Bye!

Ive only experienced mouse lag,turning shadows off really improved FPS,running maxout out with high AA enabled

AMD quad core Black edition @4Ghz

EVGA superclocked GTX560

8 gig Ram

Windows 7 ultimate

Do you think changing this framerate="30" to 60 may help. I don't know why they would throttle the frame rate to something this slow.

Do you think changing this framerate="30" to 60 may help. I don't know why they would throttle the frame rate to something this slow.

The framerate is not capped to 30....i run at 60FPS(Vsync capped) but could untick the Vsync to get higher framerates, my guess would be that the framerate="30" you mention is there for the console release as i think thats what consoles get capped at?

The framerate is not capped to 30....i run at 60FPS(Vsync capped) but could untick the Vsync to get higher framerates, my guess would be that the framerate="30" you mention is there for the console release as i think thats what consoles get capped at?

Strange, because it is right in there with my graphic settings, and I have played new releases that have had the fps capped to 30 before. Just a thought.

How do I see my fps?