Sign in to follow this  
shloo

How many Units in Beta per carrier?

How many units can you control in the beta at once? Is it still the 8 manta's and 8 walruses as the original or can you control a lot more units? Also, can you get out on foot or can you only be in vehicles?

How many units can you control in the beta at once? Is it still the 8 manta's and 8 walruses as the original or can you control a lot more units? Also, can you get out on foot or can you only be in vehicles?

The original was 4 and 4, the beta is the same.... of course they now work whilst you are not controlling them.

G

The answer to this would be cool. Im on the fence about getting the game because I dont want to be trying to simulate an island hopping campaign and only having 5 aircraft and like 10 infantry units taking over an island when I could have many times more then that. Is there a way to up the unit count or do we have to wait for modding and the like?

And just to confirm, there is no on foot action yet right? I remember reading in the interviews for this game there would be infantry but i understand that might not be implemented yet.

And just to confirm, there is no on foot action yet right? I remember reading in the interviews for this game there would be infantry but i understand that might not be implemented yet.

Only in the SP campaign which isn't part of the beta.

Wait, so in the final game, I wont be able to control infantry units besides the scripted campaign?

From what I've read/watched that seems to be the case. Only some first person bits in the campaign.

Wait, so in the final game, I wont be able to control infantry units besides the scripted campaign?

Yes, no on-foot soldiering outside of special missions of the final campain

Hmm I hope there will be Foot action in Multiplayer-Mode in the final Version of CC. Just let's hope that. :-)

I'm hoping for some infantry scenarios too(apart from those special missions).I saw in screenies that the enemy already has those drone type soldiers.

Besides it adds to the overall immersion putting "your foot" on islands and watching those Mantas fly by or a passing Walrus.

I kind of dont want to get the game now because of the no infantry combat besides select scenarios in the scripted single player. The attraction for the game is the open ended sandbox gameplay and no infantry combat just seems absurd and a horrible design choice. Is there AI infantry at least and can a dev say something about it?

I kind of dont want to get the game now because of the no infantry combat besides select scenarios in the scripted single player. The attraction for the game is the open ended sandbox gameplay and no infantry combat just seems absurd and a horrible design choice. Is there AI infantry at least and can a dev say something about it?

I think the whole point is that you can remote control everything as in the classic carrier command. If you want infantry combat then this is probably not going to be for you...

G

I think the whole point is that you can remote control everything as in the classic carrier command. If you want infantry combat then this is probably not going to be for you...

G

I know what you mean. Its just that infantry combat makes the game feel more alive. You can't take islands without the foot soldiers. Is there AI infantry that you can order around and that the enemy uses though?

I know what you mean. Its just that infantry combat makes the game feel more alive. You can't take islands without the foot soldiers. Is there AI infantry that you can order around and that the enemy uses though?

From the screenshots I have seen the enemy has some sort of "droids" in the campaign. As far as I know that is the extent of any infantry involvement.

G

I have seen droids on one of my islands, a defensive island. so yeah there are infantry around.

I do think haveing to transport a team of humans into the comand centre to capture is out of the remake area and into adding to the game. theres a heli pad on the back of the carrier and the bases all have doorways ect so ill be betting it will either be in the game or a modded in part of the game using existing ai and graphics.

its worth the $20 to have a look even if you dont like the unit count or no infantry.

Infantry droids are certainly there - they appear as little blue dots on the map. I have no idea what they do, or what they can do with their little rifles. They go "OW!" when you squish one with a Walrus. I landed on one with a Manta - and game crashed :(

Infantry droids are certainly there - they appear as little blue dots on the map. I have no idea what they do, or what they can do with their little rifles. They go "OW!" when you squish one with a Walrus. I landed on one with a Manta - and game crashed :(

Hell yeah I found some on enemy islands. Those Robot style Droids are relativly rare and very weak (which is ok for me). - So they exist! ;-)

Bye the way, you can see those dots only if you zoom in very close.

I stand corrected - just seen a few, they didn't seem to like my laser very much !!

G

after reading that all i can hear is "VEHICULAR MANSLAUGHTER"

after reading that all i can hear is "VEHICULAR MANSLAUGHTER"

Wow, Carrier Command and Carmaggeddon all in one game !

G

I would definitely like to have infantry battles available in game modes other than the campaign.

Edited by stun

It would be fun to be able to stock droids on the carrier and deploy them from a Walrus as a cargo package. Maybe 4 or 5 droids, anti-tank or comms hacking capabilities or something - just for fun and as a backup when your hacking Walrus gets blown up.

You may have difficulty persuading those enemy drones to mount up in your Walrus so you can deploy them where you wish :)

Maybe they can be hacked?

Why are people so excited about infantry?

I'd rather not have any infantry at all in the game. There are how many thousand infantry themed games with varying levels of realism? Five thousand? Ten thousand? Thirty?? Isn't ARMA itself a mixed infantry-vehicle game? I'm sick and tired of infantry-based FPSes. The only point to infantry is to be exploded by fist-sized spider-grenade drones or run over by tanks. :p

Also, the original Carrier Command did have 8 mantas and walruses; 4 in active service and 4 replacement units on the carrier at a time. The Beta only seems to support six; it says x/2 in the supply interface. I haven't tested to see if the /2 is enforced or not (don't want to lose 400 material in an active game..)